Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow.

/ Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow. #11  
Not milky is a good thing. I suspect fuel as well. I would hold off on running it until you verify what is in there and what is causing it. Be prepared for another oil change once the problem has been corrected. Please keep us updated on your progress.

/ Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow.
Thank you for all the great comments! Oil doesn’t smell like diesel or like antifreeze. I will use an oil scan kit to see what’s next. (Didn’t know there was such a thing!). I really appreciate the comments.

Here we are a week later. I pulled the oil dipstick to check and smell the oil again…. And got a surprise! Diesel came out of the check tube under a little pressure. Now I know where the extra fluid is coming from and because the fuel tank is full it is draining into the lowest point… the crankcase. How can diesel make its way there?

/ Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow. #14  
through a leaky injector or pump.
if the fuel tank is full whats draining into the crankcase?

/ Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow. #15  
Or the fuel lift pump (priming pump).

through a leaky injector or pump.
if the fuel tank is full whats draining into the crankcase?
I should say WAS full. I filled it prior to this event and didnt put any hours on it. It is now down from full. Crankcase is sealed with dipstick, so it’s not draining all the way out.

/ Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow. #17  
Don't try to crank it over--A cylinder could be full of diesel. You could break the crankshaft or a rod. You need to determine where the diesel is coming from. Pull the injectors before trying to start. If diesel squirts out of a port, that injector is bad. If not, the pump is probably leaking into the crankcase. It could be a lift pump (if equipped) or the injector pump.

Don't try to crank it over--A cylinder could be full of diesel. You could break the crankshaft or a rod. You need to determine where the diesel is coming from. Pull the injectors before trying to start. If diesel squirts out of a port, that injector is bad. If not, the pump is probably leaking into the crankcase. It could be a lift pump (if equipped) or the injector pump.
Thanks for the warning! …and advice.

/ Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow. #19  
I had a similar situation with my David Brown 880 Tractor. Turned out it was the lift pump. Had a small pin hole in the diaphragm and steady diesel leaking made Oil. I actually had a runaway engine but no damage. Repaired lift pump and all was well. Good luck finding your cause/solution, Dutchy

/ Diesel IH 464 throwing watery oil out overflow. #20  
Not sure what type of lift pump the 484 has. Most older internationals I am familiar with had fuel lubricated Bosch (German Neuss engine’s ) or Ambac Model 100 systems (Melrose Park engine’s). Older engines would have CAV or Stanadyne (Rosa Master) systems, again fuel lubricated.

All of these systems would have a primary leak path through the front shaft seal if the seal is worn or damaged.

Oil dilution with fuel eventually caused the oil level to rise and the viscosity to drop. Eventually the crankshaft whips the oil, causing liquid mist to escape through the breather syste.

Sounds like you need an injection pump rebuild.

Last edited: