Diesel Stank

/ Diesel Stank #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
I spilled a little diesel fuel in the trunk of my car. It stinks and continues to stink. It's a convertible but winters coming.

I mixed a bunch of sand and saw dust together and put it in the trunk and drove up and down hills etc. That did a good job of soaking up the oil but, still have the smell.

Any suggestions.

thx

/ Diesel Stank #3  
Nothing I have used, works better than this product: Amazon.com: Briggs and Stratton 1158 Gas Off Spray, 8 oz: Garden & Outdoor

I keep a bottle in each vehicle.

It takes the gas, or diesel smell off my hands easily. I think it will be your best bet.

In the future I suggest you put your jugs into some sort of containment vessel that is removable in the even of a spill, like a plastic tote.

/ Diesel Stank #4  
Get some stuff from an undertaker. What my wife uses: something called XO.

One reason why we still have the Tacoma. Otherwise, I'd be having a trailer hitch and buy one of those racks to insert into the hitch to carry nasty stuff.

Even had some diesel leak in the bed of the Tacoma last time and stunk up the garage. Wife went out with the XO.

Ralph

/ Diesel Stank
Thx for the suggestions re stinky diesel. All good ideas but, I had that no duh moment when it was suggested I put a container in the trunk of the car. No duh! My initials aren't D.A. for nothin!

I'm staying away from the undertaker for a while, they might not let me leave!

thx again

/ Diesel Stank #6  
If it's not carpeted Simple Green would probably do the job.

/ Diesel Stank #7  
I spilled a little diesel fuel in the trunk of my car. It stinks and continues to stink. It's a convertible but winters coming.

I mixed a bunch of sand and saw dust together and put it in the trunk and drove up and down hills etc. That did a good job of soaking up the oil but, still have the smell.

Any suggestions.

thx

I have been driving all Diesel cars and pickups since 1990 and this would not be a problem at all...

Love that smell ;-))

/ Diesel Stank #8  
To get the smell out of the trunk you have to first remove all the diesel. If the trunk has a carpet or pad remove it from the trunk. Clean the bare trunk thoroughly and use your choice of cleaner deodorizer to remove the smell from the bare trunk. Then clean and deodorize the carpet / pad in the same manner. You may want to leave the carpet/ pad out of the vehicle for a few days to make sure the odor is gone from the bare trunk. Might help to place the carpet/pad out in the sun to air out. I like Febreze products to remove or mask unwanted odors.

/ Diesel Stank #9  
My Dad used to come here with a lady friend that drove a fancy Riviera. He sometimes took Jerry cans home of diesel in her trunk. One spilled. I think she had to take the car in to a detailer.

I might even try a wrecker to get a new carpet. I would remove it and soak it in detergent, then pressure wash it. Hot water would probably be better. Often the smell just kind of changes and gets less, but is still there. A real mess for sure.