Dirt Dog - All Purpose Plow / Field Cultivator REVIEW + PICTURES

/ Dirt Dog - All Purpose Plow / Field Cultivator REVIEW + PICTURES #31  
I have an MX5200 and am pulling a Fred Cain 9 shank unit I got from EA. It works just fine under most conditions unless I'm trying to plow wet clay. I would go 9 because even if it struggled during a first tillage it will not on the second. The shanks are removable, and technically you can add extras to the frame, but it was cheaper to get the 9 and possibly use 7 vs going the other way. I do plow in 4wd and have loaded tires all around.

/ Dirt Dog - All Purpose Plow / Field Cultivator REVIEW + PICTURES
1. I see tool bars with a single bar and tool bars with multiple horizontal bars. But I am a little confused and have really basic questions. Other than the number of items you could mount on one, is there some benefits to having multiple rows of bars?

The greater length of a multiple tool bar implement, the smoother and leveler the output behind the implement will be after one pass.

2. Also on the chisel plows, I **really** see many differences on what people call a chisel plow?

Tractor and implement nomenclature is not very precise. To me, a chisel plow is a conservation plow with a heavy reset spring protecting each shank. For compact tractors other names for this implement are ALL PURPOSE PLOW and FIELD CULTIVATOR.

I have a JD2355 tractor. 2-WD or 4-WD?

John Deere 2355​

John Deere 2355 tractor photo
1987 - 1992
55 Utility Series
Utility tractor
John Deere 2355 Power
Engine64 hp
47.7 kW
Drawbar (claimed)47 hp
35.0 kW
PTO (claimed)55 hp
41.0 kW
Drawbar (tested)46.7 hp
34.8 kW
PTO (tested)55.9 hp
41.7 kW
John Deere 2355 Weight
2WD ROPS Shipping5965 lbs
2705 kg
2WD cab Shipping6945 lbs
3150 kg
4WD ROPS Shipping6637 lbs
3010 kg
4WD cab Shipping7552 lbs
3425 kg

3. I am considering is a single configurable implement for small jobs mainly on my 8-acre hay field. These would be occasional only jobs such as, making a couple of furrows where I have to re-plant tifton tops (plant by hand). Drag something over hard pan soil (red clay) to cut slits in the soil for moisture to soak in some. Scratch in (disc lightly) overseed / rye for the fall. I by no means want to properly renovate with this piece of equipment which would require too heavy duty of an implement here. Years ago, I had a 5-shank renovator. There are places where the soil was looser, and I could get all 5 shanks in, but that was a miracle. So, I used (3) most often and in the harder soil the moisture had to be perfect.

I recommend a seven-shank (2-WD tractor) or nine-shank or twelve-shank (4-WD tractor) All Purpose Plow as cost effective for your applications. Draw only when the soil moisture is perfect.

Attachments

• DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 317

Last edited:
   / Dirt Dog - All Purpose Plow / Field Cultivator REVIEW + PICTURES
Where can I get replacement reversible tips and bolts for a Fred Cain spring protected field cultivator? I need nine replacements with (specialized) bolts and appropriate nuts.

eBay:

Correct plow bolt size: 7/16"-14 X 1-3/4"

(#3 plow bolts - 1/3/4" length)

A plow bolt is a type of fastener that is used for making mechanical connections that require a smooth, or flush, surface at the location where the bolt head protrudes. These were so named because of their early use in the manufacture of plows.

While it has been five years since I last purchased a point replacement I am confident the SKU IF210UB will be an exact point replacement.

More Venders:

cultivator point if210 for sale

Contemporary Fred Cain, Bush Hog and Dirt Dog Field Cultivators are identical except for paint.

Last edited: