Dirt Scoop

/ Dirt Scoop #1  

mwemaxxowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 1880 with FEL and canopy
I'm using a White/Iseki Field Boss 21 4wd. It's a 21 hp tractor, and has a rack with weights on the front. I would love to add a bucket to it but I highly doubt that's in the cards for me financially. I can get attachments for the 3 point hitch that should do everything I need.

I'm stuck deciding between a 30" or 36" dirt scoop. I found one thread on this forum discussing a 36" scoop, and there was a lot of back and forth about whether or not it will work on a smaller tractor.

I'm fairly certain it has a class 1 hitch but I'll be honest I don't know for sure. I've used a box scrape, landscape rake, and a 6' finish mower behind it and they all worked fine. Until I found that thread I didn't even know there are different classes of 3PH. .

What do I need to check?

I have 1 acre of land, and about half of it is lawn that I have sodded and really meticulously try to maintain. Next spring I will get a load or two of sand brought in and work on top dressing and leveling the lawn. The more sand I can haul per scoop the better! This is a process I'll probably have to do every year for a few years to really get it where I want it. This is currently my biggest desire for the dirt scoop. Beats a wheelbarrow and shovels!

I did a good bit of work this spring with a gold cart, shovels, and a small dumping trailer.

There IS an agri-supply within 30 minutes of me. I probably just need to load up the tractor, haul it up there, and see it the 36"er will fit properly, clear the tires in both orientations, etc.

Like so IMG_20200530_103739861_HDR.jpg

/ Dirt Scoop #2  
Maybe rig up a stick or piece of small PVC pipe the width of the scoops pins and run the lift up and down? Rock it sideways to check for tire clearance. Make sure the lift arms go wide enough to clear the end of the pins when hooking it up. Some pins can go inside the A frame I believe.

I have been looking at auction yards and farmers weed lines of old equipment for a used one. My dad had one years ago. I dont believe it was reversible though which is what I would want. Those suckers can dig with enough traction! Aggravating at times too. Poor mans FEL.

/ Dirt Scoop
That's exactly why I want it! Haha

A few years from now when some much more necessary purchases have been made, perhaps I can price having a FEL added to the tractor, if it's even possible. Technically the tractor wouldn't be worth it but the value I'd get would.

Still, it's not in the cards for now.

Also, has anybody used both a 30" and a 36" dirt scoop? Is there a substantial improvement in capacity? I can't find any specs listed for the carrying capacity of the AF 36" scoop. And, that's the only one I can find.

/ Dirt Scoop
I probably should have put this in the attachments section. Sorry about that!

/ Dirt Scoop #5  
$319 for a 30" reversible dirt scoop is certainly a poor man's loader. I would recommend the 30" over the 36" for a smaller tractor (traction).

/ Dirt Scoop #6  
IMG_20170409_165813922.jpg
Took measurements..
Overall frame width 38"
Between pins turned in 28" and about 33 with lift arm hooked up
Pan 30W by 30L x 10" deep
I don't think you would want this on a smaller unit.

Last edited:
   / Dirt Scoop
It's also not far from double the price, and I doubt it will do double the work.

Attached is a picture of the same tractor. I don't have a picture of mine (if you read my intro post it's not actually mine, it's my dad's and it's currently parked at his house in his shop). I just googled this picture.

If it makes a difference, it is 4wd, with knobby tires and weights on the front. I think the tires are just filled with air. p1401500632800259.jpg

/ Dirt Scoop #8  
I'm using a White/Iseki Field Boss 21 4wd. It's a 21 hp tractor, and has a rack with weights on the front. I would love to add a bucket to it but I highly doubt that's in the cards for me financially.

I've used a box scraper and landscape rake, behind it and they worked fine.

I have 1 acre of land, about half acre is lawn that I have sodded and really meticulously try to maintain. Next spring I will get a load or two of sand brought in and work on top dressing and leveling the lawn.

Have the sand dumped in the middle of your lawn when the soil is dry. You will not injure the sod.

Spread sand in rays from the center pile with the Box Blade. Finish spread with the Landscape Rake used on an angle, so sand move across the rake face. Touch up result with a hand rake.

I believe the triple combination above will work better for you spreading sand than a dirt scoop.

Box Blade is for soil/sand transport over short distances like within 1/2 acre.

Dirt Scoop is for soil/sand transport over longer distances like 75' to 300'.

White Field Boss 21

1986 - 1988
Subcompact Utility tractor

Production:
Distributor: White
Manufacturer: Iseki
Original price (USD): $8,500 (1988)

White Field Boss 21 Engine:
Isuzu 1.2L 3-cyl diesel
White Field Boss 21 Power:
Engine: 21 hp [15.7 kW]
PTO (claimed): 19 hp [14.2 kW]

Capacity:
Fuel: 6.1 gal [23.1 L]

3-Point Hitch:
Rear Type: I

Power Take-off (PTO):
Rear PTO: transmission
Rear RPM: 540
Front PTO: crankshaft-driven
Front RPM: 2600

Dimensions & Tires:
Wheelbase: 59 inches [149 cm]
Width: 42.9 inches [108 cm]
Weight: 1584 to 1672 pounds
Front tire: 4.00-12
Rear tire: 12.4-16 (2WD)

White Field Boss 21 attachments:
In addition to the 60-inch mid-mount mower, the Field Boss 21 could be equipped with rear finish mowers (48, 60, or 46-inch), rear flail mowers (50-inch), and rotary cutters (42, 48, or 60 inch). Front and rear 60-inch blades were available, plus a 4.5 foot box scraper. Three-point mounted tillers were fitted in 32 or 40 inch widths.

60" Mower deck:
Type: mid-mount White
Cutting width: 60 inches [152 cm]

Loader:
Loader type: White 1025QA

Field Boss 21 Serial Numbers:
1986: TE3210T00595 (2WD)
1987: TE3210T00652 (2WD)
1988: TE3210T00967 (2WD)
1986: TE3210F02879 (4WD)
1987: TE3210F03079 (4WD)
1988: TE3210F04003 (4WD)

Mechanical:
Chassis: 4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD optional
Steering: manual
Brakes: mechanical expanding shoe
Cab: Two-post ROPS. Optional canopy and radio.

Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Pressure: 2064 psi [142.3 bar]
Total flow: 5.5 gpm [20.8 lpm]

Electrical:
Charging system: alternator
Charging amps: 35

Battery:
Volts: 12

Page information:
Last update: June 6, 2017
Copyright: Copyright 2017 TractorData LLC

Last edited:
   / Dirt Scoop #9  
I built my own scoop, lifts with a winch. I made the bucket 36" wide and it works pretty good for what it is. I moved all that gravel in the background with it. Yours being a bigger tractor, I would think a 36" would be no problem.
IMG_1298.jpg IMG_1301.jpg

/ Dirt Scoop #10  
It's also not far from double the price, and I doubt it will do double the work.

Attached is a picture of the same tractor. I don't have a picture of mine (if you read my intro post it's not actually mine, it's my dad's and it's currently parked at his house in his shop). I just googled this picture.

If it makes a difference, it is 4wd, with knobby tires and weights on the front. I think the tires are just filled with air. View attachment 676277

You probably need to stay with a 30" scoop..
It would be a better fit for your tractors capabilities and weight.
There's a huge difference when loading in reverse with loose, dry non-compacted dirt/sand than a double axle load that's been dumped sitting and wet.