Disable tractor seat shut-off?

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #41  
I have a Kubota B3030 HST. If you are off the tractor seat, the engine will kill if you push the HST pedal, if the PTO is engaged, or if the HST speed control is engaged. I installed an ammo box behind the seat but noticed it will engage the top of the seat and hold it down.
On my steep property, I realized that box location was dumb.
The seat switch is a momentary contact switch which closes when you sit on it.
To stand up for forks, etc. instead of an on/off switch (you can forget) or a timer, what about a momentary contact switch somewhere convenient (pushbutton like the seat or toggle like JCoastie showed)? You can then hold the switch closed when you need it and still have all the safety in case you get off or are thrown off.
I used to hold the seat down standing beside the tractor to move it a couple feet, like when using the backhoe attachment to dig a trench. Of course, I had to make sure I didn't run over my feet.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #42  
I wired a switch into the seat-presence circuit, so I can either have the circuit functioning as normal or disable it with the flick of a switch.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #43  
Guess that means I have to be extra careful jumping up & down on the 3 point when I'm using the post hole digger. 😀😃🤪🤪
Get a long bar to use a lever to apply downforce to the PHD and stand back away from the tractor and PHD both. Most of the horrible accidents I’ve heard about related to tractors are associated with PHD and people applying downforce.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #44  
Get a long bar to use a lever to apply downforce to the PHD and stand back away from the tractor and PHD both. Most of the horrible accidents I’ve heard about related to tractors are associated with PHD and people applying downforce.

I think OzarkChris was being facetious. BUT your suggestion could come in handy I suppose...if there was a second person to apply the down pressure.

After threading my PHD all the way down in a split second when a root grabbed it, I don't plan to leave the seat when using the PHD...

Edit: dang spell checkers. Changed fallacious to facetious...which is what I intended to write.

Last edited:
   / Disable tractor seat shut-off? #45  
I'm glad my tractor did not come with seat switch, I practise safety by setting parking brake every time I intend to leave the seat and making sure PTO is off and engine is at idle speed before leaving the seat. I never operate behind tractor while it is running. It's like gun safety, never break golden rules. Chances are you will come out of it alive and well.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #46  
Caution.jpg

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #47  
I'm glad my tractor did not come with seat switch, I practise safety by setting parking brake every time I intend to leave the seat and making sure PTO is off and engine is at idle speed before leaving the seat. I never operate behind tractor while it is running. It's like gun safety, never break golden rules. Chances are you will come out of it alive and well.

Actually thinking about it, I actually do operate the tractor when I am not in the seat, and the PTO is running. My backhoe is operated by a PTO pump. No PTO turning, no backhoe functionality.

Also if one has a PTO operated wood chipper, then I suppose that also would require the PTO to be operating when the operator was not in the seat, if only one guy was involved in doing the work. Which is the case for most of us I think.

So there are times when people need to run the tractor PTO when not in the seat...

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #48  
Yes I've done a search and seen some ideas, but would like up-to-date input....

My new tractor is wonderful, but the only big PITA is having it shut off every time I need to jump out and grab or move something.

I understand the inherent dangers of rolling over/falling out etc, but that would be unlikely on my flat acreage.

I just jumpered my riding tractor a while back with no issues, should I do the same on my new Kioti? Thoughts?
After warranty expires! You have a seat belt that keeps you in the seat. Undo when needed and redo when completed. They recommend seat belt use with roll bar. After warranty jump switch and you will have the ”good old days” memories with today’s tractor. Your car doesn’t kill the engine when you unbuckle your seat belt and your tractor should be the same.

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #49  
Lean to put tractor in neutral and set brake..... Tractor should continue to run when you leave seat...
Not useful if hooking up loader equipment or you need to see in front of some loader equipment (forks).

/ Disable tractor seat shut-off? #50