discing

/ discing #1  

warhammer

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST
First time using a disc today.
Pics are of one pass over the ground. It is recently cleared and I am looking to make it into pasture.
It does not dig in deep enough. More passes at an angle and more weight on the disc? How much weight would be in the ballpark?

Warhammer

Attachments

• DSCN1102.JPG
    DSCN1102.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 630
  • DSCN1106.JPG
    DSCN1106.JPG
    208.1 KB · Views: 637
   / discing #2  
Add weight till you get the desired results or the tractor can't pull it.

You might want to look at the angle too.:D

/ discing #3  
Sometimes it is too dry to disc. As far as weight goes it's whatever you tractor can pull. If the disc axles are riding on the ground it's time take some weight off.

/ discing
3-4 days ago it was way too wet to disc.....
Its hard to win sometimes. ;o}

Sometimes it is too dry to disc. As far as weight goes it's whatever you tractor can pull. If the disc axles are riding on the ground it's time take some weight off.

/ discing #5  
I have an old Ferguson 7' disk that weighs about 600#. On the first pass over new sod it goes about 4" deep in soft soil. Three passes will get me 9" deep and the ground will be worked nicely. I can't add weight. My B7800 won't pull it. I only use the disc for a small food plots.

/ discing #6  
for one pass, that looks pretty good. Sometimes I make as many as 8 passes if the soils is hard and never worked before. THe other option is either a heavier disc (but would still take several passes) or do what I have started doing-using a moldboard plow first. It greatly speeds up the discing.

/ discing
Thanks for the replies.
This ground falls into the not worked in decades category. Below is a pic of an area after I had mowed it a few times for the first time since the early 80's at least.
I was thinking of buying some plastic containers and casting some concrete weights but the size of the weight platform is an odd size at 8x30 in. and I have not had luck finding anything.
I will try several passes over a realtively small area and see how that goes.

Warhammer

for one pass, that looks pretty good. Sometimes I make as many as 8 passes if the soils is hard and never worked before. THe other option is either a heavier disc (but would still take several passes) or do what I have started doing-using a moldboard plow first. It greatly speeds up the discing.

Attachments

• DSCN1090.jpg
    DSCN1090.jpg
    674.4 KB · Views: 433
   / discing #8  
Good luck. Getting a disc to work the ground well is one of the most pleasing things I have done with a tractor.

/ discing #9  
I would measure the top boxes and build some cement forms out of 2x6 lumber to make some weights, that disc looks light. It will take several passes with this disc to get results, be patient.

/ discing #10  
Try a cross discing pattern on the plot inbetween your regular pattern..