Ditch mower from bush hog?

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #1  

o2batsea

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45C 2005
I have need of a ditch mower. The tractor in question is a Kioti DK35 Cab model. It has rear remotes. Hydraulics are the run of the mill loader set up with joystick.
I was looking around on ebay to see whats out there and saw something like this:

Well if that isn't a Bush hog offset with hydraulic drive/control I'm a monkey's uncle. Well, maybe I'm a monkey's uncle anyway, but that looks like something pretty straightforward to cobble up from off the shelf parts.
Has anyone made one of these things or am I about to waste a lot of time on a bad design?

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #2  
Well if that isn't a Bush hog offset with hydraulic drive/control I'm a monkey's uncle. Well, maybe I'm a monkey's uncle anyway, but that looks like something pretty straightforward to cobble up from off the shelf parts.
Has anyone made one of these things or am I about to waste a lot of time on a bad design?

There was a thread on this a recently, someone was building one. I would just say to make certain your tractor he heavy enough for what you build, the woods mower you linked requires a 4-5k# tractor to run it.

Aaron Z

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #3  
I just got rid of a IH1066 that weights over 11,000 lbs and it had weighted rear wheels and front weights also.

I had the S106 woods mower and when I raised that deck or lifted that mower it threw that tractor around. You really need to watch working those type mowers. I could raise the deck but I did it slowly and that heavy tractor would tilt from the weight transfer.

I was surprised that woods says you only need a 5000 lb tractor to run the S106. Trust me you need more of a tractor unless they really changed those mowers.

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #4  
I agree with the others that a big ***** tractor, properly counter-balanced, seems in order. However, note the wheel placed just about at the fultrum point at the mower pivot. Perhaps that minimizes the tractor 'roll' tendencies. The 16" extention feature, would only multiply that 'roll', unless all the weight is placed on the mentioned wheel. Still don't know as I'd want to cut a pond bank, without a serious machine! ~Scotty

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #5  
Tractor weight matters, and so does that tail wheel. In the first picture, the guy's driving down a ditch mowing a bank beyond. If there's any wetness in the ditch and the tailwheel sinks in (it's pretty narrow) all that weight is out there trying to turn the tractor on its side, or just tweaking the 3-point. In the second pic, even worse; any small obstruction or water cut throws the tractor around and the weight pulls the tractor sideways too.
I'd want a much bigger tail wheel, and another on the far side of the mower, and even then an industrial tractor with real heavy 3-point links. Might be worth the aggravation compared to a weedwhacker fighting snakes and yellowjackets though, so a cab would be part of the deal. Let us know what you do.
Jim

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #6  
Tractor weight matters, and so does that tail wheel. In the first picture, the guy's driving down a ditch mowing a bank beyond. If there's any wetness in the ditch and the tailwheel sinks in (it's pretty narrow) all that weight is out there trying to turn the tractor on its side, or just tweaking the 3-point. In the second pic, even worse; any small obstruction or water cut throws the tractor around and the weight pulls the tractor sideways too.
I'd want a much bigger tail wheel, and another on the far side of the mower, and even then an industrial tractor with real heavy 3-point links.
it looks like there are wheels on both sides of the deck (on the front) in addition to the swiveling tailwheel.

o2batsea, here is the thread I was talking about: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/89067-ditch-bank-mower-build.html

Aaron Z

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #7  
About 7 years ago I was going across part of Itawamba county after an auction and saw a Yanmar dealer and was hoping they had some wieghts. I found what I needed in the scrap pile and noticed a man with a 2210 yanmar mowing a ditch bank. He had a junked 38 inch brush hog that he had mounted a set of hinges to one side then took a carry all frame with 2 arms added to ton side to make the offset.He had unbolted the cutters box and rotated it 90 degrees to the left and bolted it back doen then used a double yoked shaft to give some flex in it when rasing the deck so as not to Bind up the drive line. then He had a 1to1 gear box that was mounted on the carryall frame that sent power the the little hogs box. It set ptreet good ways out from the tractor. And it was counter weighted good. He had a winch to raise and lower it. He mowed 3000 feet of hi driveways shoulder then would move over to mow some of the weeds in the ditch.

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #8  
You're right Aczlan - I didn't see the little wheel on the far front edge. Pretty small compared to some of the stuff you find in ditches, though...
Jim

/ Ditch mower from bush hog? #9  
I have a S105 Woods ditch bank cutter and love it. I bought it at a farm auction for $200. I pull it behind a Kubota L4240 (about 6-7K# with loader and filled tires) and have no problems with it being too heavy. Mine does not even have the tail wheel option like the one in the picture. I have 400 pounds of suitcase style weights on the opposite end and it balances it out really well. I cut the banks of my ponds. It also works well for cutting under branches near tree lines and cutting near fence lines because you dont have to get so close with the tractor. It is by far my favorite implement. I am a mechanical guy so all of the drive lines and gear boxes fasinate me. If anyone needs any more info on it let me know.

/ Ditch mower from bush hog?
Well after seeing all the responses, it would appear that the best solution to this problem is a kid with a weed whacker. Guess I'll go hit up craigslist.