DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #1  

k9runner

Tractor
None yet
I'd like to do the 50 hour service on my GC1705 myself and have been scouring the forum for info. Based on what I've found I believe I need to purchase the following:

Oil filter - Mobil 1 M1-103
Hydraulic filter - WIX 57089 or NAPA 7089
4 gallons of Permatran 821xl or equivalent
3 quarts Mobile 1 DelVac ESP 5w40
high temp thread sealant for hydraulic drain plug
drain pan big enough to catch 3ish gallons of hydraulic fluid

Am I missing anything?

Dealer is quite a drive for me and they want close to $450 to do the service; so far it looks like I can get everything I need from the farm supply store that is only 10 minutes way.

Thanks,
Michael

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #2  
Good quality grease and a grease gun if you don't already have one

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #3  
Might want to take a peak at your fuel filter. Shouldn't need changing, but really depends on your fuel supply. Regardless, I'm not sure there is an aftermarket equivalent, so you may want to pick up a couple next time you are near the dealer too.

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #4  
I suggest you use the Amsoil synthetic transmission oil. Yes, it's expensive. It doesn't cost more, if you leave it in there longer.

If you don't want to, and you can't get Permatran, I suggest you use the Kubota, Case, or other compatible premium fluid. It's not worth saving 20 bucks buying some generic oil, from the farm store, that may or may not be as good.

I don't know where the cross reference came from, for the hydraulic filter. I am not aware of anything that shows this as a compatible replacement. If it is, great. But I haven't seen it.

I would also suggest 2 quarts of synthetic 80-90w HP gear oil, in the front axle, rather than transmission oil. HP gear oil protects hypoid gears better. Though it may not be necessary, it's only a few bucks more.

Look real hard for grease fittings, that have not been greased. Chances are, there are some.

Don't forget to remove and clean, the suction screen, behind the left tire.

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #5  
The OP mentioned a cost of a 50 hour service would be $450 atbthe dealership. Is that really thevtypical price? Seems higher than I would have guessed. How much labor time is required to do the 50 hour service?

Last edited:
   / DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #6  
An hour or 2 at the most !!
Cost of oil & filters + labor @ 95-100$/hour....I would say they're pretty close !

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #7  
Knowing the right parts needed to do a 50 hour is certainly important. But I'm considering taking a stab at it myself also (I've already changed the oil and filter once at 40 and now I'm coming up on 80 hours on the meter :)

But I have to assume there are some tricks and tips that would also be handy to know (subcompact category).

As an example the front axle/drive change of fluid . . I noted the suggestion of gear oil instead of transmission oil . . thats a handy tip. But what I'm wondering is . . . Is there a way to warm up the fluid before draining it to get it flowing better?

And then . . How do you know how much to fill it . . as I don't see a sight glass or indicator showing ?

Any other technics on the 50 hour service would be helpful as well.

Thanks

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #8  
You fill it right up to the top (front axle)
The only way I think you can warm it up is drive it around for while.
Follow your owners manual...step by step....very easy, straight forward, basic maintenance.
At 80 hours...you should have done the front axle and transmission/hydraulic @50 I believe.

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #9  
You fill it right up to the top (front axle) The only way I think you can warm it up is drive it around for while. Follow your owners manual...step by step....very easy, straight forward, basic maintenance. At 80 hours...you should have done the front axle and transmission/hydraulic @50 I believe.

I have a GC1705 and my front axle cap has a level indicator like a dip stick on it. If you overfill they might leak out the top.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet

/ DIY 50 hour service questions - GC17xx #10  
I also recall it being a PITA to get the air bubble out of the front axle so fluid could across to the other steering knuckle.

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet