DIY fire pit

/ DIY fire pit #43  
IMG_2329.JPG

Trying out a SS clothes washer tub for fire pit. Found a commercial SS stock pot lid to cover it. Good thing it is smokeless and easy to cook on.
Built fires on the ground in the same spot for 40 years. Rains wash the ashes away and occasionally mow over. Any wood or structure near short grass attracts black widow spiders so we have to always be aware. Horses and dogs liked to chew charcoal stubs when cold.

Last edited:
   / DIY fire pit #44  
View attachment 762833

Trying out a SS clothes washer tub for fire pit. Found a commercial SS stock pot lid to cover it. Good thing it is smokeless and easy to cook on.
Built fires on the ground in the same spot for 40 years. Rains wash the ashes away and occasionally mow over. Any wood or structure near short grass attracts black widow spiders so we have to always be aware. Horses and dogs liked to chew charcoal stubs when cold.
My neighbor did the same thing but....
He mounted his on an old push lawnmower whose motor was removed.
That made it a portable fire pit.

/ DIY fire pit #45  
Mine is similar to yours PJ. Once it heats up there is very little smoke. Once ash builds up I’ll hit it with my backpack blower.

/ DIY fire pit #46  
Pretty sweet. I want to do something similar next to the pool in my yard but with a chimney. I've been warned that chimneys are complicated though - anyone ever done such a thing?

/ DIY fire pit #47  
Mines a little rustic - smoky too. Probably doesn't belong in this thread

P1010884.JPG

gg

/ DIY fire pit #49  
Pretty sweet. I want to do something similar next to the pool in my yard but with a chimney. I've been warned that chimneys are complicated though - anyone ever done such a thing?
No, but... I was going to have an outdoor fireplace built and found out that it needed a 15' tall chimney for it to draw properly and the shape of the firebox is also important to have the air flow into the chimney correctly. My neighbor has an outdoor fireplace with a 10' chimney and they've had a lot of trouble with getting it to draw correctly.

/ DIY fire pit #50  
PJRAM, nice work... should treat you well for years to come!

I've been a fan of sitting around fires for years... last place we lived didnt have the greatest place for a fire ring, but it worked. We moved recently, and I've been looking for the 'right spot's to make a nice one... no luck yet, but we did drop some landscaping blocks in the yard a few days ago, will work for now.
20221005_190344.jpg