DIY Granite countertop?

/ DIY Granite countertop?
The wet grinder/polisher I got off eBay came with a 3/4" ogee grinder. It took me about an hour to grind it. I think I could do it in about 1/2 that time now that I know how it works.

You're right about the mess, I put on my rain gear and still had wet feet.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #52  
I didn't know that you could get bits to shape granite on a grinder. I know that's how they cut the holes for the faucets. They use a hole saw bit in their grinder and do it dry with a guy holding the vacuum, but I've never seen them do an edge like yours before in a clients house.

Last edited:
   / DIY Granite countertop? #54  
Thanks for the link. When considering what good quality wood router bits cost, they are not that much more money. I'm not planning on doing this, but it's nice to know that there are some good options out there!!!!!

/ DIY Granite countertop? #55  
I'm going with it's possible to DIY this. Better tools would make the job easier and I would suggest learning with a round over or bullnose instead of an ogee but, there nothing overly complicated here. I still have some polishing to do but, if you can finish auto paint or furniture, it's essentially the same process.

Pictures:

1 - The scrap granite
2 - Oh, the smell of Mainland China!
3 - Wet/dry diamond wheel, I trickled water on from the hose, couldn't feed through the arbor as pictured. Don't plunge all the way through with your cut on the first pass, score it about 1/8" and go another 1/8" on each successive pass until you're all the way through, you have more control that way.
4 - Start of the ogee
5 - After a couple of hours. I've started with the 200 grit wheel, still have a little shaping left to finish out and polish. My cut wasn't as smooth as it could've been so I've got to clean up the edge some as I polish it.View attachment 586233View attachment 586234View attachment 586235View attachment 586236View attachment 586237

Looks great. Did you fasten a straight edge to the slab or just freehand it? Ive been told that the router bits are only good for a one or two uses, what do you think about the wear?

I marked the line with a straight edge and then cut it free hand. Since I used a grinder to cut it, I'm not sure how I'd use a guide.

I don't see any appreciable wear on the edge bit but, this is only a 32" piece of granite. Without having a lot of experience, all I can say right now is that I kept plenty of water flowing. With metal or tile cutting, heat kills the tools faster than anything else so I'm assuming the same holds true with stone.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #57  
I marked the line with a straight edge and then cut it free hand. Since I used a grinder to cut it, I'm not sure how I'd use a guide.

I don't see any appreciable wear on the edge bit but, this is only a 32" piece of granite. Without having a lot of experience, all I can say right now is that I kept plenty of water flowing. With metal or tile cutting, heat kills the tools faster than anything else so I'm assuming the same holds true with stone.

Ok, thanks. That is my assumption too, but the fabricator we use always brings it up when haggling price. He has shown me invoices for new cutters but the old ones always are always in the trash before I get there :rolleyes: I consider that to be part of the game, no harm no foul.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #58  
If you're planning on doing the work yourself, I would recommend reaching out to a professional countertop installer or fabricator to get some advice on the best way to go about it.