DIY Granite countertop?

/ DIY Granite countertop? #31  
After having our kitchen changed to granite,, we wanted it for the vanity's in two bathrooms,,
The shop that does the granite charges a customer for an entire slab, no matter how much or little is used,,

THEN, they keep the drops, and sell them, also,,

They literally have TONS of drops accumulated,,
If they are not "sold", they gotta pay to dispose of them,,

We found two drops that we wanted,, the entire charge for material and finish work was about $150 per sink.
We even had a 4 inch high trim piece added for the two parts of the top that touched the wall.

I installed them,,

Then we found another piece that we had cut and finished to replace the glass top on a coffee table,,
I think that one was $50,,,

The local shop or at least the best of them comes out and measures and builds a template to achieve a perfect fit on walls that aren’t usually square. Then they give an estimated by the SF based on the slab you want. There’s a big price difference on one slab to the next. I’m sure they’d give your drops back if you asked but how many people want those laying around. They’ve given me several sink cutouts. They make a good pizza store for a grill and a good base to attach sandpaper for sharpening.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #32  
I do a fair number of kitchen remodels every year and most of the time it's one of two different granite companies. Usually it's a simple install that doesn't take a lot of modifying at the location, but every now and then, they run into an issue and they have to cut and polish it right there. They do all of it with a hand grinder. Cut it with a diamond cut off wheal, and then shape and polish it with a variety of different disks. One guy does all the grinder work, the other guy holds the shop vacuum right next to it.

I bought a wet polisher grinder that I attach my hose to keep everything wet while polishing concrete counter tops that I made once. The mess was beyond anything that I expected. It would probably do a really good job for this. I'll never use it again, so if you are in the Tyler area, I'll sell it to you for a good price. I just don't want to deal with shipping it.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #33  
Most of the slabs cut around here are done with a CNC cutter using a lot of liquid to keep the dust down. Granite is too expensive to risk doing it by hand on a commercial basis. For a one time deal, if you can't get it done by a local shop, then doing it by hand is an option. I cut a single piece and rounded the edge for a shower install, where a short wall was topped with glass. It wasn't as hard as I would have thought. As far as a sink opening, if sawing it isn't an option, a diamond hole saw would be a good start, I would think. Requires a very steady hand to feed it slowly enough to cut without burning up the bit. Slower speed than a typical drill press will turn also may be a problem. I am sure I could drop it on one of my milling machines and manage a reasonable hole, in case you want to come to Florida for a few days, lol.
Before you cut off the outside edge, use that as a test area for the type of cutters you want to try. It will make holding them easier.
David from jax

/ DIY Granite countertop?
I do a fair number of kitchen remodels every year and most of the time it's one of two different granite companies. Usually it's a simple install that doesn't take a lot of modifying at the location, but every now and then, they run into an issue and they have to cut and polish it right there. They do all of it with a hand grinder. Cut it with a diamond cut off wheal, and then shape and polish it with a variety of different disks. One guy does all the grinder work, the other guy holds the shop vacuum right next to it.

I bought a wet polisher grinder that I attach my hose to keep everything wet while polishing concrete counter tops that I made once. The mess was beyond anything that I expected. It would probably do a really good job for this. I'll never use it again, so if you are in the Tyler area, I'll sell it to you for a good price. I just don't want to deal with shipping it.
Thanks Eddie, I'm only about 6.5 hours, one way, from Tyler...lol. my dad is in DFW but, I bought the one off eBay, seems a good price for a tool I only need a few times.

Wet cutting/grinding/polishing is always a huge mess. I'm planning on doing it all outside.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #35  
Theres a place called floor and decor that sells the tools for granite fab here.

I did alot of rough cuts on ours with an angle grinder and a turbo wheel. I even re-did the seam where I was unhappy with the discount guys we paid.

The cuts they made were with a little saw that looked like a mini skil saw with a diamond blade and a coke can full of water with a pencil size hole poked in the bottom.

You should be fine.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #36  
STx,

I have been following your build.

I say go for it. What is the worst that can happen? You buy a $200 tool and spend 6-8 hours figuring out that you should have found a different solution.

The only thing I would be prepared for is that you may ruin the piece of granite you have.

Good luck and remember nothing counts unless you post pictures of it.

/ DIY Granite countertop? #38  
Most of the slabs cut around here are done with a CNC cutter using a lot of liquid to keep the dust down. Granite is too expensive to risk doing it by hand on a commercial basis. For a one time deal, if you can't get it done by a local shop, then doing it by hand is an option. I cut a single piece and rounded the edge for a shower install, where a short wall was topped with glass. It wasn't as hard as I would have thought. As far as a sink opening, if sawing it isn't an option, a diamond hole saw would be a good start, I would think. Requires a very steady hand to feed it slowly enough to cut without burning up the bit. Slower speed than a typical drill press will turn also may be a problem. I am sure I could drop it on one of my milling machines and manage a reasonable hole, in case you want to come to Florida for a few days, lol.
Before you cut off the outside edge, use that as a test area for the type of cutters you want to try. It will make holding them easier.
David from jax

I’m sure a milling machine and a diamond holesaw would work but I wouldn’t be big on the granite dust all over the mill.

STx,

I have been following your build.

I say go for it. What is the worst that can happen? You buy a $200 tool and spend 6-8 hours figuring out that you should have found a different solution.

The only thing I would be prepared for is that you may ruin the piece of granite you have.

Good luck and remember nothing counts unless you post pictures of it.

Pretty much how I see it. If it works, I come out way ahead, if it doesn't, I still have a new tool and all I'm really out is a piece of scrap granite and some time.

The local shop or at least the best of them comes out and measures and builds a template to achieve a perfect fit on walls that aren’t usually square. Then they give an estimated by the SF based on the slab you want. There’s a big price difference on one slab to the next. I’m sure they’d give your drops back if you asked but how many people want those laying around. They’ve given me several sink cutouts. They make a good pizza store for a grill and a good base to attach sandpaper for sharpening.

That's what they did for our kitchen and my plan. This bathroom is in the original part of the "house" that was once a storage building, the walls in there are not just put of square, they're more like freeform.