DIY skidding winch build

/ DIY skidding winch build
Very nicely done all around Stomper. Both the tractor hydraulics and the winch look clean and professional !!! I am also interested in knowing the rope you are using ??

gg

I’m on the rope rescue team at work and the rope is an old rescue rope that was taken out of service several years ago. We take them out of service once they hit 10 years from the in service date. This one has been out of service for quite awhile now so I really can’t remember any spec other than it is half inch and rated for 9200 lbs.

Last edited:
   / DIY skidding winch build #13  
What is the rope speed? If you timed it, foot per minute maybe.

/ DIY skidding winch build #15  
I always think of them as a "capstan winch" I see you can buy the drums. Even on Amazone....

What is the rope speed? If you timed it, foot per minute maybe.

Not sure I never timed it but with the tractor at idle the spool rpm is 60 and the spool is 2.25 inch diameter so if you do the math it works out to 35 fpm. With a little throttle I can increase the rpm to go faster.

What are you operating with that 3rd function?

The winch build is nice.

Did you make the rope spool drum or buy it?

Third function is for a grapple. The came from a member from another forum but it Is the “portable winch” spool they use on their winches. They are also sold on amazon.

There have been a few like these built and there has been a few issues that are still being worked out. So I don’t have to go through everything again just go to the below link.
Skidding winch - OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota
If you do a search in the same forum for members mike Paulson and crmorse you will find their builds as well

Last edited:
   / DIY skidding winch build #20  
The 3rd function valve's page says it's a closed center motor spool valve. It must not really be closed center because your tractor's hydraulics would not work correctly with it plumbed in. If it's motor spool then when it's off the grapple cylinders would be free to move.