DK 45 Hydrostat tranny

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
Hey folks,
I recently purchased a DK45 HST and have a question about the characteristics of this transmission. The only other experience I have with Hydro is in my John Deeer lawn mower and they act differently. How should the tractor respond if i hit the hydro quickly and all the way forward or backwards.

Mine doesn't respond as quickly as my mower does. It seems to "wind up" for lack of a better way to describe it. In other words it accelerates slowly but surely. The mower on the ther hand pretty much jumps to full speed. I tapped the pedals lightly and it will roll forward or backwards an inch or two quickly so its not like a clutch when it's burnt up. It doesn't have any play.

Do any of you fish? Another example: Some trolling motors accelerate smoothly to full speed so they don't throw you out of the boat while others accelerate almost instantly to full rpms. This feels like a steady progression to full forward or reverse.

The tractor is definately accelerating slower than my mower. Is this normal?
Thanks

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #2  
In mid range my DK45 accelerates rapidly; however in high range there is a lag. I get better response if i ease into the pedal in either range.

A hydrostatic transmission has the most torque with the least amount you push on the peddle.. So i generally always gently accelerate. This is a true hydraulic drive not like some belt driven hydro lawnmowers.

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #3  
What RPM's are you running? Generally I am up around 2300, no too much lag on level ground.

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny
What RPM's are you running? Generally I am up around 2300, no too much lag on level ground.

Different rpms. I'll try it tomorrow at 2300 and see how it feels.
thanks

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #5  
Your Kioti HST has a relief valve that dumps excess pressure to protect the system when you stomp the peddle where your lawn mower does not. The mower will either lurch forward, stall the engine or spin the tires.

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #6  
Do not operate your tractor like this. You will damage it.
You should never "stab" a hydro drive system.

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #7  
Your DK45 also has neutral valves that meter the initial flow of oil when you stroke the pedals to keep the tractor from lurching. it is designed to make a smooth transition from neutral to forward or reverse.

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #8  
Do not operate your tractor like this. You will damage it.
You should never "stab" a hydro drive system.
What happens when you let off the pedal quickly? My tractor seems to slow the hydro at a specific rate, which seems to be fine on gravel in 2wd but I could see someone jackknifing towing a trailer in 2wd on grass for example.

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny #9  
Lawnmower to tractor is like bicycle to car, they're totally not the same.
Steady even pressure applied to accommodate the task at hand will get you better results. As you gain experience you will know when to let off the pedal slightly to gain more speed. It's counter-intuitive but it's how it works. No wheelies, guaranteed!:):)

/ DK 45 Hydrostat tranny
Ok so it sounds like its operating properly and its the operator that needs adjustment. Can do.
Thanks