DK45 starting question

/ DK45 starting question #1  

RJJR

Gold Member
Tractor
2011 Kioti DK45 HST
I've got about 18 hours on a DK45 that has always started quickly on the first try with minimal smoke. Today, it didn't start on the first try but did on the second. However, it started reallly rough and belched out quite a bit of whiteish smoke. No more smoking after it smoothed out and no more smoking as I've restarted it during the day? It almost acted like it was flooded but I don't know how that could have happened with the throttle at low as always. Any thoughts?
Thanks
RJJR

/ DK45 starting question #2  
If it was cold and you didn't cycle the glow plugs it will do that.

/ DK45 starting question #3  
Turn key on and wait for the glow plug light to go out, if it start right away after that turn key off back on again and wait for the glow plug light again or use the key to manual hold glow plugs on for 15 - 20 seconds.

/ DK45 starting question #4  
Mine did that even when I made sure the glow plugs were on. I don't know if it still does or if just got used to it. Anyhow, it was never really a problem, but it did make me nervous at first. It does make quite a rattle, but runs well once it's going.

I don't know if it helps to cycle the glow plugs are couple of times when it's really cold. I do know that once it's started, it's good to let it warm up a bit before operating it.

Justin

/ DK45 starting question #5  
Just bought DK 50, 50 hours and even after using glow plugs twice, excessive white smoke in the barn @ 52 degrees. I asked my saleperson to start another tractor on the lot ref. smoke and come to my house and check out mine cold start smoke. I started my 777hr 7360ss Cub Cadet with little smoke then started the DK50 which puffed a large billow of white smoke and runs rough. Cub was smooth. Salesman all Kioti's smoke at start. Both tractors use same fuel. Glow plug light works, don't know if glow plugs are working but it is sure puffing clouds. Any ideas what to check. Fuel has a cetane rating of at least 40.

/ DK45 starting question #6  
chubby,
Sure sounds to me like the glow plugs are not working.
Check to see if you are getting any power/electric to your glow plugs when you first turn on the key.

/ DK45 starting question #7  
I purchased a new DK45SE three years ago and it always started immediately and cleanly. After putting a number of hours on it the starting became more difficult (even after waiting for the glow plugs to warm). When it did start it would would be smokey for a bit and then clear up. I called my dealer about it and he told me to check the glow plug connections on the firewall under the hood. He said to make sure they were pushed all the way in until they lock. He said sometimes they might not have completely locked in when assembled and eventually lossen up. I checked and two of them were out a little bit. I pushed them in until they locked and it solved the problem. Been great ever since.

/ DK45 starting question #8  
Chubby,

Take a test light, go to your glow plugs and touch the top of one. Turn ignition key on watch for how long test light stays lit compared to dash switch. Both should be on for same amount of time. 8 to 14 seconds depending on ambient air temperature.

But before you do that check the firewall for GLOW Relay (big red wires going into it). Unplug and plug back in. Might have a bad connection.

To all - Don't forget you can use your key switch to increase time on glow plugs. Key switch positions - OFF - ACC - RUN - GLOW, 1st spring - START, 2nd spring. Let tractor cycle plugs, then YOU hold at position 4 for 5 to 7 seconds more and this will aid your starting. DO NOT HOLD LONGER OR GLOW PLUGS WILL BURN OUT.

Tony

/ DK45 starting question #9  
Thank you for the responses. Glow plugs really where not a thought, bring new. I thought this was a direct injection motor and direct injections will not start without g/plugs. Been through that with my Cub's. This morning 48 in the barn and 22 outside. It started after sitting two days but WOW lots of smoke and was missing but did pickup all cylinders after 30 seconds. Used all day except for transporting. After 30 ride on trailer, it started

/ DK45 starting question #10  
when I got home but lots smoke. Will check out g/plugs. Does anyone know what hydro oil the factory uses. So nice clean and clear I would like to continue using. No hydro whine at idle in high range. lol thanks