Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce?

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce? #1  

SmallChange

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland WM25 with 200LC front end loader, filled R4 tires 43X16.00-20 and 25X8.50-14 (had a Kubota B6200D with dozer and R1 tires)
I just got to wondering -- are there any three point hitches that can be driven downward, as opposed to just allowed to fall? Using my ripper and my auger, I often wish I could force them down. In the case of the auger I'll hang weight on the boom sometimes. Positive downward force would be a nice feature. Not that I'm going to buy another tractor to get it right now. I was just curious.

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce? #3  
When you use your auger, if you have a friend with a FEL, have him put MINOR down pressure with his bucket on the top of your auger. Not too much, cause you'll break a sheer pin by forcing the auger to do more than it's capable.

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce? #4  
The bit that came with my County Line auger has a screw on the end that pulls it right into the ground. The screw part was available at Tractor Supply last time I looked. I once had an auger attachment that went on a chainsaw. It didn't have a screw, the literature said it was supposed to shave the ground or something similar. What it did was sat on top of the ground and spun. I got rid of it and bought a clamshell hand digger that worked better.

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce? #5  
Very few tractor models -- usually specialized Ag setups -- can provide downforce on the 3-pt hitch. I believe you can still get that option on some larger Deere models. But it's not typical for compact tractors aside from some older oddball models.

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce? #6  
I just got to wondering -- are there any three point hitches that can be driven downward, as opposed to just allowed to fall? Using my ripper and my auger, I often wish I could force them down. In the case of the auger I'll hang weight on the boom sometimes. Positive downward force would be a nice feature. Not that I'm going to buy another tractor to get it right now. I was just curious.

The newer JD 4000R series tractors have 3pt down pressure as an option. As far as your auger, just get a hydraulic down pressure kit for it and you should never want for down pressure again. ;)

Attachments

• PB040025.JPG
    PB040025.JPG
    374.7 KB · Views: 389
   / Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce?
The bit that came with my County Line auger has a screw on the end that pulls it right into the ground. The screw part was available at Tractor Supply last time I looked. I once had an auger attachment that went on a chainsaw. It didn't have a screw, the literature said it was supposed to shave the ground or something similar. What it did was sat on top of the ground and spun. I got rid of it and bought a clamshell hand digger that worked better.

Mine's a County Line also, and it has the screw too. My soil's just difficult. River bank gravel cemented together with clay. Clamshell hand diggers do nothing, and even a railroad pick or a digging bar has difficulty. I've used large masonry bits to start my holes....

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce? #8  

Some post augers offer down force as an option. Problem with down force on a ripper is if down force could be applied traction to pull ripper would be significantly lowered as DF was applied

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce? #9  
Mine's a County Line also, and it has the screw too. My soil's just difficult. River bank gravel cemented together with clay. Clamshell hand diggers do nothing, and even a railroad pick or a digging bar has difficulty. I've used large masonry bits to start my holes....

Boy oh boy! You've really got it rough. I hope you find something that works.

/ Do any 3 pt hitches provide downforce?
Boy oh boy! You've really got it rough. I hope you find something that works.

In another thread a few folks around here put me onto some special augers including smaller and stronger ones. I'm sitting tight until the need reaches the $$$ threshold. Which might not be all that long....

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
Kennco 3 Row Fertilizer Distributor (A33526)
Kennco 3 Row...
55" Hay Rake wheels (4) left and (4) right (A33544)
55" Hay Rake...
John Deere 4010 Tractor (A33041)
John Deere 4010...
16' BUMPER PULL TRAILER (A32908)
16' BUMPER PULL...