Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties?

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #71  
I brought 7.5 manual snowplow in darn good shape 10 years or so for $ 150.oo that fab it to bucket,pull 2 pin back away from plow use bucket...

Attachments

• 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    472.1 KB · Views: 91
  • PF1.JPG
    PF1.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 88
   / Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #72  
I bought a used 2012 jd 2305 with loader for 12k CAD 3 years ago, 5' snow blower was 500 bucks found on craigslist. i lived in town then, hated shoveling my laneway (main road, filled in by the town snow plow twice a day.) my lane way was only 3 car lengths at that time. It all depends if you want new or if you are fine with used. Now i live in the country 2.5 acres, 2 full size driveways and parking for 15+ cars. Still use the same tractor and blower. Takes me about an hour and a half to do the the whole area (not counting time to change the sheer pins). But I would say i am at my max for the small compact tractor and blower.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #73  
My last plow rig was an F150 long bed and handled a plow really well. That lasted 16 years. My current plow is new and a lot lighter, which is a drawback. But the driveway is gravel, all down hill, and about 700 feet. I had a guy try to plow up the hill my first year and felt awful for the thrashing his 1 ton took. My first year with the plow here was in 2000 and there was so much snow that I broke the feet off and the driveway had a 5 foot high tunnel that you drove "through" to get to the road. High bush blueberries that are normally over my head (6'3") were completely buried and the snow out the window was flat across without a ripple over the propane tanks or the berry bushes. I felt it paid for itself the first year. After 10 years that set-up did not owe me a thing. Now I have a new plow for either of my F250s and I have two tractors for snow removal. During the week I use the truck to get out quick and go to work and then I clean up on the weekend with the tractor. Snowplows can be amortized over a long period of time. If you have extreme snow from time to time, having the heated cab can make a difficult storm much easier. I made a plan for the extreme times of the year, not for the 'dry' winters.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #74  
I was just pricing out a snowplow for my truck, and the price came to around $5200 for an eight foot steel plow and stuff.

Does the average homeowner or backyard farmer spend that kind of money on snow removal stuff, or is the purchase of plows limited to people who do this to make money?

Do people spend $5000 on accessories for a tractor or is that too much money for most tractor folks?

Would like to hear people's experiences here.

Thanks
I have 200 yards long of driveway and about half an acre of additional area to clear. I soon found that my tractor bucket and box blade were ok for light snow dumps, but anything heavier needed a snowblower...btw...tractor is used for a lot of summer acreage w. My 72inch wide 3 point Braber equipment blower is perfect for 6 to 8 inch snowfalls or more. I like that the snow gets thrown far as well.
Costs...I tend to look at life cycle costs, not initial capital outlays. Used equipment is in high demand if well maintained.
Invest in the right tools, you won't regret it.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #75  
I use my L2550GST with a rear blade and front loader. Our county dead end road is a quarter mile long and not always on the top of the list. No cab, no wind break, just bundle up and put on a motorcycle helmet.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #76  
I was just pricing out a snowplow for my truck, and the price came to around $5200 for an eight foot steel plow and stuff.

Does the average homeowner or backyard farmer spend that kind of money on snow removal stuff, or is the purchase of plows limited to people who do this to make money?

Do people spend $5000 on accessories for a tractor or is that too much money for most tractor folks?

Thanks
Yes. By me, driveways are 400ft+ . 10" to 50" snowfalls are typical. We get full weeks of 10degree days and below zero nights. Most everyone has a winter 'snow machine'

Attachments

• tractors with plows.jpg
    tractors with plows.jpg
    762 KB · Views: 69
   / Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #77  

Thanks
We're planning on putting it on you backhoe? Look at Virnig and FFC for rugged plows see my backhoe with Boring V. Many do get old pickup truck plows for cheap and weld them up to Quick Attach brackets with chain float. These are best for stone driveways. Some do get rear mounted snowblower that run off the PTO. You are in MASS, you know snow.

Last edited:
   / Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #78  
Right after I bought my slightly used 2016-025R I picked up a slightly used Frontier loader mounted blade for it:
HPIM3113.JPG

HPIM3143.JPG

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #79  
I bought an Artillian plow to fit on my existing fork-frame for less than $2000. To get the fork frame and hydraulics (if you don't already have them) is probably less than $1000. Having the plow cut my plow time by about 30 percent over using the bucket.

/ Do homeowners buy snowplows to plow their own properties? #80  
Yes. By me, driveways are 400ft+ . 10" to 50" snowfalls are typical. We get full weeks of 10degree days and below zero nights. Most everyone has a winter 'snow machine'
Here is your average snowfall per year. Are you sure??

The US average is 28 inches of snow per year.
Climate Averages.
Summit, New YorkUnited States
Snowfall56.1 in.27.8 in.
Precipitation135.0 days106.2 days
Sunny180 days205 days
Avg. July High78.9°85.8°