Buying Advice Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand?

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #51  
Sorry I'm late to the discussion but the OP asks a great question. Here's my general take on it. Used brand name is the best way to go because....1; there are some great deals out there right now 2; dealer support is usually better 3; if a lightly used tractor passes a knowledgeable persons (mechanic) inspection and runs normally for a short while it's probably good for thousands of hours 4; as a percentage, the re-sail will be better 5; no taxes (sales or property). Good luck and have fun Whatever you do.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #52  
Sorry I never got back to ya MTM, had a crazy holiday. Anyways I'm gonna do some snoopin around this week. Also found out Dekalb Implement, (the one who owns all the JD dealerships around here) just bought property to build a new dealership a mile and a half from my house :) so I'm pretty set on JD now. Thanks for the input though everyone.

Holiday's have been crazy.

Good to see you got a JD dealer coming back to town. Start snooping around to find a good deal. The 54 or 55 10 will suit you plenty.:thumbsup:

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #54  
CompactTractorFan said:
That's because this used to be a Kubota tractor forum. ;)

That is very true.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #55  
Well, Mahindra is hardly an "off brand" anymore. They have some of the top selling tractors in the world. But if you are looking for something to get the best bang for your buck I'd suggest looking at the Ford\New Holland 5610, 6610 and 7610. They are more that capable of working hay equipment and mid range row crop equipment. Don't get me wrong, they are no ferrari with there straight shift transmissions but they are low maintenance and were built to last.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand?
MartianTractorMan said:
Holiday's have been crazy.

Good to see you got a JD dealer coming back to town. Start snooping around to find a good deal. The 54 or 55 10 will suit you plenty.:thumbsup:

Yep, I'm still interested in the one you checked out up there, especially for such cheap.shipping. I got an injector issue goin on with my truck right now so I'm just focused on gettin that fixed first.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #57  
Illinoisdmax said:
Yep, I'm still interested in the one you checked out up there, especially for such cheap.shipping. I got an injector issue goin on with my truck right now so I'm just focused on gettin that fixed first.

I understand that. I'd be sure to give them a call when you get it figured out. Even if you ride up there you'll be impressed by their inventory. Couple years back before they sold they had about 50 acres just lined with them. They've consolidated to probably 20 now. They got everything you'd need though. Sure they would love to make a package deal with a baler and mower and you'd get quite a bit knocked off from the price then buying them all separate.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand?
I'll definitely keep ya posted

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #59  
I would say there is more Kubota owners on this forum than any other brand!

But generally speaking if you go to Used Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, tractors for sale, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Kubota and click on the different HP classes and next to the brand name it will show how many are for sale, Deere is 1st in every category with Kubota being 2nd in under 40HP, in 40 to 99HP they are 4th with Deere having nearly 3000 used for sale then New Holland being next with around 900 and MF being right with them and Kubota having 700. But from there Kubota drops way off as they really don't make any tractors over 100HP. Deere stays category leader by about 2000 tractors again for the next to categories though. I always found that interesting. Those are just used tractors for sale but they do give you a fairly accurate idea. But in no way does that show Kubota as being small to have being one of the top 3 tractor manufacturers would be pretty big in my book.

So another way to look at that data is that MORE people want to GET RID of JD!

Personally, I would shop used for larger horsepower and a cab...

^ yes, this is good advice.

/ Do I go NEW offbrand or used name brand? #60  
Ford tractor said:
So another way to look at that data is that MORE people want to GET RID of JD!

Haha. I guess there is always to sides to that coin! I know I've always had good luck with my JD though so I keep em around.