Do I need a new Backhoe?

/ Do I need a new Backhoe? #1  

CJBOTA

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 & MX5100
I am thinking about upsizing from an L3700 to a MX5100 tractor. My question is can I use the BH 76 BH from the L3700 on the MX series tractor? I don't use the hoe alot so it seems like a waste to buy new equipment. The BH 92 is real expensive and I really don't need that heavy of a backhoe.

/ Do I need a new Backhoe? #2  
The BH itself would probably work fine, but you will likely have a real adventure getting a subframe so it would fit on the new tractor. It seems doubtful the existing subframe from your L3700 would be transferrable to the MX5100, and also doubtful the subframe for the factory spec BH92 would work for a BH76. That would kind of leave the option of fabricating a custom subframe... a job for someone with some engineering and welding expertise. You could end up throwing some serious coin into such a project unless you personally have the skills or know someone else who does. As a first step, try to round up the specs. for the BH76 and BH92 installation. Then you'll know for sure what you're dealing with vs. my "armchair expert" opinions.

You also may want to find out what your L3700 + BH76 would bring in a private sale or as a trade-in. If you get a decent price, it might put you close to a factory or other BH more suited the the MX5100. That may make more money sense in the long run than having an orphan backhoe that doesn't match the tractor it's mounted to.

Good luck!

/ Do I need a new Backhoe? #3  
I agree with Grandad4, your current BH76 I do not believe will fit a MX5100 out of the box. If you don't use your current BH very much, why not sell it with your L3700 and not purchase a BH with the MX? If/when you need a BH, can you rent an mini excavator locally?

/ Do I need a new Backhoe?
You guys are right and that is exactly what I'm thinking, No BH on the 5100. Although I am really going to think this one thru before a decision is made.

/ Do I need a new Backhoe? #5  
You guys are right and that is exactly what I'm thinking, No BH on the 5100. Although I am really going to think this one thru before a decision is made.

You might consider the advantages of a hydraulic thumb, to either your existing backhoe, or the proper BH for your new machine, if you have a fair amount of specialized picking needs ("cranework" or moving heavy firewood/lifting whole logs to cut a comfortable height.)

I can't WAIT to get a BH (when I get the tractor) with a hydraulic thumb!

Have you checked Woods prices and compatibility? The larger units (BH80-X and up, I believe) have an adjustable swing speed, making "fine work" picking/setting more controllable (or so I'm told--no personal experience yet, thought I have run backhoes--just not with thumbs, hydraulic or otherwise).

Good luck--you know best what your needs are, but I just thought I'd throw that out there (thumbs UP, of course). :thumbsup:

My Hoe