Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons?

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #101  
On average here on the south shore in Houghton MI we get about 230" which falls 5+- days a week after lake snow has kicked in and it has 6.6 inches of moisture in it. (all averages) I'd guess your snow in northern ID has much, much less moisture in it. We moved here for this constant snow which is ideal for skiing which is arguably the best in NA. And for those who wonder, our schools very rarely close for snow. Wind or cold will more likely case grief but plain old snow will not..

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #102  
On average here on the south shore in Houghton MI we get about 230" which falls 5+- days a week after lake snow has kicked in and it has 6.6 inches of moisture in it. (all averages) I'd guess your snow in northern ID has much less moisture it. We moved here for this constant snow which is ideal for skiing. And for those who wonder, our schools very rarely close for snow. Wind or cold will more likely case grief but now plain old snow fall will..
schools rarely close for snow here either.l. Sometimes bus delays only. What always amazes me are the number of numbskulls standing at school bus stops in dead of winter wearing shorts and sweater.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons?
I'm south of Lansing, MI - own a Honda Pioneer 1000 with a denali plow. In 20 years I've plowed with an old Landcruiser, a 963 bobcat, a Honda Foreman, a 50 HP 4wd tractor and for the last 3 years the pioneer. My parents live 1/2 mile away, if I wasn't plowing them out I'd probably still be plowing with the quad, I bought chains for the quad, but radial tires work almost as good as chains. The pioneer works great, pushes fine, could use a little more down pressure. I do have glass windshield with wiper, soft upper doors and a heater.

Let me know if you're in the area and want to check it out.View attachment 669910

View attachment 669909

I'm in a similar situation with traveling about 3/4 mile to cover the three properties. And, that's a great offer. Thank you. I'm interested in a pioneer and it would be great to see how it drives with a plow hanging on the front and talk over your experience with the different equipment. I live only a short way north of Lansing, and during normal times I'm in Lansing 4 days a week for work. It's been less frequent this year though. Football opened back up suddenly, the day after Labor day, and it has slowed my shopping down for the next few weeks. I coach for one of my son's middle school teams, and the other plays high school ball. Games are starting this week already, but I will probably hit you up once it winds down towards the end of October to check out your machine. It's amazing how suddenly plans and schedules can change this year. Thanks again.

I have a Polaris Ranger I bought new in 2007. 700 XP. I'm luke warm on Polaris and (U), (A), (R) TVs and all TVs in general. I can't see putting 20 to 30 grand in something you have to work on all the time when you can buy a new tractor with that money. If you are interested in Polaris here is a forum that you should go join. Lots of good information there regarding purchases, maintenance and upgrades. prcforum.com

Thanks for the forum link. I’m hoping keep the purchase modestly priced. It’ll be a basic machine and a good plow setup. I’m willing to figure out roofs, windshields, heaters etc. as I go. But, I’m also getting prices with those included too.

I’m trying to be careful and not get something that’s going to break down frequently, that’s the reason I’m seeking advice from owners like you. Thanks again for the link. It looks like it may provide some good info.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #105  
my Kawasaki mule is 8 years old, never had a single issue. mind you it doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the other brands. for one its a slow machine. we use it on the property only. dont run down roads or trails. its a work machine not a toy.

Last edited:
my Kawasaki mule is 8 years old, never had a single issue. mins you it doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the other brands. for one its a slow machine. we use it on the property only. dont run down roads or trails. its a work machine not a toy.

I know a guy with a daily-use mule that has over 3000 hours on it and still going. They have my respect for reliability. The price point on basic ones can be great too, but the lack of top speed and engine braking has me hesitant. I’ve come across a couple real good deals on them too. If i were strictly purchasing a utility SxS based on price and durability I’d probably be a mule owner by now.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #107  
Lansing MI Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results

You get about 25% of the snow ArlyA gets...ignore his advice. It is good advice, but not applicable to your needs.

I lived in southern MI before moving here. You can handle your sidewalk and tight quarter snow removal needs with a walk behind snowblower and a commercial backpack blower. I get more than twice the amount of snow you get. I have an Ariens 30" snowblower as a backup if my tractor dies, and to do my sidewalks during heavy snow events. I use it less than a half dozen times a year and use the backpack blower most of the time. The Ariens I have is overkill for your needs so a smaller unit would be all you need, but get the bad *** backpack blower. Mine was about $550

If you want a toy, buy a toy. Nothing wrong with that. Getting the UTV for snow, is a mistake because you will be using it when the tractor should be used. The UTV will never hold up like your tractor.

Lansing MI Snowfall Totals & Snow Accumulation Averages - Current Results

You get about 25% of the snow ArlyA gets...ignore his advice. It is good advice, but not applicable to your needs.

I lived in southern MI before moving here. You can handle your sidewalk and tight quarter snow removal needs with a walk behind snowblower and a commercial backpack blower. I get more than twice the amount of snow you get. I have an Ariens 30" snowblower as a backup if my tractor dies, and to do my sidewalks during heavy snow events. I use it less than a half dozen times a year and use the backpack blower most of the time. The Ariens I have is overkill for your needs so a smaller unit would be all you need, but get the bad *** backpack blower. Mine was about $550

If you want a toy, buy a toy. Nothing wrong with that. Getting the UTV for snow, is a mistake because you will be using it when the tractor should be used. The UTV will never hold up like your tractor.

Well I suppose I could use snow shovels too. But in all seriousness, we've had two winters in the 14 years I've lived here that we have topped 100" of total snow fall. I'd rather not shovel that or take it on with my Stihl blower. Its also a question of time too. I have a lot of area to clear for each event. I really didn't start this thread to say my snowfall is bigger than your snow fall. Snow is something I deal with regularly during winters, and I'm looking at investing in equipment that could possibly be faster in moderate snows and fulfill other useful purposes for me as well. I'm in the market for a SxS or an upgraded quad anyway, this is really a question of whether or not I invest in snow removal attachments and winterization accessories too. And ultimately that decision may impact which brand and model I buy.

Last edited: