Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons?

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #111  
Unless you are running pods, (you might call tracks) extra HP is not the answer to all your snowplowing problems. Having ran a UTV and my personal 6x6 for pushing snow, all with pods on them. Today you couldn't tear the 6ft blade and our little 6x6 from my cold stiff fingers. I do the same job in minutes while staying dry, compared to the snow blower I used for the past 20+ years. It works just fine.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons?
Unless you are running pods, (you might call tracks) extra HP is not the answer to all your snowplowing problems. Having ran a UTV and my personal 6x6 for pushing snow, all with pods on them. Today you couldn't tear the 6ft blade and our little 6x6 from my cold stiff fingers. I do the same job in minutes while staying dry, compared to the snow blower I used for the past 20+ years. It works just fine.

That post was just for fun. I’ve been reading up on the 2 seat XD and looks interesting in stock form. The Diesel variety has a kubota diesel and is supposedly capable of 35 or 40 mph top speed , depending on which source I read from, They also publish that it has better clutches, bearings, driveshafts and wheels hubs than the standard ranger does. Along with a slightly longer bed and higher payload capacity. But I haven’t seen one in person. I was just browsing around trying to find one and came across that video.

So this company makes a 3 pt. hitch that mounts front or rear on an RTV. I know there are some members out there that will say just use your tractor, but it would be kinda cool to be able to pull a cultivator or small planter/bedder through the garden and a small back blade when clearing snow. Plus safely give some rides to the little one while doing it. It seems handy. You just never know what you'll stumble across on you tube.....Anybody ever seen or tried one of these?

UTV Hitchworks - Kubota RTV-X9 with the SnowMax Snowplow - YouTube

UTV Hitchworks - Farmboy Sport X with Landscape Rake on the 214 Kubota RTV-X9 - YouTube

UTV Hitchworks - The Farmboy on the RTV 9 pulling a 425 lb. disc harrow - YouTube

King Kutter 6’ Rake on UTV Hitchworks Sport X Hitch Demo with 219 Kubota RTV x11c - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #114  
I bought the rear version for my RTV two months ago. I have not used it too much because of a family crisis. So far I have not taxed it too heavily - A landscape rack with gage wheels on a gravel driveway, and a middle buster through non-rocky soil. All that went well. The install was not 30 minutes; it took 30 minutes just to get my fingers in to where I had to hold a nut while tightening a bolt. Other that that it went okay.

The only complaint so far is that the lift arms needlessly go all the way to the ground when lowered, and not high enough when raised. This makes uneven terrain difficult when the implements hang up. I am looking at Carters EZ hitch for more vertical clearance and maybe a two inch lift kit for the RTV to solve.

Hitting one decent sized rock with the middle buster was enough to tell me that the tractor would easily accomplish more work in most conditions. I bought the hitch because I am doing initial roads through hilly terrain where it would be scary to do while on the tractor. The idea is to safely improve the rough trail with the more stable RTV, then once passable, get the tractor in there for the real work. Jury is still out for me. After I get the box blade on there I will know more.

I bought the rear version for my RTV two months ago. I have not used it too much because of a family crisis. So far I have not taxed it too heavily - A landscape rack with gage wheels on a gravel driveway, and a middle buster through non-rocky soil. All that went well. The install was not 30 minutes; it took 30 minutes just to get my fingers in to where I had to hold a nut while tightening a bolt. Other that that it went okay.

The only complaint so far is that the lift arms needlessly go all the way to the ground when lowered, and not high enough when raised. This makes uneven terrain difficult when the implements hang up. I am looking at Carters EZ hitch for more vertical clearance and maybe a two inch lift kit for the RTV to solve.

Hitting one decent sized rock with the middle buster was enough to tell me that the tractor would easily accomplish more work in most conditions. I bought the hitch because I am doing initial roads through hilly terrain where it would be scary to do while on the tractor. The idea is to safely improve the rough trail with the more stable RTV, then once passable, get the tractor in there for the real work. Jury is still out for me. After I get the box blade on there I will know more.

Thanks for responding. I am not surprised at all about the time thing. I figure 30 minutes is about what it usually takes me to open the box, get everything laid out and glance through the directions. Then I try not to look at the clock, it only adds pressure.

I’m glad to hear that it pulled a middle buster. I have one that has been primarily used for digging up rows of taters in sandy soil. Having a UTV dump box right there to put the taters in sounds ideal. A box blade would probably be beyond what I would expect from it myself. But, I’d like to get your feedback on it when you do. Have you ever considered taking video of it in action?

The part about the arms dropping to the ground is scary. A friend broke his tractor’s back axle casting by backing over his three point hitch arms after they dug into the ground. He had nothing on the hitch and inadvertently pushed the 3pt lever down while he was grappling some wood. The 4WD pushed the back end right up and over the arm, and the cast anchor points for one of the arms broke off in the process. Now he has a one armed tractor and a $4000 repair estimate. Is it possible to add some travel stops or a check chain to the system to prevent lowering too far? Have you contacted the manufacturer to ask them if it’s supposed to do that?

Last edited:
   / Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #116  
Thanks for responding. I am not surprised at all about the time thing. I figure 30 minutes is about what it usually takes me to open the box, get everything laid out and glance through the directions. Then I try not to look at the clock, it only adds pressure.

I知 glad to hear that it pulled a middle buster. I have one that has been primarily used for digging up rows of taters in sandy soil. Having a UTV dump box right there to put the taters in sounds ideal. A box blade would probably be beyond what I would expect from it myself. But, I壇 like to get your feedback on it when you do. Have you ever considered taking video of it in action?

The part about the arms dropping to the ground is scary. A friend broke his tractor痴 back axle casting by backing over his three point hitch arms after they dug into the ground. He had nothing on the hitch and inadvertently pushed the 3pt lever down while he was grappling some wood. The 4WD pushed the back end right up and over the arm, and the cast anchor points for one of the arms broke off in the process. Now he has a one armed tractor and a $4000 repair estimate. Is it possible to add some travel stops or a check chain to the system to prevent lowering too far? Have you contacted the manufacturer to ask them if it痴 supposed to do that?

I have to do a fluid change to do before I tax it too far pulling a box blade. My box blade is only 5 foot and is the light king cutter model at perhaps 450 lbs. We will see how easily it lifts, how much the suspension sags, and how much clearance I have in the woods.

The travel is within the extent of the hydraulic cylinder. There are several options on the lift arms and other bracketry to adjust heights and I suppose, travel; I will have to take a closer look. If that does not go, adding a chain stop is a great idea.

The install kit only provides for swapping hoses between the dump bed cylinder and the 3 point hitch cylinder via quick connects. They have an electrically operated solenoid option but it was $800.

....The install kit only provides for swapping hoses between the dump bed cylinder and the 3 point hitch cylinder via quick connects. They have an electrically operated solenoid option but it was $800.

Skipping that option seems to make sense. I imagine that having something on the 3 pt. hitch would limit what you could haul and dump from the bed anyway. Plus it would probably add some wiring and switch mounting time to the install.

It seriously would be cool to see video of an actual owner using it on multiple tasks to get a good feel for how useful it could actually be.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #118  
I'm in a similar situation with traveling about 3/4 mile to cover the three properties. And, that's a great offer. Thank you. I'm interested in a pioneer and it would be great to see how it drives with a plow hanging on the front and talk over your experience with the different equipment. I live only a short way north of Lansing, and during normal times I'm in Lansing 4 days a week for work. It's been less frequent this year though. Football opened back up suddenly, the day after Labor day, and it has slowed my shopping down for the next few weeks. I coach for one of my son's middle school teams, and the other plays high school ball. Games are starting this week already, but I will probably hit you up once it winds down towards the end of October to check out your machine. It's amazing how suddenly plans and schedules can change this year. Thanks again.

No problem, my screen name at gmail.com will get a faster response.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #119  
Yes, the hand throttle is a knob on the left side of the drivers seat that sits in front of the hydraulic dump bed control lever. It’s raises the baseline engine speed independently of the foot pedal. I’ve seen it on a couple of them that I’ve looked at. And then some don’t have it. It seems like it would be good option to have have full hydro pump speed available at low travel speed. That was my assumption of why they would add it. I was hoping someone on here could fill me in more about it.

The hand throttle raises the idle speed of the motor which eliminates the lag of the accelerator peddle. Gives you more power immediately. If the rtv does not have one installed they sell a kit that is very easy to install and is well worth installing.

/ Do you actually plow snow with your UTV? for multiple seasons? #120  
I've been shopping for a UTV lately. One of the things I want it to be capable of doing is pushing snow. I live in Michigan and take care of snow on a couple properties with a tractor currently, and I'll be adding another with 300' of sidewalk to the routine next winter. I see lots of reviews of new purchases, but very little feedback from experienced owners. In my mind a Kubota RTV with a hand throttle kit and V-plow setup appears to be up to the job. But, I enjoy riding around on quads and stuff and want a little fun factor too. Is there anybody out here with a cool setup that has the capability to run 40+ mph, push 8" of snow (not at the same time of course), and has held up for a few years of doing it? Can a SxS be fun and still really do the job without breaking?

I plow more than a mile of dirt road with my Kubota X900 with a Boss V-Plow and it is amazing. Heading into my 6th winter. I also use a F250 with a 9' Fisher. Between the two I can handle any storm. The Kubota is great for light storms and clean-up. It is amazing how far back I can push snow banks back and pushing 8 inches of snow up hills is not too much for it. I don't have doors or heat, but do have a glass windshield and roof. Not much fun when it is really windy - that's when I plow in the comfort of the F250. I did install a hand throttle and that made a difference on the hills.