Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips?

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #41  
I've got such a variety of equipment that there's no way to standardize: probably true for a lot of folks here.

As has been stated, lay out ALL tools and parts in advance. Make sure you have drain containers adequately sized! (nothing like getting most of the way through and finding out you're going to overrun! - I've got a plastic oil drain pan that gets used ad-hoc and I seem to find that it never seems to be big enough!)

For my cars (TDIs) I do top-side oil changes using a manual extractor; oil filter is cartridge and I just allow it to drain most oil from it and then pull it and set it in a small pan. These cars represent the majority of my oil-changing activities, though their change interval is 10k miles. Also do top-side extraction on my Polaris (diesel). It's a bit slow but I busy myself with other maintenance activities while the pump is slowly sucking away.

NOTE: I use a piece of copper tubing to stiffen my extractor pick-up tube. Feed the plastic tubing just past the copper tubing's end and stuff it all down the dipstick tube until I hit bottom: the metal from the cooper tubing enables you to get a good feel for hitting bottom (the plastic can bend and perhaps curl back up, making it hard to tell). I can also push the plastic tubing out some more to kind of fish around.

I don't change hydraulic fluids in the tractors all that often, going by manufacturer's stated intervals. I DO have a large rolling oil drain cart/pan that I had to get in order to handle the 17 gallons of hydraulic fluid in the Kioti: hand crank pump it out and into jugs for recycling. Rather than try to perfect this operation I just go through it: lather around some old rags and go to work. I'd end up spending more time perfecting this than I'd end up saving.

Fussiest fluid to change, for me, is axle fluid in the tractors. For the B7800 Kubota made it impossible to not make a mess. The Kioti is a bit more kind. Draining and filling both represent challenges. Rags. Rags. More rags...

Oil changes in the tractors are easy enough. Plenty of clearance to slide under. And, again, change interval isn't all that demanding.

Have not managed to come to terms with my old Dodge 12V. An air compressor in the engine compartment really makes it impossible to pull the oil filter up and out, and removing from below is always a mess. Being 4wd makes it a little less of a pain in that I can readily get underneath (no jacking). Again, not a frequent enough event that I feel I have to spend a bunch of time perfecting: I'll toss some magic spells (cuss words) at it, but haven't found the right ones yet!

My diesel generator has an oil drain petcock on it: standard/factory. Nice to drain oil but when closed it still will pass a few drops over time: keep a little pan underneath.

I spent years changing fluids (not to mention lots of other more demanding mechanical work) out in the open, on uneven gravel surfaces. Now having a garage with a flat, concrete floor I find that I'm a little less jaded by/with these rather simple maintenance tasks.

Oh! Clean up around all filters and plugs before loosening/removal. Have rags available for preemptive and post work. ALSO, place a cap on your new oil container (if that's what you're dispensing from) after every time you pour from it: I've kicked over enough open containers to have now conditioned myself to automatically put the stupid cap back on, always!

Also as noted, it's one of the big selling points of electric. But, even here, I would suppose, there's still greasing (which is responsible for the majority of entries in my book of "magic spells").

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #42  
Measure once and write the exact amount on the machine or under the hood with marker. Seems everything takes a different oil and filter which adds an extra layer for your mechanicing pleasure.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #43  
I'm wondering who people are using for oil analysis & what to consider

I use AMSOIL in all my equipment and I use their Lab for UOA. Quite comprehensive/informative. However it takes several samples over time to get a baseline for each particular application. They gladly sample any brand of oil, not just their own, but they need info as to hours/miles, oil type, oil brand, viscosity, fuel type if applicable, etc. A little bit involved but easier after the first couple of times. Most of my oil changes are 2 or 3 times beyond the normal change cycle, so that saves me time and money and mess... Many other UOA labs out there, Dutchy

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #44  
I use to be a fleet mechanic for a major municipality. I still write the hours/miles and date on all filters in a visible location. I also write the drain plug size next to the oil fill. Less trips under the machine the better..and I can pop the hood, go to my tool box and come back with the correct tools and parts.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #45  
There are lots of great tips here. I’ll use some.

I can’t offer anything wise except - never begin if you are rushed for time. Don’t even start. Every mistake or problem I’ve caused myself was due to rushing.

Just take your time, enjoy the journey and be safe.

MoKelly

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #46  
I have a whiteboard I write the mileage and date of oil changes on my vehicles, tractor, when I filled my long term storage fuel cans etc. I’m going to get a larger one and write down the information like nyone suggested, wrench size, how many quarts of oil they hold etc.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #47  
Get a huge cookie sheet from kitchen supply store for a catch pan, $12, good drain pan, drain plug size written on fill cap, Sharpie mileage in top left corner of windshield, all funnels, filter wrenches, suction guns, etc in one clean tote, a HOIST! (thanks for the Father's Day present Dear,) floor dry, assorted grease gun tips for all applications and rags.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #48  
I am not sure what baseline means to us and I never give hours. I just want the numbers, is it good or not.

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #49  
When I service my equipment and need to change only the hydraulic filter (without draining the system) I attach my shop vacuum to the breather or fill port of the system to pull a vacuum then I can remove & replace the filter without loosing any oil.
Quick, easy & mess free!
90cummins

/ Do you have any Oil/Fluid changing time saving efficiency tips? #50  
What keeps the shop vac from sucking up the fluid?

Last edited: