Do you know what the purple paint law is?

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #161  
Our property has a river running all along the border. It’s a reasonably big river and most traffic are small boats with outboards.

However, there are a few floaters in summer.

There is a very nice gravel bar on our property. We use it a lot for afternoon bbq’s and bonfires. We have signs posted.

For the most part, all is fine. Every once in a while it’s clear folks stop and eat and drink on their float trip.

One day, we drive down on the ATV’s for dinner and there is a group (maybe 10) young adults there with 5 canoes drug ashore. They are drinking and had built a rotisserie, started a fire and were cooking ribs!

So —- I say “did ya’ll see the signs”? They say “uh yea but it’s such a nice stopping point”. Well, they are honest.

Turns out they were good kids and they offered to share some ribs. We had a good talk, ate some ribs and corn, they cleaned up all their stuff and went along. We have used their homemade rotisserie several times since.

MoKelly
The laws regarding use of gravel bars by river travelers is very vague here in MO. As and avid kayaker and floater of Ozark streams I have looked into it quite a bit and there is no clear answer. A lot of it depends on what LEO, prosecutor, and judge you end up with if it gets that far. But as the law sits right now I believe river travelers have the right to use your gravel bar.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #162  
The laws regarding use of gravel bars by river travelers is very vague here in MO. As and avid kayaker and floater of Ozark streams I have looked into it quite a bit and there is no clear answer. A lot of it depends on what LEO, prosecutor, and judge you end up with if it gets that far. But as the law sits right now I believe river travelers have the right to use your gravel bar.

Thanks. Fortunately, we are in Jefferson County. No problems with the Sheriff Office and landowner rights.

You always welcome to bbq on the gravel bar. Especially if you bring ribs.

MoKelly

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #163  
It is important to note, however, that all water in a watercourse–whether navigable or not–is owned by the State of Texas.”
Does that mean you can't legally take water from the river for personal use (irrigating a small garden, etc.)? I could see how they might have a problem with large-scale use.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is?
But as the law sits right now I believe river travelers have the right to use your gravel bar.

It appears (and I could be wrong) that MO house bill 556 died and never passed. I would tend to agree with you, but it could end up costing you a pretty penny to write new case law with you being the defendant

At the end of the day, I use to do a lot of hiking and boating in my youth. Never had a problem I can ever remember. I do know that if I was on a river bar or hiking and someone told me I was tresspassing and I didn't know where I was, I would apologize profusely and leave (if on a river, I wouldn't be paddling upstream though LOL). Dealing with people, just be nice and respectful and generally there isn't a problem regardless of the law.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #168  
Water rights in other states, especially western states, would be an interesting topic to hear about. In Maine we can't prevent anybody from traveling on undeveloped land to get directly to navigable water; defined as anyplace which will float a 4 foot stick of pulp at any time of the year. Apparently that's unique to Maine and Massachusetts.

/ Do you know what the purple paint law is? #170  
Water rights in other states, especially western states, would be an interesting topic to hear about. In Maine we can't prevent anybody from traveling on undeveloped land to get directly to navigable water; defined as anyplace which will float a 4 foot stick of pulp at any time of the year. Apparently that's unique to Maine and Massachusetts.

Who came up with the “4 foot stick of pulp” definition? A committee?

Water rights in the west were and soon will be very very contentious.

I’ve said it before but building large communities in the desert was a rather unique idea.

Maybe the same Committee that thought a navigable waterway is one that can float a 4 foot stick of pulp also assumed water would always be available to support large scale communities in the desert.

MoKelly