Do you know who makes this?

/ Do you know who makes this? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
Picked up a 5' brush cutter the other day for.....drum roll please....$250. Most of the cutters I' ve seen on craigslist etc are just rusted out junk and they want way too much for them. I happened to see this one that was 45 min, from me. I called the next morning at 8 am and then headed that way. The old fellow was really nice and "let" me buy it for the above price. It was a little difficult to set it in the back of my '08 F150. I finally had to get on the JD he had and pick it up with the bale spear on the loader and set it in with one side down and the other up on a 2x6 that I had and set up on the side rail. That worked well and tied it down. That thing sure was heavy to get off when I returned home. The Kubota did it with no trouble. It looks to be in good condition and better than my old 4' one that I've been using forever. He did say the gearbox seal leaks some and he puts about 1/2 grease and 1/2 90 wt oil in and it stays in without leaking more than a few drops. I'll check that soon to confirm. Does this look like a "Bush Hog" brand? Could be an LMC brand? Here is a couple of pics. Don't mind the chain around it as that is what I used to get off the truck.

/ Do you know who makes this? #2  
Looks almost exactly like one I bought at Tractor Supply around 1992.

/ Do you know who makes this?
It very well could be. I wish the decals weren't faded out. When I first started looking a couple of months ago, for one, Everything was just rusted badly and falling apart. Most of the pics that would be posted, showed the cutter just covered with leaves and I guess they were just too lazy to clean that mess off before posting a pic for sale. I mean, if the rest of the thing was rusting out with holes....I can only imagine what is under a ton of wet leaves....lol I am very happy to get this one. I need to go over it carefully and pressure wash. Get some new blades etc. I might just go ahead and paint it kubota orange. :D

/ Do you know who makes this? #4  
It looks a lot like a Pittsburgh brand one I have. Mine is very light duty. How does this one compare.

/ Do you know who makes this? #5  
Its a agri 5, made by BigBee. I use to have one just like it.

/ Do you know who makes this? #6  
Picked up a 5' brush cutter the other day for.....drum roll please....$250. Most of the cutters I' ve seen on craigslist etc are just rusted out junk and they want way too much for them. I happened to see this one that was 45 min, from me. I called the next morning at 8 am and then headed that way. The old fellow was really nice and "let" me buy it for the above price. ------------------

He did say the gearbox seal leaks some and he puts about 1/2 grease and 1/2 90 wt oil in and it stays in without leaking more than a few drops. I'll check that soon to confirm. -------------

Read this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/271324-grease-rotary-cutter-gear-box.html

/ Do you know who makes this? #7  
If you have a loader, turn it over and make sure the stump jumper (if it has one) is tight to the shaft, if it's not take it off and put a new seal in the bottom of the gear box and tighten the blade holder back good and tight. If it's not worn out where the seal goes you shouldn't have any problems with it leaking anymore for a while.

/ Do you know who makes this? #8  
I would drain the oil out of the gearbox and replace it with corn head grease. It will provide lubrication in use but won't leak out.

If it works, you can't lose for only $250. Congrats.

/ Do you know who makes this? #9  
I would drain the oil out of the gearbox and replace it with corn head grease. It will provide lubrication in use but won't leak out.

If it works, you can't lose for only $250. Congrats.
Did that with my flail I paid $100 for. New seals for the gearbox were going to be almost as much as I paid for the mower.

Grease won't be quite as good as oil, but realistically the gearbox running any lube is gonna outlast the rest of a used mower unless the bearing are already shot.