Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #81  
Contrarian opinion: I really like tree-farming. I really need a couple of tractors to efficiently perform my tree farm tasks. I check the oil but have no time or inclination to change it. My mechanic's skills are pretty much limited to suspecting something is out of whack. I take my tractors in to the dealer yearly to be "serviced." Equipment investment - one old pickup and a cheap trailer. Service costs - I write those off.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #82  
I take my tractors in to the dealer yearly to be "serviced."
I agree with you, but its different when you are in it to make a living versus personal use. I pay someone to fix things on my rental properties, but fix stuff myself on my own place. One is a write off and needed to keep income coming in and my tenants happy; the other is neither and can wait for me to get to it. (At least until the DW gets pissed)

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #83  
I never took my John Deere 790 to the dealer for anything, did it myself no matter what it was, but now its pretty beat up. So for my L3301 I am thinking its best to have the dealer do everything, but got to pay pickup and delivery back, to say nothing of the sky high charges, but want to keep this one in immaculate shape. Is it worth it?
I purchased a 17 tonne Mercedes Lorry from the dealers a long time ago and they had it in for work about a month apart and the service department charged the sales department for a new air filter both times, would I trust a dealer to do my work, no I don't think so, if they are happy to fiddle with in the firm I dare not think what they will do to the customer. I do my own work where possible otherwise you lose the machine and have to pay for the privilege. You also know that the job has been done.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #84  
This almost a silly thread. But I can appreciate the question.

For example, I am well able to service our pickups. But for an oil change, inspection and rotation its $45 total and from the Ford dealership. Why would I screw around with it for that? Heck, it's worth that to not pull the tools and deal with the drain oil.

But for the Buck (2006) and Gator (2010) I do them myself. #1, trailering them in is a PITB. #2, the drop off and retrieval. #3, I don't think they pay much attention to A/UTVs vs a $200k rig. #4, being familiar with my stuff and doing my own inspections.

Frankly, once I left the Deere dealership neither has seen the parking lot again. But I know my mechanic capabilities. I also don't stress them with play games - these are work machines. I know when I'm over doing their capabilities. I back off. I don't want to fix them.

OTOH, I have a 410j. Now that is different. Still do my own minor service. But if serious or important, that toy will have to get low-boy hauled. But not so to this date.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself.
This almost a silly thread. But I can appreciate the question.

For example, I am well able to service our pickups. But for an oil change, inspection and rotation its $45 total and from the Ford dealership. Why would I screw around with it for that? Heck, it's worth that to not pull the tools and deal with the drain oil.

But for the Buck (2006) and Gator (2010) I do them myself. #1, trailering them in is a PITB. #2, the drop off and retrieval. #3, I don't think they pay much attention to A/UTVs vs a $200k rig. #4, being familiar with my stuff and doing my own inspections.

Frankly, once I left the Deere dealership neither has seen the parking lot again. But I know my mechanic capabilities. I also don't stress them with play games - these are work machines. I know when I'm over doing their capabilities. I back off. I don't want to fix them.

OTOH, I have a 410j. Now that is different. Still do my own minor service. But if serious or important, that toy will have to get low-boy hauled. But not so to this date.
How reliable has the 410J been, I been looking at those and the 310's..

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #86  
As a kid there were summers on my older family members farms.
Remember something going very wrong w/ the big green tractor & it had to be disconnected in the upper pasture.
In the smelly truck we went to a near by neighbor. There was a great debate about something & on this neighbor's green tractor; the men all got to poking about it & the cussing started.

Later during supper the conversation started out as to why we all quit work & went visiting the neighbors at mid afternoon.

At this time in my young life (1952ish) a tractor was not anything put up wet & forgot until the next need for it.
My family was leaving horses for tractors. They were not poor just had little knowledge about real farm machinery but the ownership was a near breaking point.

What happened to our tractor was never completely understood by me but it must have been something really small.

The neighbor came over & ''fixed'' the issue. Later found out that he or a member of his family sold these green tractors.

To this day I believe neighbors can be of great help & it is good to at least look into another tractor issue.

We do all that is needed w/ our equipment. But work it as though it will break.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #87  
I do everything myself. If I screw something up I learn from it.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #88  
I do everything myself. If I screw something up I learn from it.
My philosophy is I can screw it up 3 or 4 times for the cost having it done by someone else, but some things on today's vehicles and tractors are so far above my pay grade I don't even attempt them.

My favorite "learn by making a mistake" tale was told to me by a sprinkler contractor who said one of his techs had dumped a system into the open cockpits of a couple of fighter jets causing millions in damage. I asked him if he fired the tech and he said "Hell no, I just spent millions educating him."

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #89  
My philosophy is I can screw it up 3 or 4 times for the cost having it done by someone else, but some things on today's vehicles and tractors are so far above my pay grade I don't even attempt them.

My favorite "learn by making a mistake" tale was told to me by a sprinkler contractor who said one of his techs had dumped a system into the open cockpits of a couple of fighter jets causing millions in damage. I asked him if he fired the tech and he said "Hell no, I just spent millions educating him."
That's why I appreciate my 30+ yr old L2850 and L4150.

/ Do you take it to the dealer for maintenance or do it yourself. #90  
The only time the dealer worked on my tractor was when we were clearing out a area and had no business using it in there. It got hung up on a stump, the hydrostatic pedal mechanism got all bent up and the tractor couldn't go anywhere. They came, somehow got it freed up, took it back to the shop and replaced everything. They only charged $100 to come and get it and bring it back. got home one day and it was sitting in the barn. I do buy all my parts, filters and sch from them.