Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel

/ Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel #1  

alpaca-farmer

What a great site you have here, and while I have been a reader and lurker for years I've found myself in a bind that maybe someone can give me some input on. I had to leave town suddenly leaving my 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Pick up (farm vehicle) - it was not started during this time and sat idle.

I got home and it won't start up, and I haven't been able to find an answer in the trouble shooting manual.

- The gauges are all down, They are not even moving from their position which is all the way to the left, even when the accessory is turned on (just prior to complete on) they don't move.

The engine is revolving but not turning on - meaning much like it's turnig over.

Took both batteries to be inspected - one was low but both were in good condition and charged the battery that was low for 1-2 hours as advised. Cleaned the contacts with properly cleaner, and also battery contact lubed them. NO CHANGE.

Getting quite fustrated - also don't hear the fuel pump clicking, but not sure if that may have something to do with the fact that all the gauges are not working maybe there is a correlation.

Any advice? Can't get it to a mechanic (live out in the sticks and a dealer diesel mechanic is well over an hour away and need to get the truck running for work)

Thanks.

/ Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel #2  
is it getting fuel to the injectors?

/ Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel #3  
Take out your fuel filter and see if its getting fuel next check your fuse box for any blown fuses open your water drain with the key on a see if any fuel is comeing out are your glow plugs lighting up? Next check your lift pump make sure it is ticking away you should be able to put your hand on it and feel it pulsateing let me know what you find out im a diesel mechanic and will help you get it going i will watch the board today. Also check all your grounds make sure they are clean and tight sounds to me like a lift pump issue or the fuse is blown it may be tied in to your gauges and thats why they are not working or verry possibly a bad ground.

/ Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel
Thank you both for the replies.

The fuel filter did have fuel in it. Not sure about the injectors yet haven't checked.

Can't hear any of the fuel pumps engaging which has me concerned.

Checked the fuses - all fuses are ok, changed two random fuses but still no start after changing them.

Had the relay checked at a part store, no issues with it either.

Last edited:
   / Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel #5  
Got any of those dastardly, wire chewing rats around your farm? I guess on the other hand you might have blown a fuse if that were the case.

Got any of those dastardly, wire chewing rats around your farm? I guess on the other hand you might have blown a fuse if that were the case.

Thankfully no rats (good cats and other control) but the truck was sitting in the city for the duration not at the farm - no rats in the city either.

/ Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel #7  
Almost sounds like your losing or have lost power somewhere with no gauge action.

How long was it sitting ?

/ Dodge 2005 - 2500 Diesel #8  
I would check the mega fuses first. Does the lights come on when turned on. What else comes on or does not come on.. Do almost all the fuses become hot, by checking with a test light, when you turn the igniton switch on.

Sounds like you are not getting fire to several things. Do not rule out the rats, because of where you live. They can be anywhere not just in the country. Usually you can see where they have been eating on the black insulation under the hood. You can also see their tracks on dusty places.

Truck is still dead after a day of fussing with it.

We checked the numbers on all the sockets in the fuse box and the fuse relay is reading one 'prong' at 12 and the other at 6 - all the other fuses are reading properly at 12.

Went and got at the local parts store a check engine code reader and it only gave an error message that it wouldn't speak to the computer and read the codes. So even tho it seems like there is a code dinging across the dash, no clue what it is. (chimes three times, then the gas light comes on and the check engine light --- all come on a few seconds after the engine is turned "on" (but not on as in engine rotating).

Per suggestion we sprayed lightly ether/starter fluid into the air intake while 'rotating' the engine. It did attempt to start up, but choked immediately back out did not stay running. This is the puzzling part what would be causing it to choke back out - don't know if it's an electrical issue at this point or a gas pumps issue.

Currently testing all the grounds along the frame and will report back findings.

Any suggestions appreciated as time is running out have to use it next week...