Dodging Mr. Black

/ Dodging Mr. Black #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
Well it is near time to go get dressed for the second funeral in the past 2 weeks. First my brother in law died Oct. 11, now my next door neighbor Kenny passed 21st Oct. This area is fast becoming a neighborhood of widows. My wife always claims that deaths come in threes so I am just waiting to see who passes next.

When one passes the 60 year mark, he has to expect that his friends and neighbors will start to pass on and we never know when our time will come.

I just want to remind everyone that life is uncertain and everyone should look to live life at it's fullest if at all possible. Saving that once in a lifetime event for next year because of one reason or another might mean you never get to see it.

/ Dodging Mr. Black #2  
Sorry for your personal losses Gary.

I bought this property in 1979. All of my neighbors were older than me. I was considered the "new kid on the block". Now all my neighbors are younger than me. I'm considered the "old man on the block". :)

I pace myself to see all the little things in life each day. Was driving down a gravel road coming home yesterday evening and saw these. Life in the middle of death. :)

20171023_162051 (1280x720).jpg

/ Dodging Mr. Black #3  
Good reminder Mr. Fowler. Thanks.

I've had 3 neighbors die within the last year. i'm getting to the point that I hate to get my High School newsletter email. Seems that all of my old classmates are dropping like flies. The majority of my old school running buddies donated their youth to the VN war; I was lucky. And at my 76 years old and still smoke like a chimney for the last 60 years, I'm reminded daily that living has only one guarantee, and that's NOT living forever.

My favorite adage is:

Yesterday is history.
Live today at its fullest, for
Tomorrow may never come.

This applies to each and every one of us. The obituaries are full of listings for all ages, not just the old folks.

/ Dodging Mr. Black
Yes life ends at all ages. I was looking at the markers in the Veterans Cemetery where my brother in law was interred and the oldest was born in 1935, most were born in the 1940-49 with one in 1975. This was a new cemetery with only 186 occupants so far. According to the caretaker, 100 of them were put there this year.

/ Dodging Mr. Black #5  
Boy, you hit the nail on the head there, ovrszd. When we came down from Alaska in '82 - I was the youngster. Now 35 years later - I'm suddenly the old man. I really enjoy your flower pic - you have three pretty ones. I recognize the shooting star. My wildflowers have dried up months ago.

I really don't know what to tell you Gary. Its nice that you go to your friends funeral. Your being there will help his loved ones in this unfortunate time.

/ Dodging Mr. Black #6  
I'm more concerned with the how than the when. One of my mother's friends never knew what hit her. They found her at the back door, sitting on a bench, with her boot laces still in her hands. She died with her boots on. What a wonderful way to go! My dad, OTOH, died a lingering and painful death of lung cancer. He always told me he hoped he would die of a heart attack on the tractor, doing field work, which is where he loved to be. It didn't happen.

It's no surprise to me that suicides among the elderly are an epidemic. Other than my dad, who was killed by 65 years of Camel Straights, all my parents and grandparents have lived into their 90s, but the last 5 years they were pretty debilitated. I've probably got 20 years left, but I'm willing to bet that the end of that run won't be much fun.

/ Dodging Mr. Black #7  
I'm more concerned with the how than the when. One of my mother's friends never knew what hit her. They found her at the back door, sitting on a bench, with her boot laces still in her hands. She died with her boots on. What a wonderful way to go! My dad, OTOH, died a lingering and painful death of lung cancer. He always told me he hoped he would die of a heart attack on the tractor, doing field work, which is where he loved to be. It didn't happen.

It's no surprise to me that suicides among the elderly are an epidemic. Other than my dad, who was killed by 65 years of Camel Straights, all my parents and grandparents have lived into their 90s, but the last 5 years they were pretty debilitated. I've probably got 20 years left, but I'm willing to bet that the end of that run won't be much fun.

I've never understood why it's considered the right thing to do ( it is ) to have you pet put down when it's quality of life runs out, but keeping your loved ones suffering for months or years. Or worse giving them 'life saving' treatment that only prolong their suffering.

/ Dodging Mr. Black #8  
My father's last few years was not good. Mom took care of him but he was still able to drive a little. He knew his time was running out but kept a good outlook and never gave up. I hope I can go like my father in-law. He passed in his sleep.

/ Dodging Mr. Black #9  
I have the same issue here, We were the youngest couple in the neighborhood, but now we are one of the older ones. The winter of 2013/14 was pretty brutal here, there are 5 houses in a row, and we are the only ones left after that winter. 2 died, and 2 moved into town, one into assisted living. That winter we had record cold and snow, and 7 days without power, during subzero weather. There are about 10 more homes down the road, only 2 are original.

My dad is in good shape for 83, but he fears what is ahead. His dad got dementia at 85. He lived 5 more years, but he didn’t know it, or anyone of us, either. He spent 4 years basically as a invalid. Zero quality of life. One thing is for sure, time doesn’t wait for us.

/ Dodging Mr. Black #10  
Well it is near time to go get dressed for the second funeral in the past 2 weeks. First my brother in law died Oct. 11, now my next door neighbor Kenny passed 21st Oct. This area is fast becoming a neighborhood of widows. My wife always claims that deaths come in threes so I am just waiting to see who passes next.

When one passes the 60 year mark, he has to expect that his friends and neighbors will start to pass on and we never know when our time will come.

I just want to remind everyone that life is uncertain and everyone should look to live life at it's fullest if at all possible. Saving that once in a lifetime event for next year because of one reason or another might mean you never get to see it.

Gary This past week end I was with wife at her 60th.year class meeting. Malvern high class of 57. and there was 150 graduated. The speaker noted there was over 50 deaths and 40 was in past 10 years.
so 1/3 third of class has gone.
I was in smaller school and recall 45 graduated . We can all sit at same table now.
It all happens so fast. where did the years go.
ken