Does anybody follow the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Does anybody follow the Olympics? #103  
Hope our soldiers in future battles won’t decry the same excuse en-masse as Ms. Byles.
I wonder what would happen if I told my kids “I quit my job-too stressful, forget your college educations, McDonald’s paying $19/hr….have a nice life”
You have just won the gold medal in thoughtless comments.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #104  
You have just won the gold medal in thoughtless comments.

That is a little harsh.

She accepts in excess of $5 million per year in endorsements from advertisers.

Making TV commercials is not too stressful.

Yet her job - why she gets $5 million per year - is too stressful.

It’s a fair observation.

If she donated the $5 million to a mental health charity perhaps I’d agree with you. She hasn’t.

The young lady has endured much in her life but she choose to be a public person and she chose the money. So, public scrutiny and opinions come with that level of wealth.

MoKelly

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #105  
That is a little harsh.

It’s a fair observation.

If she donated the $5 million to a mental health charity perhaps I’d agree with you. She hasn’t.

The young lady has endured much in her life but she choose to be a public person and she chose the money. So, public scrutiny and opinions come with that level of wealth.

MoKelly
I don't think either of us can really understand what her job is really like. I doubt that if either of us starts to let a little doubt creep into what we do, we have to worry about bodily injury, etc. I know my keyboard is not going to hurt me. I've heard all manner of things about this young woman - she's selfish, she choked and stuff like that. I'm sure these people think they KNOW what they are talking about, but I see no reason for people who have already won at every level in grand fashion to choke. My guess is that there's likely more to it than that.

Wealth, fame or whatever has nothing to do with the level of public scrutiny a person might endure. Maybe things like lack of honesty, integrity, empathy, etc. might. Since I have not walked in her shoes (or anybody else's for that matter), I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt on this and think maybe she's just experienced something that the rest of us have not and at the age of 24 had a really hard time dealing with it. And I wonder how many of us really could. Unfortunately, the media and everyone else hyped this all up to the level of explosion. So should we really be that surprised? I guess it's real easy to think we can grasp it all from the comfort of our soft, cushy chairs.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #106  
That is a little harsh.

It’s a fair observation.

MoKelly
Comparing what combat soldiers go through to what a gymnast goes through is ridiculous.

A combat soldier doesn't get a choice. Act or die or others may die.

All gymnasts (all athletes) have a choice to either attempt or not attempt physical feats that require complete mind/body coordination or face failure, and possible life altering injury. If the brain isn't in command of the body today, don't attempt it. From what I've read and listening to her speak, she felt the brain wasn't controlling the body, and, not only might she injure herself, she might do so poorly as to bring the team down. Seems pretty selfless to step aside for the sake of the team and others in the individual events. If she'd have stayed in, the U.S. team and individuals had a good chance of winning nothing. Instead, she bowed out, several others got the chance to compete, and stepped up to the task. The team won a medal, and several individuals medalled as well.

So tell me again why she did the wrong thing?

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #107  
Comparing what combat soldiers go through to what a gymnast goes through is ridiculous.

A combat soldier doesn't get a choice. Act or die or others may die.

All gymnasts (all athletes) have a choice to either attempt or not attempt physical feats that require complete mind/body coordination or face failure, and possible life altering injury. If the brain isn't in command of the body today, don't attempt it. From what I've read and listening to her speak, she felt the brain wasn't controlling the body, and, not only might she injure herself, she might do so poorly as to bring the team down. Seems pretty selfless to step aside for the sake of the team and others in the individual events. If she'd have stayed in, the U.S. team and individuals had a good chance of winning nothing. Instead, she bowed out, several others got the chance to compete, and stepped up to the task. The team won a medal, and several individuals medalled as well.

So tell me again why she did the wrong thing?
I agree with this take on the situation wholeheartedly.

/ Does anybody follow the Olympics? #110  
As to Ms Biles....the original story was the pressure of competition and winning was the cause. Now she has the "twisties". I am not a doctor or mental health professional so not sure if the "twisties" can be treated.

I shot trap competitively and developed a flinch after about 6 years. It was not a flinch due to recoil but a momentary hesitation to pull the trigger. A mental thing. It cannot be treated. I had to go to a release trigger to overcome it. I would flinch three or four times in a 100 bird event but that was disastrous I need to shoot perfect scores to win or get into the shoot off.

I hope for her sake it was the originals reason....competitive pressure; as that is easier to deal with. A mental block is much tougher. BTW, it would explain why she used the competitive pressure excuse instead of the "twisties". If Biles has a condition that is not treatable, she is done as a world class gymnast.

Status
Not open for further replies.