Does it ever end

/ Does it ever end #21  
I worked for a garden tractor manufacturer and we could get all the good pallets we wanted although it takes some scrounging at times. Just take them home with you.

I had a pile of 20-30 pallets on a plot of land used for placing under firewood and was in sight the road.

Someone called me one day and we talked about those pallets and I told him those weren't for sale. He wanted them because his boss needed some for his work place to make things easier for him and he would pay whatever they were worth at that time.

I told him I could get some for him and wouldn't charge him anything because they didn't cost me anything and he said he wanted to pay something.

I took my 6x10 trailer to work after I scrounged off and on for a week as I saw one or two laying around and got about 20-30 pallets and brought them home. I called him to pick them up and he came out. I told him I wouldn't charge him anything but he pressed it that he wanted to pay, so I settled on $4.00 a pallet.

Now and then someone will be in a generous mood and you might get lucky.

/ Does it ever end #22  
I just got flustered that I can't have a meal without people invading my space like that.

When I was married to my first wife, we would get accosted just about everywhere we went in public. I was playing in a very popular local band at the time, and could scarcely go anywhere without someone recognizing me. Most of the time, it was attractive females ... which was OK with me :D, but not so much with the wife :irked:. To me, it was just part of the life I lead. She never did get used to it. And, yeah, it is frustrating when you're trying to enjoy a quiet meal and someone is intent on interrupting.

New wife grew to accept it rather quickly, though it was a bit of a shock to her, too, when we first started dating. It doesn't happen to us as much anymore, because we just don't go out much and I don't play much anymore.

Basically, as long as you continue to do what it is that's making you popular, you will continue to be recognized and approached. Change that behavior, and it eventually fades away.

/ Does it ever end #24  
I'm pretty much a boring landfill manager and mechanic.
But that means that you are the gateway to all kinds of exciting cottage scale repurposing schemes that end up costing 3-5 times what the product could be made for commercially :D

Aaron Z

/ Does it ever end #25  
I don't have a name on my truck but they associate it with the rolloff trucks we run. And I understand that folks recycle things I do the same. At the plant they let you get pallets most people want you to take them a load.

I just got flustered that I can't have a meal without people invading my space like that. I'm all up for a visit but not getting crowded. People don't surprise me much anymore when mom died she hadn't been dead 8 hrs and a neighbor of hers told my brother and I that she really woulda wanted him to have her pontoon.
Taylor I think part of your difficulties are in that almost EVERYONE in that area is CHEAP. My BIL. w/ a successful doctor's practice will squeeze two Lincoln pennies until they scream. Meanwhile in his "storage lot" equipment worth thousands of dollars rusts into the soil.
My cousin-in-law the dentist spent $800 getting a tiller from China, so he didn't have to spend $200 to fix the great one that broke. Now that China tiller set for 2 years and I don't know if he resold it yet.

You need to be stern and just tell them to contact you via email, and set up a junk email address. That area of the country is slowly adjusting into the new digital age. It used to be that to find something used one had to ask around and make deals. My cousin was great at that. But that "old boy" network is passing and moving to a twitter/facebook era. And we all know how permanent electrons are.

/ Does it ever end #27  
There are an estimated two billion pallets in the US so it's not usually too hard to find them for free.

As far as getting hit by a 730 haul truck.....

1457.jpg

/ Does it ever end
Working too hard for that one to be a freebie lol. Ours is a 730C series got the wider angled hood with the passenger seat.

Newbury I grew up knowing the Dr. Some of his stuff hasn't moved since I was 5 years old lol.

/ Does it ever end #30  
Our county property taxes pay for access to dump stations. The stations are pretty nice and clean. :thumbsup:

A few years ago they county sent out a sticker for the county residents to use when we went to the dump stations. The county had a huge number of people from neighboring counties using our dump stations instead of their own county stations. I forget the number of out of county usage, but I was shocked when I saw how much the traffic dropped after the stickers were put into use.

It used to be that people could go through the metal dumpsters but that was stopped when two guys got into a knife fight after metal garbage. These guys were taking all of the valuable metal and selling it. Somehow they figured that other peoples metal trash was worth getting into a knife fight. This was when the price of metal was much higher but still. :rolleyes:

A neighboring county is very "progressive." They make builders separate their construction trash so it can be "recycled." The builders have to put wood scraps in one pile and this was supposed to be so other people could take the wood if they wanted it. They did this a decode ago and I don't know if they still continue that mess. Can't imagine how much it costs to separate construction trash on the work site. Course the home buyer pays in the end...

Later,
Dan