Attachments

• 20200313_111332_resized.jpg
    20200313_111332_resized.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 157

Attachments

• 20200602_162122_resized.jpg
    20200602_162122_resized.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
No worries about these two running off...
You have very much nicer looking furniture than we use when we know the dogs are going to take the opportunity to use it ;)

Antyhing we buy for a dogs use, we consider gone LOL

/ Dog pics #3,604  
Our mutts are trained for leads, but in the woods we never use them. No shock collars ever used but they are trained. They never run off for more than a few minutes. How could that work?View attachment 711026View attachment 711027View attachment 711028View attachment 711029
#1st option...

You are awesome people who have only a couple of dogs to train, and perhaps you could give Ceasar Millan a run for his money if you decided to do your own show and make lots of money doing it (many more variables not mentioned).

# 2nd option

Law of averages given how many dogs at one point in time you "own", how the "pack mentality" works with each dog, and how many hours you were able to spend "one on one" per each dog?

Personally, I'm guessing option 2 on your end.

Please let me know I'm wrong, and tell me you haven't had 7 dogs come into your house at different ages, different "backgrounds" that you may not have known about per each dogs history, and PLEASE let me know how you train each dog to behave perfectly.

Out of 50 plus dogs in 10 years, we've averaged about 10 dogs who needed a training collar to remove bad behaviors. That's one out of 5. Not bad numbers IMO.

Some dogs catch on fast, some dogs not so fast per training. That was our experience.

You have two dogs that can go on a trail without a ecollar for along with off lead, great. We currently have 3 dogs who can do the same thing as yours off lead on a trail, but we still have 2 dogs we'd use a ecollar for and one we aren't 100% certain about. Does that make you a better dog owner than myself? I honestly don't know. What I do know is my dogs won't cause fear or destruction of others people property.

Thing is, looking at your pictures, if other people may be on hiking trails (public use), you should NEVER have your dog off lead. We've realized that although we know our dogs won't bite anyone, when you come across the general public, you have no clue who can fear dogs and why, and THAT'S why a dog should always be on a lead when coming across the general public.

We've taken more than a couple of dogs out on hiking trails open to public use, and ANYTIME they come across others, we put them on lead so others know that the dogs are under our control.

Last edited:
   / Dog pics #3,605  
^^^
My current dog is like that also. As I said before, the only time that he wears a collar is when he goes to the vet or out in public.
My last dog was the exact opposite... a very alpha female. She would leave the truck wearing a collar but by the end of the day it would be gone.

You could never walk a dog on lead in the places where we go.
Very long story with our blue tick hound and training him with an ecollar, but as long as the dog reconizes some of your basic commands and "relates" to you as being a part of their "pack", when out, as long as you have the dog in your line of vision and can account for them, a ecollar will work for you.

That said, I would never take a dog of ours off lead when walking in the generaly public, with a lot of people around, and only trust the ecollar for commands.

No different that riding a motorcycle IMO on a public highway in that you have no clue what stupid crap others may do. You can control what you do, but you can't control what others will do.

Last edited:
   / Dog pics #3,606  
^^^
I wouldn't take a dog out in public off lead either. The places where I work there might not be another soul for 5 miles or more.

/ Dog pics #3,607  
^^^
I wouldn't take a dog out in public off lead either. The places where I work there might not be another soul for 5 miles or more.
I believe we are on the same page.

If out on a trail not used by the general public, walking a dog off lead, if that dog has an ecollar, as long as the dog is "somwhat trained" between the differences of a shock and vibrate, I have very little doubt that given a short amount of time, if you can't see the dog, the dog would come back to with only a "vibrate command".

Thing is, you will have to associate the vibrate command with a shock so the dog knows if they don't react to the vibrate command, they will soon get a shock afterwards if they don't respond.

Thing is, when in "training session", you have to stay on top of the dog and work with them per your commands and be consistant with both postive and negative rewards (always have treats on you to give the dog when they "listen" IMO).

I honestly don't know how dogs think, but this always has seemed to work for me.

That little black dog that always ran over to the neighbors always got a vibrate before I hit him with a shock. After a couple of times, the vibrate always works and I don't have to shock him because he comes when I call him ;)

That blue tick hound never needs a collar now as well as he never leaves now when he's outside by himeself (he loves to spend time outside lying in the sun, we don't want to deny him of what he likes).

/ Dog pics #3,608  
My new heeler seems to be wanting on the bed, not happening. We now keep our dogs in Bowser dog beds ($$$$$) on the floor other than my wife's chiuhuahua which is allowed on the leather and bed. Even the chihuahua prefers the Bowser beds to the sofa. When I switched to good dog beds and changed the house rules, I was finally able to stop sleeping on the edge of our bed. :sleep::sleep::sleep: