Dog pics

/ Dog pics #681  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, B7800. JD 790

When I hear someone repeat "Sit" for the 10th time, and the dog is still not sitting, it drives me insane! Teach the command, gently, over time, then, when they KNOW it, give the command ONCE and make sure they do it! And, until you have a very reliable dog, DO NOT give a command that you can't enforce. Ever see people with a dog off leash, yelling for it to "come", and they have no way to enforce the command? So, all they did was teach the dog, that "come" is optional.

So much for being smarter than the dog!

That's all anyone needs to know about training a dog. They learn by conditioned response--Pavlov--and no other way. Say and mean it and you only have to say it more than once at the beginning. My oldest dog is sleeping next to me and all I would have to do is whisper "get down" and she would.

/ Dog pics #682  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
That's all anyone needs to know about training a dog. They learn by conditioned response--Pavlov--and no other way. Say and mean it and you only have to say it more than once at the beginning. My oldest dog is sleeping next to me and all I would have to do is whisper "get down" and she would.

My girls are spoiled. :D Soon as I find out who spoiled them, they will be in big trouble. :laughing:

They do have certain things that they know are a No No. I can leave the gates open and they will not go out, even if left open all night. When taken for a ride they do not get out of the truck until told its OK. My little one "Brat" knows that when I say go away it is meant. Generally speaking when told to go "Lay Down" they do as told.

At times I do let them think for themselves if it is not important that the instantly respond. If they think too long a gruff tone of voice does the trick.

Some times I take them out in the desert and let them roam & hunt. They go in big loops first one direction then another. If gone too long I do have to raise my voice a little, as they may be over 100 yards away.

More later. Thinking of starting a thread on "Talking to Critters", Not just domestic critters, but rabbits, birds, lizards & even snakes. ?? What You folks Think ??

/ Dog pics #683  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45

My girls are spoiled. :D Soon as I find out who spoiled them, they will be in big trouble. :laughing:

They do have certain things that they know are a No No. I can leave the gates open and they will not go out, even if left open all night. When taken for a ride they do not get out of the truck until told its OK. My little one "Brat" knows that when I say go away it is meant. Generally speaking when told to go "Lay Down" they do as told.

At times I do let them think for themselves if it is not important that the instantly respond. If they think too long a gruff tone of voice does the trick.

Some times I take them out in the desert and let them roam & hunt. They go in big loops first one direction then another. If gone too long I do have to raise my voice a little, as they may be over 100 yards away.

More later. Thinking of starting a thread on "Talking to Critters", Not just domestic critters, but rabbits, birds, lizards & even snakes. ?? What You folks Think ??

/ Dog pics #684  

MRSDOUGLAS

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740
Daisy, my delicate petite flower. The last one she is sitting in hubs lap for perspective. :)

Attachments

• image-2704745560.jpg
    image-2704745560.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 92
  • image-929154116.jpg
    image-929154116.jpg
    764.9 KB · Views: 100
  • image-1787007668.jpg
    image-1787007668.jpg
    451 KB · Views: 123
   / Dog pics #685  

KENSFM

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 2210 JD318 JD332
A couple of pictures of my big girl "K" a Rhodesian Ridgeback. She is a great 3 year old rescue dog.
KenDSCN0223.jpgDSCN0260.jpg

/ Dog pics #686  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, B7800. JD 790
Here's one of my sweethearts going for a ride. She just can't wait to see the sights.
Should I go in any store I always keep her 100% in view and she does the same with me. Watches every step to make sure I don't try to get away or whatever it is dogs worry about.

dog.jpg

/ Dog pics #687  

farmgirl19

Tractor
1986 JD 1050, and 1941 Avery
deepNdirt; A hound can hunt without you! You are just an accessory! Most people think of that as stubborn, or stupid, but not so. I love my Scent Hounds! One does have to convince them that many things are "their idea", and that it is better to do those things, than to not do them. Sort of like training donkeys, (and a few men that I know)! But I still love them, (the dogs, donkeys and men)!

/ Dog pics #688  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
deepNdirt; A hound can hunt without you! You are just an accessory! Most people think of that as stubborn, or stupid, but not so. I love my Scent Hounds! One does have to convince them that many things are "their idea", and that it is better to do those things, than to not do them. Sort of like training donkeys, (and a few men that I know)! But I still love them, (the dogs, donkeys and men)!

Gota Love It. Since when did men get as smart as a donkey??
We had 2 mules for most of my life. (We had quite a few, but they came & went) Judy mule & Susie Q. I use to have a picture of me on Susie Q. when I was a little over 1 year old. She had sixth sense about who was riding her. When a dude got on her, within a 100 yards of the corral she would unload them. A year or 2 would go by and dad would try another dude on her. Same story, this went on for years.

Talk about looking stupid. One day the trail had a jump abut 3 feet high, when she made the jump the cinch broke & left me sitting in the middle of the tail. Feet in stirrups, hand out like I still had the reins in it.

Judy mule gentle as a lamb, had a bad habit. If there was a tree close enough, she'd lean on to it and try to brush you off. Still have a knee that bothers me. Her other bad habit, once running flat out, she could not be turned. Pull her head clear back into the stirrup and she would keep going straight until running into something that stopped her.

/ Dog pics #689  

Boondox

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere 4044R cab, Kubota KX-121-3S
Bug at the Notch.jpg

Going for a ride with Barley. He now has 24,000+ sidecar miles under his collar. This summer we're riding from Vermont to Oregon and back. Really looking forward to seeing the PNW and watching my dog play in the Pacific!

Last edited: