Dog pics

/ Dog pics #1,431  
Suggest that dog owners research a dog food company called ACANA..out of Alberta Canada They sell through many high end pet shops..pricey at about 80 bucks Canadian per 40 Lb bag..but its is the best available. We feed it to our two dogs. Acana makes several kinds (about ten) with no grain and no other bad stuff in it. Our dogs like the "PACIFICA" variety, but it is all darn good stuff. I am so disgusted with the mainline companys that use Chinese fillers as a base..its is actually poisonous..and they know it..but it is relatively cheap..and cheap sells. Poor dogs!

And avoid DOGGIE treats which contain a lot of "beet pulp". Beet pulp is high in Oxalic acid..produces bladder stones and causes kidney failure. Also avoid Chinese jerky treats, which contain poisonous levels of insecticide. I never buy anything that contains Chinese ingredients..but most name brand dog-food is made with Chinese ingredients. China has no effective insecticide-level controls in Agriculture, farmed fish, poultry.

Check it out

I agree about the poison from China. Our baby is 13 years old in this pic and I think he looks like he does because we make his food and treats.
We buy ground turkey and chicken which we cook. Every day, het get 3 table spoons of the ground meat, 3 table spoons of white rice, 2.5
teaspoons of oat bran mixed together and warmed up. He gets a chew-able vitamin each day. For treats we buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and slice them into thin strips which we jerk without any spice for him. Vet says he may be 13 but has the health of a 7 yr old dog. He
thinks he's still a pup. His body weight ha remained 14lb for years.
Dano

/ Dog pics #1,432  
Farmgirl:

This is a literate and well informed post. You speak accurately on this subject. You say what needs to be said very well. I have read no other opinion on this subject which is so well informed, so I wanted to compliment you for writing so well and for offering we dog-loving readers such good information. Please continue to do so. We benefit from your contributions on TBN..and I salute you.
About the time friends find one that fits the description, someone like Procter and Gamble comes in and buys them, and changes it all. They don't decrease the price, just change the ingredients. And they have 6 months after changing the "recipe" before they have to change the ingredients shown on the bag.

Some of the Nature's Variety food fits, at this time. I think it is their Instinct line. I know some of their formulas do contain grain. Orijen or Acana (same company produces both) probably have some grain free, acceptable foods too. The other might be Fromm. I think they still have their "Beef, frittata, veg" formula, which is, or was, grain free. Since I do not feed pre-packaged foods, I do not keep up with all of them.

Remember treats too, if you give them. Avoid wheat, corn, rice, flour there too. PureBites makes a beef liver flavor, that is 100% USA beef liver. Pricey, but at least there are no added ingredients. I think one can even find them on Amazon. I just make my own.

Best advice: Read the labels, and if it contains wheat, corn, flour, rice, millet, barley, glutens, or any other way they try to describe grains, AVOID it. Those are mostly fillers anyway, and take the place of good quality protein. My own dogs get 50-60% of their diet as meat sourced, and 40-50% vegetables and fruit. Protein is what is needed to be able to build muscles, tendons and ligaments. Carbs are calorie dense, so don't do much more than add weight. (For those that doubt it, drink some beer daily and see what happens to your waistline!)

Also, remember that almost all of our grains are now GMO, the consequences of such has yet to be fully determined. If one home cooks, they can source organic, to avoid those grains, but pet foods are not likely using only organic ingredients.

/ Dog pics #1,433  
Sharon has been using air dried food from www.BigDogNatural.com Seems to be good quality stuff and we augment it with raw meat.

Ready for a walk in deer season:

blazed.jpg

/ Dog pics #1,436  
Hi Dave,
Do you reconstitute a meal at a time?

Not me, just the retirement account--munch, munch, munch. :laughing: I see Milos is drooling in that pic. He is showing his age, really weak in the hindquarters.

This is Sira at a "barn hunt" this past weekend. There is a live rat in the PVC tube, dogs have to find the tube with the live rat among hay bales. Pawing or chewing the tube is not allowed. Barking is allowed and well practiced. There are other identical tubes with no rat, but rats were in them to leave the trace of their scent.

barnhunt3 (1).jpg

I asked Sharon why the rat doesn't die of fright. The rats are acclimated to being around dogs from birth for the purpose of using them in barn hunts. After 4-5 dogs, they switch out the rat for a fresh one. The "used" rat doesn't seem at all concerned. They eat, have a drink. Sharon says the terriers are amazing to watch barn hunt. I guess they still have the instincts they were bred for.

/ Dog pics #1,437  
That barn hunt sounds like a hoot ... My question to you was regarding the Big Boy Natural. I bought a box and get a little impatient waiting for it to reconsttute...my guess is that fuzzy buddy dislikes the wait even more... Do you make a big batch and store the leftovers in the fridge?

/ Dog pics #1,438  
That barn hunt sounds like a hoot ... My question to you was regarding the Big Boy Natural. I bought a box and get a little impatient waiting for it to reconsttute...my guess is that fuzzy buddy dislikes the wait even more... Do you make a big batch and store the leftovers in the fridge?

Ah ha! Sharon makes it fresh twice a day. She lets it sit for about 20 minutes and uses fairly warm water. Milos takes up his "waiting to eat" station watching the kitchen for the whole 20 mins.

The barn hunt is another fun thing to do with your dog. Like agility, rally, scent tracking, carting, skijoring, etc.

/ Dog pics #1,439  
Sharon has been using air dried food from www.BigDogNatural.com Seems to be good quality stuff and we augment it with raw meat.

Ready for a walk in deer season:

View attachment 397466

We use Orijen, real good stuff. From what I've read, there are a lot more "brands" than there are factories making dog food. I think for some of these companies, the advertising budgets might be higher than matieral budgets.