Dogs

/ Dogs
alchemysa said:
Its VERY easy to find stats on the breeds that are OVER-represented in dog bite statistics. (I dont think Staffys are among them. They're nice dogs from my experience).

All dogs are potentially dangerous but if you combine a 'statistically safe dog' with 'good treatment' then you'll have the best chance of having a great pet that won't take your kid's face off in a split second of anger.
I noticed your location and hoped you could clear up something that has been nagging at me for quite a while. Did the Dingo really eat the baby?:)
John

/ Dogs #62  
NewToy said:
Now the Pit is taking the heat off the deadly dogs of yesteryear.

VERY well said.

Our foster terrier (the black one) laying next to my father who came in today from Pa.

Interesting enough, the first couple of visits from him a couple of years ago and she was afraid of him and would start barking. Due to her size and breed, some people would get afraid. After two visits by dad, shes the first one who comes running up to my father to lick him. You also can't get her away from him when he shows up.

Funny, seems that there is now a "sub culture" in our society that continues the myth of certain breeds of dogs. Funny how some "sub cultures" embrace that idea of a dog. High profile cases like Vick's are prime examples.

Attachments

• dadsofa.JPG
    dadsofa.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
   / Dogs #63  
i have 6 dogs i feed. but only three are mine. the others are strays....probably dumped from a car.

/ Dogs #64  
A very spoiled Yellow Lab named Sadie, seen here lounging with my Granddaughter.

In my experience, dogs are just as predictable as people(usually more so as they have fewer motivations/vises). They are also usually a product of their environment. They can have similar reactions to similar stimuli(stranger around the house after dark, stranger approaching the kids) based on that environment/upbringing combined with genetics(food runs).

I like this analogy: Weapons usage not withstanding, A poorly raised 98 pound mal-adjusted computer geek might bite, but he probably isn't going to kill you. When a 260# poorly raised mal-adjusted biker bites, he may very well do some serious harm. In both cases, there is usually a large number of indicators that there is going to be trouble. But there is also the occasional case where they just appear to snap("he was always such a pleasant young man"). but even in these cases, there is usually some issues, not generally known untill afterward.

It is not that the pit breeds bite any more frequently than any other breed, it is just that due to the size and other characteristics of the breed, the results are usually far more severe. In a few years, it will be some other breed.

Attachments

• katie & sadie.JPG
    katie & sadie.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 138
   / Dogs #65  
NewToy said:
I noticed your location and hoped you could clear up something that has been nagging at me for quite a while. Did the Dingo really eat the baby?:)
John

Yes it did. About 10 years ago a Japanese tourist fell to his death from Ayers Rock. Near his body they found the clothes the baby was wearing when she disappeared many years before. The clothes had dingo teeth marks. Lindy Chamberlain was finally completely cleared of the crime. So, as bizarre as it sounds, Lindy was cleared by a one in a million fluke. What's the chances of a falling tourist landing next to clothes that people had been unable to find for about twenty years?

/ Dogs #66  
Everyone else is posting, so why not!??!

Karat and Del have since passed on. I miss them...
Karat-Kake.gif
Delilah-&-pheasant.gif

Truman looking away because he was just caught eating a feather pillow... All we could do was laugh.
kill-truman.gif

Here's the girls. Talk about spoiled rotten?
lucy-and-gracie.jpg

/ Dogs #67  
OK..... i know everyone thinks they have the worlds best dog, but i'm going to show you the REAL WORLDS BEST DOG. His name is Maxwell. He was given to us for free, as he was headed to the shelter if we didn't take him. He had a bad puppyhood, and has a small piece of his tongue missing where one of his previous owners apparently kicked him in the chops... making him bite his own tongue. We were his third owners in the first thirteen months of his life. Hard to imagine anyone would pay nearly a thousand dollars for a dog... mistreat him, then just give him away (we have all his paperwork). I AM ashamed to say that when my wife and i went to look at him, i didn't want to bring him home. I just thought he wasn't the dog for me, as he displayed about every bad habit a dog could display. Thankfully, my wife wouldn't take no for an answer.... and he came home with us that day. It was a rocky road for awhile, but luckily, i was self employed and was able to take him with me every day. Today we are inseperable.... to the point that my family members and friends are constantly razzing me about it. He has turned out to be the best dog i could ever want,or hope for.

Attachments

• Maxwell Gurall 097.jpg
    Maxwell Gurall 097.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Maxwell Gurall 079.jpg
    Maxwell Gurall 079.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Maxwell Gurall 070.jpg
    Maxwell Gurall 070.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Maxwell Gurall 059.jpg
    Maxwell Gurall 059.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Maxwell Gurall 037.jpg
    Maxwell Gurall 037.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 118
  • Maxwell Gurall 035.jpg
    Maxwell Gurall 035.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 125
   / Dogs #68  
Ductape, that's a cool story about Maxwell. Do you call him Max? Maxwell seems kind of formal for a best friend. It's hard to beat the companionship a RETRIEVER (edited, oops) gives, they are awesome dogs.

On the pitbull discussion, I have friends who love them and would have nothing else. I was always uneasy around them. When they first got them they told us to come over so that the dogs would know us and not attack us accidentally. Didn't make me feel all that great. I'm not anti-pit bull or anything like that, but just the same... it does always seem like you hear the same story, "Our dog has never bitten anyone before, or shown signs of agression." Before the first bite, none of them have ever bitten anyone, but that first bite might take something away from you that you can't replace. We have kids now, a 3 year old girl and a 6 month old boy. I love dogs, but to me it wouldn't be worth the risk to have a pit bull around the kids. We used to have a mut - terrior mix of some sort. She was awesome, but was malled by a pack of dogs roaming the country side.

When the kids are a little older my wife wants us to get a pack of hounds - a basset hound, a black & tan, a blood hound, a beagle, dachshund, maybe a Jack russel, and a lab. That would be a funny sight. You can't look at a dachshund and not smile. :)

"The best job in the world is one where you can take the dog with you."

Last edited:
   / Dogs #69  
Max is a Golden Retriever, and a good looking boy at that!

Funny thing about my retrievers is that in the house they only wanted to be near me. Especially the golden. But outside... They ran back to check in and then were gone again. If I pulled out the shotgun they went/go absolutely bonkers - hunting time! They truely are mans best friend...

/ Dogs #70  
Yes, we call him Max..... unless of course he is naughty, then he tends to get his full name. I wish i had been able to train him to bird hunt, i can see he would have been good at it. My experience with him certainly reinforces the saying that there are no bad dogs, just bad dog owners. All he needed was someone willing to put the time and effort into him. He is now very loyal, well behaved, and obedient. After seeing him when we got him.... i would never have believed he would resist chasing a skunk, just be me saying the word "no". I'm just not sure what i will ever do when the day comes that he can no longer jump up into my pickup. Well..... of course i'll pick him up, but you know what i mean! I can't imagine my life without him one day.