Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #11  
Don't nose load it... The farther back (axles), the better the loaded ride..... Any used trailer begs for an underside inspection so get out your coveralls and have a look-see underneath. Pay close attention to where the subframe for the suspension mounts to the frame rails for rust perferation, cracked welds and corroded wiring harness. All the stree is on the suspension and where it mounts to the frame and to a lesser extent, where the frame anf hitch come together.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #12  
I re-decked my trailer (2004 or '05 mdl) recently, and found a crack at the tounge to frame connection gusset.

Heavy loads take thier toll...

Is the seller the original owner? Dont recall if you mentioned it...

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please.
He's the original owner, he was hauling a Kubota M7040 with FEL up north in the winter to his property (worst time with road salt up here), I'm guessing around 150 miles each way, a couple times per season at most. He's guesstimating it has no more than 3000 miles on it. Don't know for sure. I haven't felt like taking the hour ride to crawl under it in the rain.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #14  
Happy; What would you be pulling the trailer with? It's easy to say don't nose load it, but how would that apply to a load of hay bales, for example? It seems like you either have the tongue weight capacity in the tow vehicle or you don't for some loads. Or, you will give up using some of the trailer bed length.

Axles to the rear steer slower and need wider corners than more forward axles. Probably not a concern with that overall size, but that is one reason semi-trailers can shift their rear axles by 4-5 feet, the other is axle weight distribution to be legal on the scales. I haven't done much heavy trucking, but I agree a nose-heavy trailer makes for a rougher ride.

Deck overs are nice for side loading with a fork lift, no fenders in the way.

Hey Dave, I have an 11 Tundra DC with 5.7. We also have ann86 F350 2x4 dually on the farm. Funny, the F350 still only has 24K on her, been garage kept. You're right on the nose loading. I don't mind the drivability of the axles being farther back, I drove tractor trailers years back.

I don't know, save the cash and put it towards a new trailer in a year or so?

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #17  
I really don't think that trailer is worth anywhere near what he is asking. If it were 2 or 3 years old, and never used in the winters, then maybe. But just maybe.

I agree $4k, no way. On the phone he came down to $3500, said come with cash and make an offer, said he wants it gone. I'm taking that as I could get it for $3k. What is a similar quality trailer new going for where you guys are at?

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #19  
There are different ways to value used equipment in my opinion and no one way is positively correct.

I ALWAYS start with what the same or VERY similar piece would cost BRAND NEW within a two hour radius(+/-) of me. NOT asking price, but a good, well negotiated price. (TODAY's price, NOT what it would have sold for new 5 or 10 years ago.) I then add in sales tax.

I climb all over the used equipment. I subjectively adjust for age and condition and try to come-up with a number that reflects FACTS and is fair for both the seller and buyer.

I don't believe trailers depreciate like cars. However, like cars, used condition is everything and can have a significant impact on final price.

So to Happy Gilmore, what is the best LOCAL price you've found for a very similar BRAND NEW version of this trailer from a reputable trailer manufacturer? I NEED that reference to help value the Downeastern trailer you are considering.

Last edited:
   / Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #20  
It's over priced even for this area, for reference I sold a 12k 18" tilt deck Belmont last year for $3500. I'd make a call to REP enterprise's in Greenland NH and ask them to price you out a new one. They were able to meet the southern states pricing when I was looking.

Matt