Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please.
There are different ways to value used equipment in my opinion and no one way is positively correct.

I ALWAYS start with what the same or VERY similar piece would cost BRAND NEW within a two hour radius(+/-) of me. NOT asking price, but a good, well negotiated price. (TODAY's price, NOT what it would have sold for new 5 or 10 years ago.) I then add in sales tax.

I climb all over the used equipment. I subjectively adjust for age and condition and try to come-up with a number that reflects FACTS and is fair for both the seller and buyer.

I don't believe trailers depreciate like cars. However, like cars, used condition is everything and can have a significant impact on final price.

So to Happy Gilmore, what is the best LOCAL price you've found for a very similar BRAND NEW version of this trailer from a reputable trailer manufacturer? I NEED that reference to help value the Downeastern trailer you are considering.

Arnold, I haven't really been shopping new, can't afford it right now. This trailer was $5500 new in 2006 according to Downeaster and the seller. I'm only assuming a quality new trailer would be in that ball park. Any thoughts or experience on a new one similar specs?

Looks like a similar Bri-Mar is $6000 plus tax

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #22  
I agree $4k, no way. On the phone he came down to $3500, said come with cash and make an offer, said he wants it gone. I'm taking that as I could get it for $3k. What is a similar quality trailer new going for where you guys are at?

Sounds like you can get it for about 3k. If he was closer to me I'd have been there with cash in hand. Used 20' 12K trailers are almost non existent here and new ones are $5400 and up. Even more if you want a 22-24'er or a tilt bed. I just priced a couple this weekend. Guess I'll stick with what I have.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #23  
I really don't think that trailer is worth anywhere near what he is asking. If it were 2 or 3 years old, and never used in the winters, then maybe. But just maybe.

I concur. Yes, things go higher here in the northeast. But that's just hoping that someone will come along who is willing to be gouged. Regardless of reputed miles, that sumbitch is still 8 years old.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #24  
If a new Bri-Mar is $6,000 plus tax I'm with George2615, $3,000 is a solid deal. (Assuming tires, brakes, lighting are in good, working shape).

Last edited:
   / Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #25  
The best way to answer this question, is that if the trailer is still around, it's not that great of a deal. If it's already sold, it was a good deal, that's the best way to know... :D

In all seriousness though, if the trailer would fit your needs, and fit your budget, I say just go for it. If you want to hold out for a "deal" they are out there, but if you buy this one now, you can be using it now, rather than waiting for that "deal" to come along. Are you really going to let a few hundred dollars be the main deciding factor? It sounds like you really want to purchase this trailer, and I think you should. It's not a great deal, but it's probably fair to both parties involved.

I've been looking for a long time for a good deal on a bigger trailer (I currently have an 18' and it is way too small). I'm still looking....still. All this time searching craigslist and NOT using my larger trailer that I could have had a year ago. Sometimes I have to wonder if you really are "saving" anything by waiting a long time for the right "deal".

I'm going to go take a look I think, when I crawl underneath, I'm sure I'll have a better idea of where it's at so to speak. I'll hook it up to the truck, test the brakes out, and go from there.

I went and looked at the trailer today. Yep, it's a New England trailer that saw its share of road salt in the winter. Too bad, it was beautiful from the outside. Once you crawled underneath, it went from looking like an 8 year old trailer to about a 20-25. The search continues. While I was leaving he offered it to me for $3300. I never made an offer, just decided to move on.

/ Downeaster 5 Ton Deck Over trailer opinions please. #28  
At least now you know! It pays to be patient.