DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc #1  

kenmac

Tractor
McCormick CX105 Kubota MX 5100 HST, Kubota ZD1021, Kawsaki Mule 4010 trans 4x4
What's a guy to do ?
Just pick your poison I guess. cause there will be issues.

Been looking for an local older non emissions tractor. They are difficult to come by

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc #2  
New tractors over 25.5 horsepower are generally required to meet Tier 4 emission requirements. Lower power tractors fall below the line and have no extras to meet these requirements. If you need a larger tractor you may look for an older one - pre emissions. I'm not sure what year that would be but I think it's something like 2014 or older. If an owner has a good non emission tractor he'll usually hold onto it. You could try farm estate sales or something like that. Local dealers may have ones traded in but if they were working well they were probably not traded.

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc
yep. been looking at dealers Not much out there. 2013 have DPF, no DEF. have to go back to 2011-2012 to get no DPF

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc #4  
Step away from the Internet!!! ORT truck have logged millions and millions of miles with these emissions requirements. You will find issues with tires or hydraulics or anything else if you look long enough. You will be fine with whatever year you find. The bigger issue is finding a used machine in the size and brands you want. I gave up after a year of looking. It’s not that used ones don’t come up, it’s just that the good ones seem to go quick. Good luck on the hunt.

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc #5  
Went through that this spring. Needed a second tractor and had to be at least 90 pto. Looked and looked for a pre 4 unit. Finally found one 300 mils away in pretty good shape so I grabbed it. Glad I did. Been offered thousands more than I bought it for. Not for sale.

2 larger ag tractors now, both pre 4 and both FWA. and fine with me.

The more complex they get emissions wise, the more chance they will fail.

Step away from the Internet!!! ORT truck have logged millions and millions of miles with these emissions requirements. You will find issues with tires or hydraulics or anything else if you look long enough. You will be fine with whatever year you find. The bigger issue is finding a used machine in the size and brands you want. I gave up after a year of looking. It’s not that used ones don’t come up, it’s just that the good ones seem to go quick. Good luck on the hunt.

I know several OTR drivers. They have plenty of issues with their rigs.
Probably not as much as these tractors are having though.They are out on the road running all the time at high RPM. Unless you are plowing 3000+ acres, our tractors aren't running the required high RPMS to prevent many issues the dealers are seeing.

Emissions should have been mandated for tractors over 150 HP, not those of us that are using our tractors on a small farm
All the dealers I talk to say there are many issues with these emissions tractors.
So, If you got an emissions tractor that isn't having issues. You are one of the few

I'm still looking for the right 100 hp non emissions tractor.
There are plenty of low hr emission tractors on the chopping block.. Wonder why ? LOL

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc #7  
I have 2. 2 M9000's both pre 4. Pre 4 tractors are getting real hard to find and command premium prices.

Far as the comment about post 4 trucks, I retired from a Freightliner dealership and my good friend and hunting partner is still the service manager there. I know for a fact that 80% of their shop work is directly emissions related and the parts are absurdly expensive. Just the 'one box' which contains the SCR and DPF components is 11 grand to replace and the 'soot filter' like are on tractors today is 1300 replacement or 600 to clean if it can be cleaned. Every time we go to lunch, there are always a number of tractors (semi, not tractors) sitting outside running and stinking because the dosing systems (DPF) are screwed up.

You can thank the EPA and ***** for it. It's all a joke and the joke is on you. If, and I say if the engine builders had taken the time to perfect it (Tier 4 components) it might work, but it don't with lowest bidder components and you as the end user, get to do the 'research'.

Not me. My tractors don't have any emissions junk on them. Neither dies my pickup truck and I won't buy an post 4 diesel.

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc #8  
I have 2. 2 M9000's both pre 4. Pre 4 tractors are getting real hard to find and command premium prices.

Far as the comment about post 4 trucks, I retired from a Freightliner dealership and my good friend and hunting partner is still the service manager there. I know for a fact that 80% of their shop work is directly emissions related and the parts are absurdly expensive. Just the 'one box' which contains the SCR and DPF components is 11 grand to replace and the 'soot filter' like are on tractors today is 1300 replacement or 600 to clean if it can be cleaned. Every time we go to lunch, there are always a number of tractors (semi, not tractors) sitting outside running and stinking because the dosing systems (DPF) are screwed up.

You can thank the EPA and ***** for it. It's all a joke and the joke is on you. If, and I say if the engine builders had taken the time to perfect it (Tier 4 components) it might work, but it don't with lowest bidder components and you as the end user, get to do the 'research'.

Not me. My tractors don't have any emissions junk on them. Neither dies my pickup truck and I won't buy an post 4 diesel.

Get your facts straight. Tier IV implementation was determined in 2004.
The President was a Republican.

I don't think the prez had anything to do with it. It's overreach by the EPA. Congress should remove their power to enact such regulations.
Neither the R's Nor the D' are willing to strip the EPA of their over reaching authority

/ DPF/ DEF/ electronic fuel injection, etc #10  
Get your facts straight. Tier IV implementation was determined in 2004.
The President was a Republican.

...and ***** pushed it..... hard. I did get it straight. Tier 4 final wasn't fully implemented until the ***** administration. Irregardless, you now get to deal with it.

Could be an electric tractor in your future, who knows. Not in mine for sure. Come to think about that, didn't General Electric build an electric lawn tractor called (I think) an 'Electrak'? That was a flop.

In reality, tier 4 interim wasn't all that bad but anyone with a brain knew what was coming down the pike. Caterpillar comes to mind. They fiddled with the Tier 4 final crap and said 'thats all folks' and got out of the on road market entirely. I still remember the 3406 compliance engine with it's compound turbocharging and it's 'furnace' with of all things a sparkplug to 'light off the raw diesel' and burn the particulates before they reached the exhaust stack. Got terrible fuel mileage and was very problem prone. Then, they were gone. Today, I don't believe Cat offers reman parts for older engines, I think everything is aftermarket now but I'm not sure as I've been retired for a couple years now.

So, yes, Tier 4 was instituted before *****'s tenure but ***** gave it a head of steam (likewise with E-gas) and look at what we have today. Rudy Diesel would roll over in his grave if he saw how prostituted his beloved diesel engine has gotten.

I twisted wrenches for a lot of years (and still do for myself). I got to see it all and I had enough and got out.

Being enviromentally correct has a price and anyone with a Tier 4 final engine is paying it.

Again, none of that impacts me, my units are all Tier 4 interim, IOW, no electronics and no pollution enhancements.