DPF Regeneration driving me crazy...

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #131  
Two months later I traded it in on a Brand New 2750e Massey Ferguson Utility Tractor with NO DPF and NO REGEN. Just and EGR and DOC.

Others correct me if I'm wrong...but when I was doing my research, shopping for a new tractor, I learned that tractors using the DOC versus the DPF still need to be run hot and hard. That "C" in DOC stands for catalyst - and that catalyst won't burn off soot if it is not hot. Owner's manuals still had warnings to not idle the tractor too much - just as the owner's manual in my Kubota (DPF) does.

The DOC system means that regeneration is going on continuously, versus every so many hours as happens with a DPF system.

Good luck with your new tractor, hope it works out well for you.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #132  
I have to chuckle, because I've just been researching whether there's inexpensive way to retrofit a DPF on my older New Holland. Yes, it will be inconvenient once in a while... but I'm the guy breathing the soot, and I'm so far behind in all of my projects that I can't afford to die any earlier than I have to.

Seriously though, the thoughtful comments about what systems are working (or not) is all helpful.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #133  
I bought a used Massey Ferguson (2016) 1754 w. Loader. It had 284 hours on it, so, IMO it was nearly new. It has a DPF/Regen system.

I got it home, drove it 15 minutes with 3 bars of soot indicated. Alarms went off and it wanted to regen. So I stopped and set it up to do that. If refused to Regen. It refused to manually Regen. I called the dealership; spoke to the mechanic. It refused to regen (it was also not in "limp" mode).

They came out and force regen'd it with a laptop. Told me "when it gets to 3 bars of soot manually Regen."

Followed instructions to the "T" and 50 hours later tried to do a manual regen. NO GO! Five hours later alarms went off and again would not Regen and had 3 bars of soot indicated (I would go to 6 or 8 bars as "full" as I recall).

This time the dealer took it away. They were concerned to DOC was plugged. It was not. It was some "software issue."

I get the tractor back and now I don't trust it. Two months later I traded it in on a Brand New 2750e Massey Ferguson Utility Tractor with NO DPF and NO REGEN. Just and EGR and DOC. 0% financing to boot.

I hate the DPF and REGEN for threr reasons:
1.) It has proven unreliable.
2.) You have to run the engine HOT and HARD all the time.
3.) You are using fuel to Regen; The Regen is hot and still burning crap and sticking it in the air so there is no net environmental gain so the entire Regen is WASTEFUL.

So glad I got a tractor with no DPF
If I had a better shop I would have simply bought older equipment before DPF w/o 4WD like I had on my farm. Maybe an IH 684....
Sounds like maybe you got bad one. DPF has been proven reliable and they’ve been around for well over 30 years. You don’t need to run it any different than an old smoky tractor and unless you’re doing a parked regen you don’t use any more fuel. I’ve never done a parked regen but when it does a regular regen I only notice because you can smell it. Other than that and the light on the dash I wouldn’t hardly know it was happening. I idle mine a lot and rarely run over 2000 RPM but it still only regens about every 25 hours. If I was buying a tractor today, whether it had DPF or not wouldn’t even cross my mind except for maybe preferring one to eliminate all the fumes and the stink.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #134  
Never stop a regen! If you need to do a parked reqen you are either running the tractor too easy or shutting it off every time it starts a regen. When it tells you to increase rpms do it till the indicator goes out and keep working. If you work with the system it will work unless there is a software problem. If you work against it or don't run the tractor hard enough you WILL have issues. Snowblowing with a new MX6000 you don't notice anything, it just does it. Just like all the people who bought turbo diesels and do nothing but go to the grocery store and drive 2 miles back and forth to work. VVT systems start gumming up, EGR systems plugging up ect. Same engines running in medium duty trucks see hundreds of thousands of miles. HUH? what's different.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #135  
I knew the regeneration cycle would be happening as I kept away from the larger diesels as my buddy burnt two engines up on his trucks. But the regeneration lights come on, right as I am in the middle of something, or it starts beeping and I have to stop immediately out in the field and find a empty spot to regenerate so I dont set the whole forest on fire. This is nuts...
I run my Kioti ck 35 at a good rpm. Don't let it idle down much except for starting and a minute or two before shutting down. I don't put a lot of hours on it. Maybe a 100 + a year for snowblowing and moving logs and bush hogging a pasture. Two years on new machine and no regen yet. All I can say is don't let it load up by operating at your recommended RPM's for your machine.

Last edited:
   / DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #136  
I run my Kioti ck 35 at a good rpm. Don't let it idle down much except for starting and a minute or two before shutting down. I don't put a lot of hours on it. Maybe a 100 + a year for snowblowing and moving logs and bush hogging a pasture. Two years on new machine and no regen yet. All I can say is don't let it load up by not operating at your recommended RPM's for your machine.
Are you sure? I only have one machine with the new . . . and I run it pretty much at pto rated speed . . . it has regened a few times, it has maybe 200 hrs. on it.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #137  
Are you sure? I only have one machine with the new . . . and I run it pretty much at pto rated speed . . . it has regened a few times, it has maybe 200 hrs. on it.
^This.
The only way I can tell my Kubota is regenerating is if I notice the light on in the dash. No difference in how the tractor operates, no smell, no different noise. At least nothing I notice inside the cab with the stereo playing!

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #138  
^^^^^ Yep, I can have Buddy Holly and the like pretty loud . . . :cool: . . . (y).

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #139  
My kubota regens more frequently than I expected also, but just keep the RPMs up and keep working. Not such a big deal.

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #140  
I have a 2014 VW TDI, regens when I'm pulling up the driveway most times. Put it in the garage, no problem, the fans just run till it cools down. No smell, no issues. Warms it up for the dogs. Truck does regens also, the only issue I have is the amount of fuel needed for a complete regen, in the truck it can be almost a gallon - if it can't do a complete one. I never pay any attention to them anymore, they are programmed just fine.