DPF Regeneration driving me crazy...

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy...
My MF 1739e was doing that every few hours, then the ECM light came on and took it in to the dealer. They ended up replacing the entire DPF system. They also alerted me to the filter under the tractor that feeds the DPF that was not in the MF training on the subject.
Since getting it fixed, mine recycles while I am working the tractor, and now, about every 30 hours or so
I am giving everything a looking over to see if I spot anything, and will have it serviced by the dealer to see if its just my usage or something else. We will see..

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #122  
Love my Kubota still....after 4 years of regens :)

I continue using the tractor while it regens keeping in mind the revs are running much higher, however I'm not using mine in dry hayfields so can see how it would be a much bigger inconvenience to some.

Last edited:
   / DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #124  
I bought a used Massey Ferguson (2016) 1754 w. Loader. It had 284 hours on it, so, IMO it was nearly new. It has a DPF/Regen system.

I got it home, drove it 15 minutes with 3 bars of soot indicated. Alarms went off and it wanted to regen. So I stopped and set it up to do that. If refused to Regen. It refused to manually Regen. I called the dealership; spoke to the mechanic. It refused to regen (it was also not in "limp" mode).

They came out and force regen'd it with a laptop. Told me "when it gets to 3 bars of soot manually Regen."

Followed instructions to the "T" and 50 hours later tried to do a manual regen. NO GO! Five hours later alarms went off and again would not Regen and had 3 bars of soot indicated (I would go to 6 or 8 bars as "full" as I recall).

This time the dealer took it away. They were concerned to DOC was plugged. It was not. It was some "software issue."

I get the tractor back and now I don't trust it. Two months later I traded it in on a Brand New 2750e Massey Ferguson Utility Tractor with NO DPF and NO REGEN. Just and EGR and DOC. 0% financing to boot.

I hate the DPF and REGEN for threr reasons:
1.) It has proven unreliable.
2.) You have to run the engine HOT and HARD all the time.
3.) You are using fuel to Regen; The Regen is hot and still burning crap and sticking it in the air so there is no net environmental gain so the entire Regen is WASTEFUL.

So glad I got a tractor with no DPF
If I had a better shop I would have simply bought older equipment before DPF w/o 4WD like I had on my farm. Maybe an IH 684....

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #125  
Speculation. People have been hand wringing about electronics on vehicles for 40 years now, yet new vehicles are far more dependable than the 1970s era vehicles.
That's so true!

I can however add that one cant isolate the valuable position of chips alone as being responsible for the MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure) rates of newer equip being lower than older. The comprehensive growth of manufacturing, in its entirety, in maintaining consistent tolerances with computer designed plans, CNC equipment to manufacture stuff, and destructive testing on final products has a lot top do with the results you mention.

All of that helps to keep both manufacturing tolerances and real world use tolerances within a specific range for a relatively known "lifetime" per part. Add to that statistical failure analysis in the field and in manufacturing create most of the positive results we see out there.

But what do I know!! I just use the things and hope they keep running!

Last edited:
   / DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #126  
DPF and regen issues are not confined to poor design or electrical problems (sensors or computer) as seems to be the popular goto for service departments.

The attached presentation indicates many other mechanical issues that can lead to constant problems.

It seems most tractor dealer service departments (and manufactures) are oblivious to these causes and just throw parts at it.
I so agree!!! and what about warranty? if a dealer replaces something that really isn't the problem then who pays?

We all do.

I used to work on computers. In the early days if you could afford a bunch of replacement video, memory, serial or other cards, you could find a bad card by just replacing it checking it and moving on to the next card...

I would hope that todays Dealerships don't follow that kind of practice, you know... scratching their head and saying "Well I've replaced just about everything here... I have no idea what it could be!"

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #127  
I think some of you need bigger things to worry about. The sky is falling.....well not yet, but someday it probably will. Must be stressful worrying about stupid **** all of the time.
Great comment !!!!

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #128  
That will out live the tractor, by far
Hmmm ... my 2020 has 530 hours on it.

I have a 2009 and a 2010 Chevy 1500 and GMC 1500 both with 275,000 miles I bought new.

Are you telling me I'm only going to get 20,000 hours on my tractor? :(:(

lets see... 530 hours in 2 years is 265hrs/year

20,000hours/265hours = 75 years. I'm only going to get another 75 years out of this thing? what a rip off!

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #129  
I purchased a 2019 MF 1739E for our place. Mostly bucket work. Currently 112hrs. Regen approx every 5 - 6 hrs. Before the starting issue and taking it in. I was bad at running higher rpms. Tech told me to work it so l do now. At 107hrs it started and died in 5 - 10 sec. Hard to load on trailer lol. The tech said it was sooted bad. Cleaned and returned back. No charge. At approx 4 - 5hrs since return, it did a regen. Seems MF has a issue with these coming out of India...
Great technical info. Thank you!

/ DPF Regeneration driving me crazy... #130  
I knew the regeneration cycle would be happening as I kept away from the larger diesels as my buddy burnt two engines up on his trucks. But the regeneration lights come on, right as I am in the middle of something, or it starts beeping and I have to stop immediately out in the field and find a empty spot to regenerate so I dont set the whole forest on fire. This is nuts...
There is a switch to stop the regen. Keep working, and the restart it when you're done.