Drain from washer into Septic

/ Drain from washer into Septic #1  

check

Elite Member
Dorset (cottage country) and Toronto, Ontario, Can
Tractor
2009 Kubota BX25
Hi, folks, my washing machine drain started backflowing where the (grey) hose goes in to the ABS drain pipe. (See the pic.)

I have used this washer a couple of times before with no problem, so I don’t see why all of a sudden the washing machine water would backflow out of the ABS PIPE/grey hose connection (which I just have “sealed” with Gorilla tape.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

James

IMG_3120.JPG

/ Drain from washer into Septic #2  
Check the line for being plugged by ravelings, lint, etc ...

/ Drain from washer into Septic #3  
Could divert it outside, as it's "gray" water, but you need to figure out what is causing the plug to the septic.

Ralph

/ Drain from washer into Septic #4  
Hi, folks, my washing machine drain started backflowing where the (grey) hose goes in to the ABS drain pipe. (See the pic.)

I have used this washer a couple of times before with no problem, so I don’t see why all of a sudden the washing machine water would backflow out of the ABS PIPE/grey hose connection (which I just have “sealed” with Gorilla tape.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

James

View attachment 652417

Twice witouy a problem doesn't prove it ever worked right. There's more than a dozen possabilities but you aren't up to the task of sorting them out so I recommend calling a pro.

/ Drain from washer into Septic #5  
What is the state of your septic system? Is it functioning properly or is it full? How is the ground? Do you have excessive ground water from Spring runoff right now?

When my septic failed a couple summers ago, when I replaced it I removed my washing machine from it, as the soaps do nothing to help a septic. So I dug another hole in a different location, ran a new line and filled with big round rocks for drainage. Now no worries of the soaps or over watering the septic. But a couple winters ago when we had 13.5 feet of snow I had excessive ground water in the spring melt and I ended up having water coming back in. (my machine drains into a sump barrel which then pumps out to the new field) So I ended up putting a quarter turn shutoff valve in the line. But I only had to turn it off that one year.

/ Drain from washer into Septic
What is the state of your septic system? Is it functioning properly or is it full? How is the ground? Do you have excessive ground water from Spring runoff right now?

When my septic failed a couple summers ago, when I replaced it I removed my washing machine from it, as the soaps do nothing to help a septic. So I dug another hole in a different location, ran a new line and filled with big round rocks for drainage. Now no worries of the soaps or over watering the septic. But a couple winters ago when we had 13.5 feet of snow I had excessive ground water in the spring melt and I ended up having water coming back in. (my machine drains into a sump barrel which then pumps out to the new field) So I ended up putting a quarter turn shutoff valve in the line. But I only had to turn it off that one year.

Septic system is fine. Toilets flushing with no overflow. Probed the drain, no blockage.

Is the vent close enough? Supposed to be within 5 feet, right?

/ Drain from washer into Septic #7  
If you've already ran a snake through that ABS to the main pipe with no blockages, and the washer drain doesn't overflow when toilets are flushed or showers ran from above, then maybe it's the washer itself. Is this a new washer? It could be that it's pumping out faster than the water can settle and flow out through the trap the way it's setup. Otherwise it's a main drain partial blockage which you can find with a larger snake.

Last edited:
   / Drain from washer into Septic #8  
Many years ago worked on home appliances. Not far from where I lived we had a case lot like that. The washer just pumped faster than the line they had could handle the flow. If possible run the washer with a temporary drain hose and see how that works.

Depending on the washer you have it is dumping much more water than your toilet does. If a top loader and full about 10 gallons and your toilet is about 1 gallon. Here the septic tanks guys would check the tank to see if it needs pumping and many will suggest dumping say 25 pounds of lime in it to break down the fat and such in there.

/ Drain from washer into Septic #9  
Is the black pipe being supported on the right end where the washer drains into it? It looks like that side is sagging a bit.

/ Drain from washer into Septic #10  
I think most codes recommend a 1.5 or 2 inch drain line with a stand pipe 36-42 inches above the trap. That is going to require some re-work in your situation.

SimS