Drain plug 3/8 +/-

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
I have a lawn tractor that has a 3/8" square drain plug (it is a little bigger than 3/8 I cannot put a 3/8 ext bar on it). It is a very tight spot to get a wrench on it. Now I take a 1/2" ext bar and put a wrench on the drive end to turn the plug. The 1/2 is a little "sloppy". Any ideas?

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #2  
Is the square part male or female? If male you might be able to find a 12 point socket to fit. There are 8 point sockets made for those.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/-
Is the square part male or female? If male you might be able to find a 12 point socket to fit. There are 8 point sockets made for those.
It is male.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #5  
You didn't say what this is. 3/8" pipe size or head size? Possible that it is a 10 MM or 7/16" ? Evac it through the dipstick or drain via the filter are other possibilities.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #6  
i have seldom seen any square head that was a exact size. especially on a pipe plug which most drain plugs are.
if you have room to get a socket on it try metric as well. there should be some size that will grip it. same with wrenches. on both try 6 or 12 point.
also have used a large vice-grip and small pipe wrench.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #8  
most pipe plugs the square is also tapered a little which makes a standard open end wrench fit even worse. I have a 3/8" 8 point socket that is meant for square heads and works most of the time. Seems like some of the newer plugs are more of an oddball size that older ones.

/ Drain plug 3/8 +/- #10  
Since it sounds like it is doable but not easy, the next time you get it out replace it with a hex plug.