Drawbar question

/ Drawbar question #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Was reading through the manual for my hay baler and it said to have 14" from the end of the pto to the center of the hitch pin hole on the drawbar. Where my drawbar was currently set was at 12", but when I take it out to the next hole (to be at the 14" mark) the back of the drawbar (towards the front of the tractor) is barely in the back part of the mount. There is another adjustment hole on the drawbar to extend it even further but it doesn't seem like it is in the mount correctly at those points. Does anyone else have their drawbar set at 14" from pto to center of hitch pin hole and use it without issue?

/ Drawbar question #2  
The whole purpose of the 14 inches is to reduce the acute angle the PTO shaft makes when the tractor turns relative to the baler. Anything less than 14 inches makes the PTO shaft U-joints complain in a sharp turn. If your tractor / baler always traveled in a straight,level line, the U-joints wouldn't be needed.

/ Drawbar question
I understand the reason for the spacing. I didn't phrase my question very well, my wife tells me I have communication problems. Lol. Anyway are there any 5240 or grand L users out there using there drawbar at 14" from end if pto shaft to center of hitch pin?

/ Drawbar question #4  
Sounds like you may need a longer drawbar. Mine sticks out quite a ways, but I think it's less than 14".

/ Drawbar question #5  
My communication is lacking too .... I mean to say if your drawbar is less than the specified 14 inches your minimum turning radius is just larger. So just use the drawbar you have, and make your turns bigger.

or are you concerned the drawbar will be damaged ?

/ Drawbar question
I'm confident that it will be fine in the 12" spacing. There are two more adjustment holes though to move it to 14" and 16" spacing but at those settings it seems like the secured end (under the tractor) is too short and wouldn't adequately handle much tongue weight or side load. I'm probably completely wrong and just worrying too much, but was curious if anyone else was using their drawbar extended out that far.

/ Drawbar question #7  
Pics at 14" would help

/ Drawbar question #8  
I checked mine this morning. At it's longest setting (with inner end properly supported in the draw bar "pocket"), it's just over 14" from the end of pto shaft to the center of the outermost hole in the drawbar. So, mine would work from an L3400. Odd that a larger tractor wouldn't have at least that long a drawbar setup.

ForumRunner_20140628_095821.png

If I move the bar any further out, the inner end wouldn't be supported, and it'd be likely to bend the welded pocket with any amount of tongue load. I suspect yours has a similar arrangement.

Sean

/ Drawbar question
It's out running the hay but I'll snap a picture when we are changing over to the rake. It looks very similar yo what you posted though. When I bring it out to 14" the draw bar seems like it is on the edge of coming out of the rear pocket. I'll get a picture to show it.

/ Drawbar question #10  
Did you try swapping end for end? The pin holes in mine aren't evenly spaced. I had to grind one end on an angle to keep it from hitting the fwd drive shaft casing, the other end has no problem.