Driveway markers

/ Driveway markers #41  
What brand? They sound pretty decent.

I'm up here in Colorado, so we get more UV in 1 winter than most of you get in a year or 3. The whole length of the rods gets fuzzy from the glass fibers as the epoxy gets destroyed from the UV. It's the UV causing my issues, not mechanical damage splintering the rods.
Looking at Lowes and HD sites, I'd say mine were Everbilt or Hillman brand. Although they all look similar in that style and when I but them they are in bulk bins or tubes, preferably on sale. I'd say you're right about the UV difference too. You might try to by new ones, and put a coat of good orange paint on them from the start to protect form UV longer. I space mine out as far as I can, just enough for me to follow the contour of the long drive, and only put them on one side. I thin plow pushing snow to the opposite side every time so the stakes don't get much abuse. Honestly, I figured I'd be replacing a few each year and they would have all been replaced with new by now, but I haven't damaged any yet. The reflective tape is definitely wearing out though.

/ Driveway markers #42  
i also use a hammer drill bit and my cordless drill when setting my 50+ winter edge markers up every year. takes about 20 minutes to knock out. I use the fiberglass rods myself.

/ Driveway markers #43  
Looking at Lowes and HD sites, I'd say mine were Everbilt or Hillman brand. Although they all look similar in that style and when I but them they are in bulk bins or tubes, preferably on sale. I'd say you're right about the UV difference too. You might try to by new ones, and put a coat of good orange paint on them from the start to protect form UV longer. I space mine out as far as I can, just enough for me to follow the contour of the long drive, and only put them on one side. I thin plow pushing snow to the opposite side every time so the stakes don't get much abuse. Honestly, I figured I'd be replacing a few each year and they would have all been replaced with new by now, but I haven't damaged any yet. The reflective tape is definitely wearing out though.
I was just going to suggest that, either a bright color, or clear coat.
Perhaps get a half gallon of paint and use a piece of 1.5" PVC (with a cap on one end) that is a few inches shorter than the sticks, that way they can get completely covered, then you can take them out and let them dry (resting on a couple of pieces of angle iron?).

Aaron Z

/ Driveway markers #44  
Lots of great ideas...
I use fiberglass rods. I drive a landscape spike (giant nail) into the ground, remove the spike, and drop the rod in the hole.

/ Driveway markers #45  
Lots of great ideas...
I use fiberglass rods. I drive a landscape spike (giant nail) into the ground, remove the spike, and drop the rod in the hole.

I use the spring loaded fiberglass similar to these, and I also use a large railroad tie spike landscape spike to pre make the hole;
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200636276_200636276
I like the spring loaded ones as snow plowing and deer don't usually knock them down.
Usually I will put a couple on both ends of my culverts to mark them so I can plow close without running over the ends.

/ Driveway markers #46  
I have a mile long gravel drive. Part of it is clearly defined by trees, etc. But I mark other sections with about 40 6 ft. pieces of 1/2 pvc I was given by a plumber who hunts my property. I dipped the top foot of each piece in a day-glo pink paint - repeated as needed, and put up in early December before the ground freezes here. I have rocky ground in places but use an old piece of round bar steel that I drive into the ground to make a hole when needed. Never had any real problems. I put the pegs exactly 2 feet to the right of the edge of my driveway and that has worked for years through some super heavy snows.

/ Driveway markers #48  
I use over 100 stakes a season. I order them from Discount Snow Stakes and use their Pro Line 5/16" Orange 6 foot stakes. I have found these to be the best for me. They last a long tome, don't get splintery unless I run over them, and have good big reflectors. I order about 20 or 25 a year to replace the ones I break and rotate out the oldest ones. I punch a hole in our bony ground with a sharpened piece of rebar and a 3 lb hammer then just drop the stake in. I used to cut and sharpen saplings but not any more.

Discount Snow Stakes Discount Snow Stakes | Driveway Markers | Reflective Stakes Discount Driveway Markers

gg

/ Driveway markers #49  
Here in the U.P of Michigan the road crew used to use strait saplings cut from the woods. Commonly called "Upper sticks" and they would just hammer some rebar in a few inches and pull back out and stick the sapling in. And for night viewing, a little reflector tape and orange survey tape worked well.
I use tomato stakes with survey tape and old red Tide plastic bottles pushed over the top for my drive.

/ Driveway markers #50  
I use rebar scraps for my poles and slip short lengths of blue poly pipe for visibility.
To hold the blue poly onto the rebar I wedge tapered wood to make a tight fit.

Blue shows up very well and I had odd lengths left over from water pump installations.

One advantage of rebar is you can straighten the rad should you snag it.
Naturally you want to install your markers B4 the ground freezes.