Dump bed Pick Ups

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #61  
local quary i go to in STL has a min charge of $15. (single axle utility trailer or pickup) the operaters are really good, know how to dump a load and will watch you for direction on how much material you want.

I think the nats arse would be to find a wrecked F350 dually or simular and chop the bed off and turn it into a dump trailer with the dump kit.

then you could hook up behind the CUT if you wanted.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #62  
Seon said:
I bought an insert some 5 years ago for my truck. I've since sold my truck but kept the insert, built a tandum trailer and mounted it. If I ever decide to buy another work truck, I'll just remove it from the trailer and mount in in the bed.

Pic: http://www.ez-dumper.com/images/products/upload/Pro Pic.jpg

I ran across this pic of my truck loaded with lumber. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/687113/1184058/181097790.jpg

And here's are pics of the dump bed I removed from the truck. I bought axles from Northern Tools and the steel from a local shop.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL563/2749607/7945938/251814293.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL563/2749607/7945938/251814275.jpg

It's neat to load trash, go to the dumps, press a button, dump and drive off all in less than 3 minutes.

It's also great to haul gravel, topsoil, rocks or anyother material from the nursery and dump it at home. That's when the J. Deere takes over ;) .

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #63  
PaulChristenson said:
Quarries are not in the business to load stone at 1/2 a ton a shot...The liability issues of the quarry have been mentioned by others on this thread...

My 86 F350 has hauled on the average 4 tons a trip of yard mix for refinishing my driveway and workareas around the barns...and those loads were HALF Buckets of the smallest loader in the quarry...:)

During this spring while I was in the quarry getting my load...there were several triaxle semi-trailers being loaded with 75,000lbs of stone for the cement company...THAT'S where their money comes from...:)

On the insurance side...you should have a very low rate depending on miles used...if you only put about 5K miles on your dump truck each year...your rate should be about $200 a year...

Since I dont know where you live and how much insurance costs are I can only tell you of the quote I got. I believe it was 1200.00 a year for liability only. I pointed out it was going to be a farm vehicle and be used occasionaly for getting sand or gravel from the quarry that is 9 miles from my house. I was told it did not matter the 1200.00 per year price was the minimum they could get the premium for. Since I spend about 8 thousand a year on various insurances. I shop around on a regular basis. With the exception of an inland marine insurance this is the cheapers insurance company in my area.

Since this post first started I bought a dump trailer made from a truck with dual wheels but a single axle. It was a homemade trailer and I have had some problems with getting it all working correctly. I have part of the problems resolved. I still need to get one new wheel and new tires but I have it working well enough to use around my farm. For my use this is the perfect solution. I dont have to pay high insurance fees. In arkansas trailer license is a one time fee. I can hook the trailer up to my tractor and move it around in places that might be harder to get into with a truck. For my use the trailer is a much better way to go.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
JimR said:
I hauled a lot of stone, sand and crushed gravel in my dump pickup when I had it. No one ever refused to load my truck. Not one of them ever did any damage to my truck either. Quality help means quality work.

It sure does.

I had a new 71 ford f250 regular bed PickUp & back then I hauld gravel in it.
There was never any question that anybody would ever refuse to load it.
Such a thought never occured to anyone.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
AlanB said:
1*The liability associated with dump trucks, the nature of the materials that they haul, and the claims against them are substantially higher.

2*You may never have a problem, and your insurance may be just fine, but if it was me, they would jerk my insurance if I gave them incomplete information and did not accurately describe the vehicle.
1* I take my regular pick up to get 2 ton of slag & haul it home, then I go back to the slag pit and pick up another 2 ton and take it home in my other pick up that's just like the first one except it has a dump bed.
How can the liability the material hauled or any claim be different between the 2 trucks?
2*I don't think lumping a private owned personally used pick up in with A Mack duel or tandem axle dump truck commercially used for hire is an accurate description of a pick up.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
philshel said:
I have an old D350 flatbed/dump that I got at auction from our state road department. Best $2600.00 I ever spent. I commonly carry two yards of ¾ crushed granite in it. It could carry more, but I live in a hilly area and I’d be pulling the hills at 5mph with any more weight. I also use it for hauling firewood around the property and have stacked it well above the cab without any problems at all. I would never be without one now.

So is insuring it expensive ?

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #67  
LBrown59 said:
1* I take my regular pick up to get 2 ton of slag & haul it home, then I go back to the slag pit and pick up another 2 ton and take it home in my other pick up that's just like the first one except it has a dump bed.
How can the liability the material hauled or any claim be different between the 2 trucks?
2*I don't think lumping a private owned personally used pick up in with A Mack duel or tandem axle dump truck commercially used for hire is an accurate description of a pick up.

I believe I have heard you talk about your pickup before does it have a hydraulic dump bed or is it one of the dumps that you wind up something that sets on the bottom of the bed and that dumps it off the back ?

I have posted several times that the insurance quotes I got were pretty substantial. these quotes were for non commercial use of the truck. They were for a 450 truck with single rear axle and dual wheels not a mack truck or a dual axle truck. The rates were for a farm vehicle with limted time on the public roads. The cheapest rates on any vehicle I have ever had were when I listed it as a farm vehicle with limited time on public roads. Whether the rates that I was quoted were fair or not I do not know. I just know what they were. I hope that someone that has a dump truck that they use for non commercial use would give us an idea of their rates. The rates I am being quoted might be something peculiar to arkansas.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
AndyM said:
1*It doesn't make sense to me to buy a truck, pay for insurance, license plates, fuel, and other maintenance for a vehicle that is only going to get used a couple of times a year.
Carter Lumber delivers for 25 dollars and the dump truck guy delivers 20 tons of bulk material (gravel, etc) for 65 dollars. In my case, it's cheaper to drive my little car, and pay someone to deliver if I ever need it.
And it don't make sense to me to pay places like lumber yards and trucking COs. delivery fees or charges when I already own a truck and am paying the insurance license plates fuel and maintenance on my truck.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #69  
i was shopping for a dump insert and as a last try for an alternative picked up a loadlandler. i got the 1 1/2 ton model. for $150.00 it has been a great purchase. load my 1 ton w/ mulch, gravel, crusher run, dirt doesn't matter. very easy turning the crank to empty the bed. the added benifit is it doesn't weigh as much as an insert. dump insert weighs around 600# and i would rather have the payload available.
good luck,

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
capt_met said:
i was shopping for a dump insert and as a last try for an alternative picked up a loadlandler. i got the 1 1/2 ton model. for $150.00 it has been a great purchase. load my 1 ton w/ mulch, gravel, crusher run, dirt doesn't matter. very easy turning the crank to empty the bed. the added benifit is it doesn't weigh as much as an insert. dump insert weighs around 600# and i would rather have the payload available.
good luck,

I bought a load handler last summer at wall mart for 89 dollars. Best 89 bucks I ever spent! They sure as heck beat unloading with a shovel. I was into wall mart about a month ago and they still had one like mine left marked down to 40 dollars. I should have bought it.
It will work with my Toyota, Nissan and 86 and 89 dodge D-50 pick ups.
I hauled 36 loads of dirt with it in my D~50 from up on the hill behind me down to the front road ditch that I was filling in. I can only haul 1000 pounds in that little truck so 36 loads was 18 tons of dirt that I hauled.
Don't forget to lay the thing out in the floor of the bed before loading. Been there done that and didn't like the results.
Also always make sure the tailgate is up and latched before you load.
I loaded mine once and forgot to close the tail gate first; didn't care for those results either.
The load handler is nice but I'd still like to have a 3/4 or one tone pick up with a dump lift so I could haul more than I can with the little import trucks.
Also I wouldn't have to crank it like I do the load handler.
With a dump you just dump and go with no cleaning out the bed and setting up the load handler in preparation for the next load. If your making many trips to hall several loads that's a great advantage over the load handler.
I have given some thought of replacing the load handler crank with a pulley and a belt to an electric motor to crank the load handler to unload.