Dump bed Pick Ups

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
gemini5362 said:
I believe I have heard you talk about your pickup before does it have a hydraulic dump bed or is it one of the dumps that you wind up something that sets on the bottom of the bed and that dumps it off the back ?

See post 70

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #72  
i think you have to decide how much use the dump will get. if loading multiple times a week i wouldn't go with a loadhandler or insert. may be time to pull the bed off and put a dump on. but for use with 1/2- 3/4 tons i would go with the loadhandler and use the insert money towards a dump trailer or older 1 ton dump. i am also concerned about the lifts that use the original truck bed. i have read of people twisting their bed with them. i guess if the kit addresses that that could be another option. i just wanted to throw the loadhandler out there as an option for pick ups.
good luck,

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #73  
gemini5362 said:
Since I dont know where you live and how much insurance costs are I can only tell you of the quote I got. I believe it was 1200.00 a year for liability only. I pointed out it was going to be a farm vehicle and be used occasionaly for getting sand or gravel from the quarry that is 9 miles from my house. I was told it did not matter the 1200.00 per year price was the minimum they could get the premium for. Since I spend about 8 thousand a year on various insurances. I shop around on a regular basis. With the exception of an inland marine insurance this is the cheapers insurance company in my area.

Since this post first started I bought a dump trailer made from a truck with dual wheels but a single axle. It was a homemade trailer and I have had some problems with getting it all working correctly. I have part of the problems resolved. I still need to get one new wheel and new tires but I have it working well enough to use around my farm. For my use this is the perfect solution. I dont have to pay high insurance fees. In arkansas trailer license is a one time fee. I can hook the trailer up to my tractor and move it around in places that might be harder to get into with a truck. For my use the trailer is a much better way to go.

VT
USAA
25 years without an accident...knock on the formica...:)
Only operators are myself and my wife...no hired hands or anyone else for that matter use the truck

$1200 for liability only on a 1 ton farm vehicle...you need to speak to your Farm Bureau, this is Arkansas' (http://www.arfb.com/) and get a lead on a better insurance policy or is there something in your driving history?? (Not being judgmental, just curious about why the costs are so high...email me)

I fully support your use of a dump trailer if you are looking at $1200 for liability only...

My major concern with dump trailers in their ability of their axles to take the SHOCK of loading if the skiploader's bucket is a shade high when he tips it...:)

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
gemini5362 said:
1*I have posted several times that the insurance quotes I got were pretty substantial.
2* these quotes were for non commercial use of the truck.
3* They were for a 450 truck with single rear axle and dual wheels not a Mack truck or a dual axle truck.
4*The rates were for a farm vehicle with limited time on the public roads.
5* Whether the rates that I was quoted were fair or not I do not know.
6*I hope that someone that has a dump truck that they use for non commercial use would give us an idea of their rates.
7*The rates I am being quoted might be something peculiar to Arkansas.
1* They sure sound awful high to me.
2* Their commercial rate must be out of sight.
3* I'd be afraid to ask for their rate on a Mack duel axle dump truck.
4* I'd hate to see their rate on a non farm unlimited use.
5*They don't sound very good to me.
6*So do I.
7*Or the insurer.
Wonder what their rate would be on a tandem axle Mack dump truck driven frequently for commercial purposes and not a farm vehicle.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #75  
LBrown59 said:
1* They sure sound awful high to me.
2* Their commercial rate must be out of sight.
3* I'd be afraid to ask for their rate on a Mack duel axle dump truck.
4* I'd hate to see their rate on a non farm unlimited use.
5*They don't sound very good to me.
6*So do I.
7*Or the insurer.
Wonder what their rate would be on a tandem axle Mack dump truck driven frequently for commercial purposes and not a farm vehicle.

1. They are the cheapest insurer I have found around my part of the country
2. I dont know what it is I dont buy commercial insurance.
3. I probably wont ask because I have no intention of buying one.
4. You probably wont have to find out since you live so far away from their office.
5. They sound good to me they beat everyone else by quite a bit
7. Not the insurer to the best of my knowledge I have checked others on several things.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
Dirthog said:
One of the main reasons they will not load pickups and small trailers is liability issues ie you take it out on the road and hurt some one and they will also try and come back on the quarry with a hoist on a small pickup you are going to be close to its rated weight without anything in the bed you will be lucky if you can hall much more than a half a yard of stone with out being over weight
I could haul 4 to 5 thousand pounds on the 1971 Ford 3/4 ton pick up I had.
Even figuring in the weight of a hoist there is still a lot of that 4 to 5 K Lbs.
left for cargo.

I'd rather carry a little less and dump it with the aid of a hoist than carry even more in a PickUp with out the hoist and have to shovel the larger load out of that danged pick up.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
JimR said:
I had a Uni-Hoist setup years ago in my old Ford F250 4X4. It worked great for what it was. It is better to dump dowhill than to try and dump uphill just so you know in advance. Shoveling is required for overloaded pickups. An 8 foot bed filled flat with washed crushed cement sand weights 6000 pounds. Be aware of this should you try it sometime. Going through the scales at 11,200 pounds made the weight guy run out to warn me. I did have 13 leaf springs on the rear and was not dead axled. It was a scary ride home.

I could haul 4 or 5 k lbs. in the 1971 ford f250 camper special i had back then and it handled it well.
I did haul 6000 pounds on it once and that was a bit to much.

/ Dump bed Pick Ups #78  
gemini5362 said:
I believe I have heard you talk about your pickup before does it have a hydraulic dump bed or is it one of the dumps that you wind up something that sets on the bottom of the bed and that dumps it off the back ?

I have posted several times that the insurance quotes I got were pretty substantial. these quotes were for non commercial use of the truck. They were for a 450 truck with single rear axle and dual wheels not a mack truck or a dual axle truck. The rates were for a farm vehicle with limted time on the public roads. The cheapest rates on any vehicle I have ever had were when I listed it as a farm vehicle with limited time on public roads. Whether the rates that I was quoted were fair or not I do not know. I just know what they were. I hope that someone that has a dump truck that they use for non commercial use would give us an idea of their rates. The rates I am being quoted might be something peculiar to arkansas.
1996 f 450 farm use dump truck insurance liability only 50 mile radius $357.00for 1 year. ERIE INSURANCE 100 ERIE PLACE ERIE PA 16530

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
biffnh said:
I have an EZ-Dump on a 1995 F250 and it works great. We have had it for 8 years. We love it. It can handle a yard of 3/4 stone. And I haul a yard of sand in it all winter for ballast while plowing and to sand ice. It is a light dump truck, but for moving small loads of bark, chips, loam and stone it is tough.
Is it insured as a pick up or as a dump truck?
Is it classified as a personal or commercial veh. by the insurer ?

/ Dump bed Pick Ups
JimR said:
My dump pickup was called a pickup because the bed was the original equipment and not a dump truck style bed.
There is a world of difference between a pick up that dumps and a real dump truck.