Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #1  

leonz

Tractor
JD LA115, WH 244, Troy Built Horse 8 HP
SO I have been doomed with the need for a 4th deep cycle battery for my 2 ton MAXAM dump trailer and well, its become expensive as I do not use the trailer the year round and the pump and 12 volt motor are still brand new after 5 years etc., etc.

Would it be worth the effort to just use 4-0 cables with a set of jumper clamps one for the battery and the just hard wiring the trailers pump with battery connectors and storing the wire bundle in the trailers battery and pump box.

Any thoughts, insights and suggestions would be welcome. The battery is shot and was charged and it was tested.

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #2  
I do not use deep cycle batteries, I use a regular automotive duty battery.
I purchased my dump trailer in 1999,, and the trailer is on its third battery.
I probably will need a battery,, soon.

I do have one of those chargers that supposedly eliminates sulfating,,

My battery will dump four loads of 5,300 pounds, then it need charging.

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #3  
Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^

Huh. I've got a 2014 dump trailer and hauled literally 3 loads averaging 11k lbs each and 2 loads of 4 yards of screened sand in 1 day. The last load went up pretty slowly, but no issues with the battery. My truck has a charge wire and I will put the battery on the trickle charger every now and then. Original battery. I believe it's a deep cycle. I was thinking of adding a battery and a heavier charge wire for running all day.

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #4  
I can't keep a battery good for longer than 9 months. I've tried keeping them on trickle, leave them alone and even pulled it. I'm picking up a Honda powered pump with reservoir on Tuesday that's made for trailers. Yes it's one more motor to maintain and more gas but I'm done with the elec pump and motors. Just use the battery for the break away and I'm good. Another reason is I think my pumps going bad. Would work last time I tried it so I plumbed it to the tractor. Once I got a taste of the good life of not worrying about batteries I was sold

Brett

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #5  
When I have looked at deep cycle batteries at Sams Club, I notice they only have a one year warranty.
Maybe the deep cycles do not last long?? :confused2:

My JD 4105 was built December 2012,,

4105%20Battery_zpsryxofjml.jpg

The little round sticker on the battery says DEC 2012.

4105%20Battery-2_zpsf5pcjxxe.jpg

When I looked at the tractor January 2017, the tractor had sat for 9-10 months.
The battery was completely dead.

The dealer charged the battery enough to get the tractor to start, and get on and off the trailer.

I connected the battery to my charger for a week, and the tractor started right up.
I ran the tractor today, the battery is still perfect.

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #6  
I use a standard car battery in my maxxum 14k dump trailer. When I know I'm not going to use the trailer for an extended time. I remove the battery and put it on a maintenance charger in the barn. I've found the secret to long battery life is maintaining the charge. When living up North keeping the battery from freezing was much easier if it was charged.

I'm 5 years on the same battery. Just got done hauling 12 loads averaging 4.5 ton over 3 days. I put a 2 amp charger on it each night when doing this. The truck won't recover the charge for me because I have a short haul distance.

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #7  
A deep cycle battery has thicker beefier plates. Because of the beefier plates it's more tolerant of deep discharges than an automotive type battery. I don't remember if a deep cycle has any fewer amp hours of capacity, but they have fewer cold cranking amps. The thinner plates in an automotive battery give more instantaneous amps to run a starter than a deep cycle.

The worst things you can do to a lead acid battery is discharge it below 50% and let it sit discharged. Lead sulphite starts to build up on the surface of the plates when not fully charged. Lead sulfite is an insulating crystal & causes degradation to the plates wearing & chipping off the lead plates.

Trickle chargers that claim to blast off lead sulphite with a specific frequency of electrical pulses sound like snake oil, but do work a fair bit. They won't fix a shorter cell, but can rejuvenate and/or prolong the life of a lead acid battery a decent bit.

I'm a big believer in trickle chargers, especially smart ones with the pulse stuff I previously mentioned. I've got a solar Battery Minder in the beater F250 that doesn't get used much & stopped having dead battery issues in it since it was installed.

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #8  
SO I have been doomed with the need for a 4th deep cycle battery for my 2 ton MAXAM dump trailer and well, its become expensive as I do not use the trailer the year round and the pump and 12 volt motor are still brand new after 5 years etc., etc.

Would it be worth the effort to just use 4-0 cables with a set of jumper clamps one for the battery and the just hard wiring the trailers pump with battery connectors and storing the wire bundle in the trailers battery and pump box.

Any thoughts, insights and suggestions would be welcome. The battery is shot and was charged and it was tested.

I have a solar panel units charging all of my trailers' batteries...as long as there is sunlight...:)

Pulse Tech 12v 5 Watt Solar Charger with Desulfator Controller | SP-5

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #9  
What is (*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^

/ Dump trailer batteries )(*&^%&*()(*&^%&*()(*&^ #10