Dump Trailer Battery

/ Dump Trailer Battery
The Anderson connectors usually have a rubber cap. I simply coil the cable up and store it in the battery compartment when not in use
I agree and I was thinking about the tilt trailer it doesn't have a box close to the hitch, I should have been more clear.

/ Dump Trailer Battery #42  
Add one?

/ Dump Trailer Battery
now that you mentioned it I do have a spare 50 cal box somewhere

/ Dump Trailer Battery #44  
I agree and I was thinking about the tilt trailer it doesn't have a box close to the hitch, I should have been more clear.
So is the battery,pump,relay and other components exposed to the sun and rain?

/ Dump Trailer Battery
So is the battery,pump,relay and other components exposed to the sun and rain?
no they are in a box but it is about 12 feet from the hitch, so that I can keep the connector clean and safe I need some way to store it. a box or even another connector mounted close to the hitch.

/ Dump Trailer Battery #46  
I mounted a knockoff pelican case from harbor freight to mine, it holds all my 'stuff', works great.

TR_HF1.jpg

TR_HF2.jpg

/ Dump Trailer Battery #47  
I put a load meter on the hyd motor and it indeed draws ~200amps while dumping…..I wondered if a starting battery would be better for high draw short cycles, 200a for around 2 minutes is quite a bit of power….
Some AGM batteries can handle both deep cycling and the high peak loads of starting. However, they aren't cheap, and most AGM batteries have a slightly different fully charged voltage and different charge and float voltages than a standard flooded lead-acid battery, so connecting them in parallel with standard batteries can be a problem.

/ Dump Trailer Battery #48  
Battery dependent dump trailers aren't intended for daily, all day short haul duty. If a person is going into the dirt business they should start with pto driven pumps and winches. You can run those from daylight to dark or 24 hours per day without a hiccup. What people are doing here isn't improving equipment, it's jerry rigging and we know where that will eventually lead.

/ Dump Trailer Battery #49  
I actually solved a lot of issues by adding some quick disconnects on the hyd lines from the lift cylinder. Then rather than tow with the truck which for me is really too small, (Tacoma) I use the tractor and use made up hyd lines to a rear remote. No more battery problems! Annnd, being a slow moving vehicle, in this area at least, no plates, no CDL, no nothing to worry about, just display the SMV sign and go. The M7060 12 speed does 39kph. Plenty fast for a 5-8mile trip into town.
A truck with a PTO would be handy though! I suspect some of us that end up with issues use these trailers hard for a few days here and there, then hardly at all for weeks. There’s really no ideal out of the box solution.

/ Dump Trailer Battery #50  
A truck with a PTO would be handy though! I suspect some of us that end up with issues use these trailers hard for a few days here and there, then hardly at all for weeks. There’s really no ideal out of the box solution.
Several pieces of equipment meets the seldom used description. I've often wondered how a co-op ownership with members renting equipment from themselves would work. Whether a member or not,a business with space and manpower would be paid to handle rentals. Equipment might even be available to non-members. The question is whether co-owners would take better care of equipment than when its borrowed. I've heard of barter clubs but never talked to anyone with experience. The more expensive or shorter lived equipment earns more points per day/hour than lesser equipment. Bartering lends itself to equipment owner operating it as well. As combines have grown larger and more sophisticated fewer farmers in my area own one and hire their crops harvested.