dump trailer blues

/ dump trailer blues #1  

jiminpa

Bronze Member
Tractor
massy 35 diesel
my dump trailer motor seems to to blew up. nothing when i push the up button.12.8 volts to the solenoid on the motor.replaced the solenoid.still nothing. how can i check the motor for open windings? also how do i raise the body to get at the motor?

/ dump trailer blues #2  
Disconnect the hoses (assuming the valve has no float) and pick it up with your loader. Block it up and be safe. It will fall FAST without the hydraulics to slow it.

I'm assuming you used a meter and verified you have power to the solenoid. Also assuming that there isn't a thermal overload kick out that needs to be pressed. I'd take the power wire off and ohm from the lug to the motor body to look for isolation. At a guess, the motor is toes up. Probably a cheap unit from the land of great walls.

/ dump trailer blues #3  
I thought the power units were mounted in the V in front of the bed. I would be moving that...

/ dump trailer blues #4  
Make sure you have a good ground at the motor also.

Dave

/ dump trailer blues #5  
A similar thing happened to me, while I was at the dump. Trailer went up, but would not go down. I had to crack a fitting to get it to go down.

I checked everything, and was about to replace the soleniod valve that returns fluid to the reservoir, when I decided to check the wiring on the plug that attaches the controller to the dump trailer. Sure enough, it was shorted out.

Now exactly the same thing can happen with the "raise" function as the "lower" function. Check out all of the wiring on the control unit, especially on the plug. Mine was good quality components, but a very poor assembly job. This is a lot cheaper, and safer, than working on the motor or solenoid, and might just solve the problem.