Dump trailer maintenance

/ Dump trailer maintenance #1  

alexinPA

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I bought this LoadTrail 12' dump trailer back in 2003. Not much use every year. Still working fine, no problem. Now i think is time to change hydraulic oil. Better late then never...
What is the procedure for doing that? Guess both cylinder and oil reservoir need to be emptied. How to purge air after?

/ Dump trailer maintenance #2  
Empty the reservoir with the cylinders retracted, refill to cold full. Mine uses ATF so check the correct fluid for yours. Fully lift and lower again, recheck fluid level.

Check your manual to see if bleeding is required, I do not bleed mine, but, would hate to go against mfg.

Best,

ed

/ Dump trailer maintenance
Empty the reservoir with the cylinders retracted, refill to cold full. Mine uses ATF so check the correct fluid for yours. Fully lift and lower again, recheck fluid level.

Check your manual to see if bleeding is required, I do not bleed mine, but, would hate to go against mfg.

Best,

ed
No need to empty the cylinder? Manual said what you just said, no mention about bleeding. I don't want new oil to mix with whatever left in the system. Could be different oils

/ Dump trailer maintenance #4  
No need to empty the cylinder? Manual said what you just said, no mention about bleeding. I don't want new oil to mix with whatever left in the system. Could be different oils
Refill with recommended fluid for sure. Retracted cylinders is the best you can do short of some elaborate flush system.

If the fluid has been contaminated, repeat instructions 3 times and call it good, if not once should be fine.

Best,

ed

/ Dump trailer maintenance #5  
Is your dump both power up and power down or just power up? If just power up, you will have minimal oil in the hoses. Just change the oil in the reservoir and the change the filter. What oil is left in the hoses will not hurt anything. If you wish, you can disconnect the hoses and drain them. If both power up and down, raise the bed, drain the reservoir and then and then just crack a fitting on the raise hose at the cylinder. CAUTION!!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL when doing this as the bed will lower. DO NOT allow yourself to be between ANY frame members. Just loosen the fitting only about a 1/2 turn, just enough to set oil ooze out. It will try to spray out so wrap a rag around it. After all oil is out re-tighten the loosened fitting then refill the system with the recommended fluid and cycle the system. Then refill the system.

/ Dump trailer maintenance
Is your dump both power up and power down or just power up? If just power up, you will have minimal oil in the hoses. Just change the oil in the reservoir and the change the filter. What oil is left in the hoses will not hurt anything. If you wish, you can disconnect the hoses and drain them. If both power up and down, raise the bed, drain the reservoir and then and then just crack a fitting on the raise hose at the cylinder. CAUTION!!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL when doing this as the bed will lower. DO NOT allow yourself to be between ANY frame members. Just loosen the fitting only about a 1/2 turn, just enough to set oil ooze out. It will try to spray out so wrap a rag around it. After all oil is out re-tighten the loosened fitting then refill the system with the recommended fluid and cycle the system. Then refill the system.
It is power up/power down. Which one is raise hose? Location?
Thanks,

/ Dump trailer maintenance #7  
If you can, post a side view picture with the bed raised, showing the cylinder and hoses.