Dumping offroad military trailer

/ Dumping offroad military trailer
Thank you! At an extremely leisurely pace, it may take a min. to dump the trailer. The "holder" pin has to be removed, I use a bungee chord to tension the upper portion of the jack to keep it from flopping around, so that has to be removed, and my Highlift has a handle isolator that needs to be slid up the post. I pretty much jack until half way, then need to get up on the trailer's frame to finish the other half as the handle raises with the dumper. I would guess that at most (when 1st starting) it probably takes 75lbs of downforce on the jack's handle... and that becomes less as the dumper becomes more vertical. Perhaps I'll try to make a video with a load of snow once she's back together and out of the garage. LOL

Trust me... I don't have $2500 kicking around either. This was $300 for the trailer here, $120 for tires there and so on for three years. LOL It all adds up.

I plan to go visite the original owner with it in the spring. He was a pretty cool old fella that liked tinkering too.

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #22  
I thought of that. It's main purpose will be gravel and crusher dust. Worst case with those will be a couple handfulls left behind. I could also just put some angled sheet steel to defelect material.
they make agricultural dumpboxes tapered to make them empty easier... your deflectors would still have the taper the other way around ;)

Drilled though the gate to instal the U bolts... welded to the square tube. Welded the quare tube to the plate some more while I was there.

001_zps7b795d2c.jpg

002_zps34b8f9f6.jpg

Ta da!

003_zpsb631bc90.jpg

One minor drawback is that the chains have to be pulled in in order to close the gate

004_zps3d666cea.jpg

Finished the square tube upper edge

005_zps4cc59d64.jpg

I suck at matching up miters... don't look too close LOL

006_zpse44fa0cf.jpg

Patched up some holes

007_zps27635f6b.jpg

and started to reinforce the gate. I used 1X1/4" angle just because that's what was in my stockpile. I would have rather 1/8"

008_zps0bfba3be.jpg

I'd like to do the same to the bottom, but it would keep the gate from dropping down all the way. I'll figgure something out. May weld some of that round tubing to the crossmember so the gate's edge would sit on it in the horizontal position, but slide over when folded down.

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #24  
nice build. I used a boat winch to dump the one I built. Works great. I course I have to hand crank it up, but it is easy.

Upper hinges and pins

020_zpsd035c7fc.jpg

grab hook for adjustment and u-bolt

023_zps0ed19daa.jpg

The pics suck because my two year old messed up all the settings on the camera

024_zpsa1123a4e.jpg

Thanks! Tomorrow's payday and I have it off, so I'll be picking up some supplies and hittin' 'er hard! : )

/ Dumping offroad military trailer #28  
When you have a cubic yard of sand/crushed stone etc in that slick lil thing its gonna weigh about the same as your TJ or my JD4300. Plenty to be cruisin MY trails with.....