/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements
We talk a lot about grapples here. Thoughts on other attachments? Specifically box blades and landscape rakes?

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #92  
My EA box blade. They were the cheapest, heaviest blade (96") I could find. I'm new to using a box blade so I am learning but it has held up to an old stone area I was loosening up with the teeth. I have also ripped out some decent roots clearing a path through the woods. Gannon had a similar heavy blade but with hydraulic controlled scarifiers and a significant price increase.

Attachments

• 20220620_185909.jpg
    20220620_185909.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 72
   / EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #93  
I love my 55" wicked grapple, done everything I ever asked it to in my brief use of it. But if anyone needs one asap anywhere near lower Michigan, it's for sale if you need one, for a reduced price. I'll probably regret selling it but I already have another one and my wife keeps draining my checking account so I could use the cash LOL.

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #94  
Just tossing it out there, have you looked at Jenkins Iron and Steel?

I have a pretty heavy duty grapple from there and is well made. Might be a bit heavier than the other options but might be worth looking at too. Website says 3 week lead time.
I looked at (on paper) the Jenkins. The Grade 50 steel is nowhere near as durable as the AR450 while weighing tremendously more.

/ EA Attachments vs Homestead Implements #95  
I'm going to throw this out there because I am really curious. What is the differences that would make one better than the other? For example how does the the EA Wicked 60 measure up against the HI Root Grapple Pinnacle series?

EA Wicked 60
https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...ch-Wicked-Root-Rake-Grapple-p/eta-60-wrrg.htm

Homestead Root Grapple Pinnacle Series

The differences I see are:
Weight - HI is lighter
Price - Homestead is cheaper by about $1000
Durability - Not sure here. Hardox teeth on both. Cylinders looks the same from a spec perspective. Maybe the tubing/piping is the difference?
Utility - Openings are about the same.
Build/lead time - 16 weeks for EA and 7-8 for Homestead (this is kind of a big deal)
Shipping - HI ships to home for free (also kind of a big deal)

Is EA, at $1000 more plus double the lead/build time, plus no free home delivery a better purchase in any way?
Not for compacts, but HI's Utility version uses 1/2" Hardox (though not doubled/laminated at digging point, which, I believe, combines for 3/4" for EA, but only at engagement points). HI also has gusseted teeth (which might make up for the non-lam), four hinge points, and larger cylinders (3" x 10"). HI also has mechanical stops to protect cylinders from being over-extended or compacted.

Again, I'm describing their Utility unit. Even so, I'm trying to decide if EA's 1-7/8" thick-walled DOM tubing (on their Wicked 66) is superior to HI's 2" Schedule 80 piping. The Sch 80 is harder, but EA's DOM has 3x the wall thickness. Does this difference overcome the other differences? -- i.e., contemplating forces applied to framing rigidity vs. the strength of the teeth. EA's 3/4" (2 x 3/8") Hardox teeth bearing on that thick-walled tubing seems awfully tough. But HI's 1/2" Hardox throughout ain't no joke (although not doubled at dig points), and neither is Sch. 80.

I hope the info above is accurate -- it's what I gleaned from their respective web sites. I would welcome any corrections or feedback, including from EA and HI reps.

Last edited: