Eagles

/ Eagles
Great pictures!

I didn't realize Eagles would feed on dead spoils like buzzards.

I say this with respect. Eagles are vultures. Much less energy expended feeding on dead spoils than chasing something down and killing it. :)

/ Eagles
I recently saw a Red Tailed Hawk eating on a road kill deer. I had never seen that before.

Again, Opportunists. :)

/ Eagles #34  
Had an amazing scene play out while I was cutting a hay field I wasnt exactly thrilled to see, involving a bald eagle.
We have several Bald Eagles here. They love rivers and a river runs through the heart of my town.
One of my hay fields is next to said river.
I was cutting hay in late May. Sadly, I hit a fawn. It died immediately. As I continued to open up the field, the doe came out to the field to inspect the carnage.
Then an eagle approached, more than happy for some prepared venison. The doe would charge at the eagle as it landed near the carcass. This scene played out for a few hours until nightfall. They literally battled for the fawns carcass.
Haunts me to this day. One of the downsides of farming.

Last edited:
   / Eagles #35  
I use to throw dead shiners out to a couple of eagles on Lake Miccosukee. They became accustomed to the free meal and would circle my boat every time I went there.

I saw an exceptional buzzard dragging a rabbit off the highway once.

/ Eagles #36  
attachment.php

Attachments

• E708853D-BA51-4D8F-B392-A98A502E9F6A.jpeg
    E708853D-BA51-4D8F-B392-A98A502E9F6A.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 177
   / Eagles #37  
Interesting about the sizes. While juvenile bald eagles are larger in size than adults, it's because their feathers are longer than adults. They weigh considerably less than the adults. Also, adult female bald eagles are about 1/3 larger than adult male bald eagles.

Since we've been seeing more and more of them around here in the past decade, I've been reading up on them.

I am lucky to have a nest in my front yard and see them most every day, depending on season. This is the sixth year for the pair we have named Marge and Fred, after my parents. I installed ptz cameras and towers to get a better view. Marge on the left is bigger than Fred. Fred has a band on his right talon.7DB96560-0B2C-4B98-9013-4BBC2BFC3062.jpeg1A6C813E-C91E-4B30-ADF1-55499CB283AF.jpeg

/ Eagles #38  
You have a really great setup, robstaples. Do you ever get a chance for pictures of the young. Fred is a lot more suspicious/curious than Marge.

I have a single pair of Canadian geese that nest on my lake every year. It can not be the same pair. This has been going on for over 35 years. Just one pair and they actively drive all others off.

/ Eagles #40  
I am lucky to have a nest in my front yard and see them most every day, depending on season. This is the sixth year for the pair we have named Marge and Fred, after my parents. I installed ptz cameras and towers to get a better view. Marge on the left is bigger than Fred. Fred has a band on his right talon.View attachment 683697View attachment 683698

Nice pictures! :thumbsup: